Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why do you hide your recent activity?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014796 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 7:44 AM

Points in the Forum? I never heard of that Jools.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Apr 2011 - 7:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
23 Apr 2011 - 8:02 AM

Im unsure if its default to hide or not?

But as the site gives you the option, I have other sections hidden as well.

In my opinion its having a some privacy. Yes people may search the site and retrieve your comments but it stops them trawling through the list.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64430 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 8:44 AM

Me too. Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 10:21 AM

Quote: In my opinion its having a some privacy

That's fair enough, and thanks for sharing.

I guess that begs the follow up question....

"why do you need privacy on EPZ?"

or "what do you want to stop people finding out?"

Smile

Imagephotographics

I decided to hide mine quite some time ago now, after receiving a message from the critique team telling me that I'm not critical enough of other peoples work. Obviously my comments had been monitored resulting in slapped wrists - so that's a part of the reason for my privacy.

This is something I'll never do, as I believe we all need encouragement, not the wind knocked from our sails.

I received a PM only a few days ago asking if I would act as a critique for someone's work, I replied I wouldn't in that way, but would be more than happy to help if I could via PM.

In the couple of years I have been on this site I have never before looked at the comments in the forums, and now I wish I hadn't, as they have left me feeling sickened by the general attitude and snide comments, you'd think they had been written by children who didn't know any better.

Why do some men feel the need to start arguments ?

I feel that it's like Big Brother, I made the most awful mistake a few weeks back in putting one of my images under the wrong category, which was picked up on, and my image received a snide remark - corrected now !

Well I'm off now to take some photographs - far more enjoyable than reading through this rubbish, and I won't be back either to be wound up even further, as I feel quite sure there will be derogatory feedback, you just can't help yourselves.

Bye ...........................................................................

Chris

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: This is something I'll never do, as I believe we all need encouragement, not the wind knocked from our sails.

=
Quote: Well I'm off now to take some photographs - far more enjoyable than reading through this rubbish, and I won't be back either to be wound up even further, as I feel quite sure there will be derogatory feedback, you just can't help yourselves.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 12:17 PM

Quote: receiving a message from the critique team telling me that I'm not critical enough of other peoples work.

I'm not the team member who sent that PM, but I'll try to explain why it may have been sent.

People put photos in the CG for critique - so they are after some constructive criticism from which to learn.

We have a lot of well-meaning people putting "nice pic" type comments on these shots - whilst this is nice and friendly, it isn't what the poster of the shot wants. They want to know how they can improve

Putting "wonderful shot" next to a flawed shot doesn't help anyone - it wastes your time in typing and also "fools" the recipient into thinking that their shot is wonderful because they got that comment in the critique gallery

(note that praise for a good CG shot is obviously encouraged - just say "why" it's good, is all we'd recommend).

Now the truth is, you don't "need" to look at Recent Activity to spot people giving false praise. We look through the CG daily and it's obvious who's doing it - anyone can see that. In fact, I've never looked through the Recent Activity of anyone for CG purposes.

dcash29
23 Apr 2011 - 2:26 PM

Quote: why do you need privacy on EPZ?"

I have the right to make the decision and I choose to have privacy, .

Quote: or "what do you want to stop people finding out?

Nothing really, i like to make things challenging for the nosey buggers that have nowt else better to do Grin

What i'd like to know Ade is..... why are you wanting to know?
Why makes you so concerned that you have to start a thread about it?
Does it bother you so much if people hide things?...lol

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
23 Apr 2011 - 2:38 PM

Chris (Imagephotographics) is ( or was ) one of the most prolific gallery commenters/voters - (doesn't look right but you know what I mean!) - on the site and has therefore contributed a significant amount of time, effort and dedication.

I find it hard to believe she was criticised for some minor/petty infringement!

I hope you do come back Chris as it is people like you that the site needs.
Sad

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 2:47 PM

Quote: I find it hard to believe she was criticised for some minor/petty infringement!

I'm not aware of this. What happened?

ade_mcfade
23 Apr 2011 - 3:31 PM

I think it was an incorrect tag on a photo pete....

Quote: What i'd like to know Ade is..... why are you wanting to know?

Bored... that's the main reason. just trying to think of something to talk about on the forum - the place is pretty dead, so thought I'd see if this would stir anything up

Quote: Why makes you so concerned that you have to start a thread about it?

"concerned" is probably the wrong word

My theory is, and it's been mentioned above, that people hide their activity because they are serial "nice pic" type commenters who shamelessly add meaningless comments to people's shots in order to harvest a reciprocal click. This is apparent for all to see in the Recent Activity, so to hide their embarrassment, they hide it.

the thread was started to see if anyone would say actually say that's why they hide their status Wink

Oddly enough, no one did... yet Wink

Quote: Does it bother you so much if people hide things?...lol

Bother is not the right word

amuse is...

I mean, people are so concerned/ashamed about their activities that they feel the need to hide it!

That's just funny.

Wink

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111546 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 3:39 PM

I hide my activity because I am a serial "nice pic" type commenter who shamelessly adds meaningless comments to people's shots in order to harvest a reciprocal click (See Here). This is apparent for all to see in the Recent Activity, so to hide my embarrassment, I hide it.

ade_mcfade
23 Apr 2011 - 3:44 PM

Hooray! Wink

dcash29
23 Apr 2011 - 5:09 PM

ok keep up the good work

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Apr 2011 - 6:36 PM

Quote: I've seen people say something in the forum and have thought "that's not what you were saying the other day, you're just saying that to be obtuse". Looking at their recent activity can often confirm they are a hypocrite.

I have seen you do that Chris and it can come across as a bit bullying on occasion. So someone contradicts themselves - big deal. People change their mind, or have slightly different versions of events according to who they're talking to or what they're emphasising in the conversation. If you're not married to them, work for them, or are their opposing candidate in the next local election, I don't see the point of pointing it out just to embarrass or hector them. (Otherwise.... hung drawn and quartered I say!)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.