Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why do we bother

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85835 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 10:13 PM

Let's just pack up and come home

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jan 2014 - 10:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

phil1963
phil1963 e2 Member 2264 forum postsphil1963 vcard United Kingdom
4 Jan 2014 - 10:21 PM

some people just want to live by violenceSadSadSad

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 10:44 PM

Quote: Let's just pack up and come home

Didn't we leave Iraq in 2009 anyway ?

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
4 Jan 2014 - 11:09 PM

By coincidence I've just finished a book written by an American SEAL which included details of their long, laborious campaign to take over Fallujia...while I'm not overly fond of stories where the USA win wars/battles all by themselves..they had a hard job, with all kinds of losses and injuries..they really must be thinking what was the point....

Cephus
Cephus  92115 forum posts England
4 Jan 2014 - 11:12 PM

Seconded!!

franken
franken e2 Member 113027 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 11:27 PM

Seconded!!

The UK has already done that.

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 11:31 PM

Quote: By coincidence I've just finished a book written by an American SEAL which included details of their long, laborious campaign to take over Fallujia...while I'm not overly fond of stories where the USA win wars/battles all by themselves..they had a hard job, with all kinds of losses and injuries..they really must be thinking what was the point....

All fine until you realise why the attacked the city - it was a situation engineered specifically to justify the attack and based on a mickey-mouse operation by a group of mercenaries (aka Blackwater). I am not decrying the bravery of the soldiers but this was another 'lions led by donkeys' scenario.

Graysta
Graysta  91131 forum posts England
5 Jan 2014 - 7:45 AM

As long as they stay there and murder each other it's not our problem,as soon as anyone else gets involved they become the target or so it seems.Leave them to it.

dcash29
dcash29  81887 forum posts England
5 Jan 2014 - 9:06 AM

Its been apparent to me for a long time why these countries are ruled with a very firm hand.

Graysta
Graysta  91131 forum posts England
5 Jan 2014 - 9:15 AM

Quote: Its been apparent to me for a long time why these countries are ruled with a very firm hand.

Exactly right
That's why Saddam had the key to the Asylum.
Keep the dictator on a short lead and the lunatics will stay in control

Last Modified By Graysta at 5 Jan 2014 - 9:20 AM
collywobles
5 Jan 2014 - 9:46 AM

The Middle East has been at each others throats for as long as I can remember. They are a tribal culture who for one reason and another just cannot get on with each other. Its a shame it was them who got all the oil........

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2014 - 1:23 PM

Which is why I despaired when I heard that one of the London borough councils had, within a short time of the invasion, sent an 'equalities commissioner' to foster women's human rights. While the aim was laudable it showed a crass an complete lack of understanding of the true local issues and what was needed on the ground. Unfortunately it was a mere microcosm of the way the whole thing was managed from its inception.
The book 'Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone' gives a devastating account of how the neocons looked at anyone with any local knowledge as sympathetic to the Iraqi regime and was immediately marginalised. From there on they had no chance of fostering an agreement between the different tribal and religious factions.

Last Modified By mikehit at 5 Jan 2014 - 1:23 PM
thewilliam
5 Jan 2014 - 1:53 PM

It saddens me that our rulers feel the urge to foist democracy upon people who find it utterly alien.

Maybe it's just the modern version of the Jesuit missionaries who used Christianity as a convenient tool to subdue Latin America back in the 16th and 17th centuries.

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101437 forum postsdark_lord vcard England119 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2014 - 2:26 PM

Quote: where the USA win wars/battles all by themselves

Wink Tongue

Quote: not decrying the bravery of the soldiers

I don't think anyone would dispute the bravery, they are in the hands of their political masters, it's just that they are the most visible element of a war.

Quote: the London borough councils

Cloud cuckoo land is too down to earth for them Grin

Cephus
Cephus  92115 forum posts England
5 Jan 2014 - 6:21 PM

Seconded!!

The UK has already done that.

I Knew that. WinkTongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.