Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why do so many want to be ......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AlistairF
AlistairF  8322 forum posts
14 Mar 2006 - 3:49 AM

I have been hanging around here for getting on for six months now and if Ive seen it once Ive seen it once Ive seen it many times.

Id like to make a living out of taking pictures / landscapes/ weddings etc

and Im wondering what the attraction is and why so many people appear to be living a life they dont enjoy?

Oh of course there is the attraction of working for yourself etc but Im sure all the pros here will tell you, photography is just like any other job, once you are doing it to pay the bills is ceases to be a hobby Im sure its still fun but it is what pays the bills.

Is it a romantic idea of being paid mega money to travel the world, take a few pictures, stay in 5 star hotels and travel first class at a clients expense ?

But for a few, surely this is just a dream, all be it a very nice one indeed?

Alistair

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Mar 2006 - 3:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserRemoved
14 Mar 2006 - 3:58 AM

Quote: Is it a romantic idea of being paid mega money to travel the world, take a few pictures, stay in 5 star hotels and travel first class at a clients expense ?

Shhhh, dont tell everyone, they will all want a go!

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2006 - 3:59 AM

Well one can obviously see the attraction of trying to make a living from your hobby/interest etc. However, there is a big difference between clearing 500 a week profit from photography and selling a few prints etc.

And I suspect that you've hit the nail on the head in that it's ultimately for most, just another job. I can't imagine that there's too much glamour/thrills in photographing the items for the Argos catalogue!

Like most things in life I suppect that those with some genuine talent (& probably more importantly those with determination and drive) may make a living from it. I wouldn't knock those who give it a go and persue their dreams just that in many cases I suspect that reality is rather harsh.

As an afterthought perhaps those who have given it a go could give us their experiences; good or bad?

AlistairF
14 Mar 2006 - 4:00 AM

Ooopps Sorry Joe ; - )

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2006 - 4:13 AM

Quote: why so many people appear to be living a life they dont enjoy?
Its not the life they are living but the work, its been a long time since I spoe to someone whoe enjoys their job and even less since I found somone who would do their job if they wern't paid for it.

Like winning the lottery, be paid for something you enjoy doing is a dream for most people, so why have a go at people who want to dream?

forestnil
forestnil  9183 forum posts England
14 Mar 2006 - 4:17 AM

I for one would love to stop in 5* hotels across the world, and photograph all the places that I want to go to on this planet, but with a mortgage & two young children the harsh reality is that the day job takes preference, and the camera left to the spare moments I have. I take stock photography for an agency in London, and if this continues to supply a cheque every 6 months or so then so be it. I'm in the process of designing my own website as a means of showing off my images, and if people like them enough to by them then that gives me the inspiration to keep on going!

onewildworld
14 Mar 2006 - 4:19 AM

Quote: its been a long time since I spoke to someone who enjoys their job

You're right Chris, I haven't spoken to you since Epping. Mental note - get in touch soon! Wink

Quote: and even less since I found somone who would do their job if they wern't paid for it

The jury is still out on that one though. I guess if I had enough money to not need to be paid, I'd still do it....

Dave

AlistairF
14 Mar 2006 - 4:20 AM

Chris,

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here; I am not having a go at anyone at all, far from it. We all have dreams and they are just that dreams and as for the job v the life, a large part of life is taken up by work so work becomes the life IMHO
Alistair

vambo
vambo  8151 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Mar 2006 - 4:25 AM

I have a job (not related to photography although I generally take a camera along) that involves a lot of foreign travel and staying in 5* hotels; and while I'm sure you're thinking 'lucky sod' - I can assure you it all becomes pretty tiresome very quickly. Most of the time I'd rather be at home.

I'm all for people having a dream; I have dozens! but please remember to find pleasure in the life you actually have - this is not a dress rehearsal.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2006 - 4:26 AM

Dave,Sorry I didn't count what you do as work Wink

Quote: a large part of life is taken up by work so work becomes the life IMHO

blimey that's sad, I always thought of work as where you get the dosh to pay for the life.

UserRemoved
14 Mar 2006 - 4:33 AM

Quote: I have a job (not related to photography although I generally take a camera along) that involves a lot of foreign travel and staying in 5* hotels; and while I'm sure you're thinking 'lucky sod' - I can assure you it all becomes pretty tiresome very quickly. Most of the time I'd rather be at home.

Well said, I used to have a job like that, lots of travel, lots of staying in really nice hotels.
After about month the reality of sitting in the same corporate looking four walls with room service trying to find some football on the local tv does get to you Wink

As my mate once said, the Hilton in Moscow looks very like the Hilton in Rio, Jo'burg, Sydney, NY etc etc. If you only have 3 days in each place and are working 8-6 with clients and preparing for 3 hours each night for the next day...

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2006 - 5:14 AM

I have a job that involves travel and staying in 2 star hotels, and being in factories/industrial estates etc during daylight hours, and traveling early morning or evening.

Shakes head and wonders where he went wrong

John_Duckett
14 Mar 2006 - 5:32 AM

Alister,

I have been self employed before but sadly it didn't work out. I have since been employed for nearly 7 years and love the security, pension, paid holidays and sickness etc but.....

I would still go self employed as a photographer tomorrow if I could just earn as much money as I do now from my day job. I don't want to earn anymore then that. For me I just wish I could spend more time taking shots, suppling galleries and selling at shows etc, working Monday to Friday and every other Saturday morning I just cann't do it without taking the plunge and finding another way of earning money from photography. (hense the Wedding Audio Visual CD thread)

Cheers

John

AlistairF
14 Mar 2006 - 6:28 AM

John, I think you hit the nail on the head, to replace what you have and earn it from photography would not be easy at all. It takes a special desire to move away from that security blanket and I commend you for giving it a try and am glad that it has worked out for you in the end.

Ive taken a look at the thread you mentioned and wish you well, good thought about the royalties in music, I think the performing rights society can grant a blanket license for this kind of thing for a couple of hundred pounds. At least that is what restaurants use/used to use, Im a bit out of date.

Alistiar

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2006 - 6:35 AM

There are three types of Full Time Paid Photographer.

1. He/she knows how to do nothing else, they don't particularly enjoy the job any more than anybody enjoys theirs...it's just what they do.

2. He/she lives, breathes, thinks, loves photography and the fact that they get paid for doing it is a sideline of fantastic, unbelievable luck.

3. as above...only one day they realised that there was real money to be made if they applied their mind to it...and as a result the 'love' part may or may not still survive. Without doubt the 'live' will, although it's doubtful if 'breathes' does.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.