Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why do people post images to gallery sites?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Hugeknot
Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2005 - 5:26 AM

To take advantage of a unique artistic opportunity. I can't think of another art form where you can get instant responses by sharing with like minded people. I am a musician, but if I could upload a new song or recording and have other musician appraise my work honestly, I would spend less time on this website.

Oh and I selfishly love getting c#*!$s.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Sep 2005 - 5:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mixpix
Mixpix  101058 forum posts England
15 Sep 2005 - 5:29 AM

Boredom... A lot of the stuff I post is not good and I know that when I post it. I do it simply because the opportunity is there and quite often I regret it very soon after.

robertnorbury
15 Sep 2005 - 5:39 AM

try www.thehideaway.org if you want to upload songs and pictures.

It's not that I don't like the picture of the conker I just wonder what motivated it.

My motivation is mainly to create something interesting or stimilating that other people want to look at. People do want to look at my stuff, it is on sale in various outlets and I am going to a gallery opening tonight in Leeds featuring my work.

The trouble with this site is that people are only complimentary. I would like to stimulate debate.

If people want to look at pictures of conkers fine, but I don't think you would sell it in a gallery.
Robert

robertnorbury
15 Sep 2005 - 5:44 AM

I would tend to take more notice of abwhitt if he/she had actually posted any pictures on this site.

I've shown you mine now show me yours.
Robert

Mixpix
15 Sep 2005 - 5:49 AM

Its all subjective Robert, he may not have any pictures but he is still entitled to his opinion. There may be numerous reasons he hasn't posted, maybe he is just too embarrassed. I don't know him so I don't know.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2005 - 5:49 AM

Where in Leeds Robert if I may ask? I'm sure people would be interested, especially if its as good as alot of work on your web site.

Hugeknot
Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2005 - 5:52 AM

Thanks Robert, I have registered with the site.

ardbeg77
ardbeg77  101214 forum posts Sao Tome and Principe6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2005 - 5:58 AM

Thanks Robert - that clarifies your position slightly for me.

I agree more constructive criticism is better - but I think there is a lot more around now if you look.

Good luck with the exhibition.

Steve

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2005 - 6:07 AM

Quote: It's not that I don't like the picture of the conker I just wonder what motivated it.

Hopefully I have answered that on the picture now

Quote: My motivation is mainly to create something interesting or stimilating that other people want to look at.

Me too Smile

Quote: The trouble with this site is that people are only complimentary. I would like to stimulate debate.

Nothing wrong with that.

Quote: If people want to look at pictures of conkers fine, but I don't think you would sell it in a gallery.

May be not, but is that the standard for what makes art good? I bet it would if it had Damien hurst, or tracy Emins name on it Smile

Chris

kevan
kevan  12447 forum posts
15 Sep 2005 - 6:08 AM

With all due respect, Robert, you seem to be being somewhat hypocritical. In your profile you state that "everybody's art is their own" and yet you are being dismissive of someone else's work, implying it is trite and unworthy.

Why should a conker be any less worthy a photographic subject than a discarded glove and piece of rubbish, or a lamp in the shape of a star?

Perhaps you don't appreciate the tension between the sharp spines and smooth skin? or maybe the fact that only a small section of the whole is shown? (less is more remember?)

In general, I am not one to appreciate a great deal of so-called 'fine-art' photography, much of which relies on grand statements about the 'concept' to hold water, rather than the visual (photography is, after all, a visual art). However, I am open-minded enough to appreciate that some imagery, although not something I would consider producing myself, has aesthetic merit. Maybe you should be a little more open-minded yourself?

Kevan

nigelf22
nigelf22  9583 forum posts
15 Sep 2005 - 6:12 AM

Jackson Pollock....?

Surreal mispelling moment - now corrected

Mixpix
15 Sep 2005 - 6:14 AM

Its a cool conker Smile

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
15 Sep 2005 - 10:26 AM

Quote: Why would anyone want to look at a close-up of a conker for example?

Or a bunch of carrots or a window? The only thing I would say about your portfolio, is it's different

Whats wrong with conkers, or carrots for that matter?

By the way, nice portfolio!

Cephus
Cephus  92100 forum posts England
15 Sep 2005 - 10:33 AM

The carrots were a bit on the manky side.

:o)

Peter

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
15 Sep 2005 - 10:52 AM

Blackadder???

Crikey it's the Milky Bar Kid!

LoL

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.