Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why do they always get it wrong?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

timbo
timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Mar 2008 - 1:31 PM

Watching telly last night - casualty 1907 i was amused to see, yet again, a photographer taking photos with his head under the dark cloth looking through a view camera.
This is impossible as he would have had to put the slide into the camera once he'd focussed obscuring the view.
This is a really common mistake seen in tv and films but why? don't they have photographer's at the bbc who would point out the error?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Mar 2008 - 1:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023103 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2008 - 1:36 PM

Why would a photographer particularly know?...plus it's the BBC...not a place bristling with good stills photographers.

There are some who have just said - "Slide?"
Wink

Last Modified By keithh at 31 Mar 2008 - 1:37 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014838 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2008 - 1:46 PM

In the grand scheme of things, I think I'll live - but thanks for letting us know.

Smile

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2008 - 1:49 PM

It's like the westerns where cowboys shoot 10 - 12 rounds from a six shot revolver. No eye for detail, granted, but not terribly important in the grand scheme of things.

timbo
timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Mar 2008 - 1:57 PM

You're right of course, not important in the grand scheme, suppose i should be pleased he wasn't trying to get the nurses to strip off for some seedy shots, my other - main - gripe about the portrayal of photographer's on the screen.

Last Modified By timbo at 31 Mar 2008 - 1:57 PM
MattGrayson
31 Mar 2008 - 1:59 PM

I watched the first episode of Britains next top model last year and Lisa Snowdon said that some paparazzi were on the other side of the door waiting to take pictures.
Sure enough, about seven guys were there using a Minolta Dimage 7, an Olympus OM and other archaic cameras.
Paparazzi? Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2008 - 2:31 PM

I spotted it straight away - how could the guy be using a camera in 1907? It would be another 90 years before the laptop is invented - what would he do with the files till then?

ripleysalien
31 Mar 2008 - 2:57 PM

For my sins I noticed on an episode of Hotel Babylon the other week, the Paps waiting for the "star" to arrive, they had dslrs but entry ones with built in flash, and not one of them held it like a seasond tog would, makes me laugh when I see it,

I know get ya coat........................

Steve

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2008 - 3:04 PM

Quote: what would he do with the files till then?

He'd have an assistant who would laboriously write down the string of 1s and 0s on a piece of paper. Obvious, really. Wink

MattGrayson
31 Mar 2008 - 3:09 PM

Quote: For my sins I noticed on an episode of Hotel Babylon the other week, the Paps waiting for the "star" to arrive, they had dslrs but entry ones with built in flash, and not one of them held it like a seasond tog would, makes me laugh when I see it,

I know get ya coat........................

Steve

Actually, I noticed that too. Much to the annoyance of my disgruntled other half. Smile

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2008 - 3:21 PM

Quote: I noticed that too. Much to the annoyance of my disgruntled other half.

I get that when I say something about mistakes in subtitle translations. Like last night, when someone said he was "playing hooky", and the ass of a subtitle translator had made it (in Dutch) "playing ice hockey".

Occupational deformation, no doubt, noticing things like that. Smile

pepperst
pepperst  72328 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2008 - 4:04 PM

Glad I am not the only one, but historical inaccuracies get my goat. Especially the tudors.

Think I am just a grumpy arse as well thou

MattGrayson
31 Mar 2008 - 4:10 PM

I hate it when someone recaps a memory and we see it from the third person view that was shown earlier in the film.
"I remember walking down the road" and we see him/her walking towards the camera instead of a first person view of actually walking down the road. It's possible to do.

pepperst
pepperst  72328 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2008 - 4:12 PM

and the muffled voices that you have in the memory shots as well

keith selmes
31 Mar 2008 - 5:21 PM

A lot of the time, cameras in films are used as theatrical props - i.e. historical accuracy gives way to dramatic effect, or whatever trip the actor is on at the time.
If I took it seriously, I'd shudder at what they do.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.