Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

why do you not like country music

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Jan 2012 - 1:18 AM

Quote: You can't kill people and make clothes from their skin, just for having sex with animals, can you?

Don't know the line, what's the song? Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jan 2012 - 1:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2012 - 1:23 AM

Quote: Why do you not like country music?

I probably do, as long as it's real...American hard-edged country music

but of all the musical genres there are, apart from electronic boom boom chick chick boom boom urrrr-urrrr boom boom chick chick boom boom urrrr-urrrr...it's the dreaded genre called

COUNTRY AND IRISH PAP

and unfortunately it's probably the most popular form of music in my adopted home..

it's a parody of country music, heavy on JCB accordions, and lyrically obsessed with how lovely Ireland used to be, how green its valleys are, and how the local hills and glens are whatever happens to rhyme with the obscure name of a local townland. The rhythm is either bum - chick - chick or bum - chick - chic - chick, ...and the singers have a horribly sweet sickly nasal tone. The more American they try to sound, the more painful it gets

So back to the OP's question, it's a relative thing for me.... after hearing country and Irish pap for years, you'll love real country music

Stephen

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014816 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2012 - 4:07 AM

I like traditional country and western music, I'm not a big fan of today's country rock, I can take it or leave it, mostly leave it.Wink

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
22 Jan 2012 - 9:21 AM

Imagine ringing the Samaritans feeling suicidal and them putting you on hold with country music playing in your ear, I rekon that would tip you over the edge.Tongue

On the other hand being walked to your execution with your hands tied and a walkman in your ears with country music playing, would you smile at the axeman?

Last Modified By Graysta at 22 Jan 2012 - 9:22 AM
mad-dogs
mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
22 Jan 2012 - 9:59 AM

http://www.metaphoricalplatypus.com/ArticlePages%20Music/Country%20Music.html

Studies Investigating the Country Music-Suicide Link

Nearly 20 years ago, Stack and Gundlach (1992) made headlines, drew hate mail, and won an IgNoble Prize for discovering that country music fans had a higher suicide rate than fans of other music genres. Having conducted a multiple regression analysis in 49 areas of the United States, the pair found that in areas where country music was most popular (as evidenced by airtime devoted to it on local radio stations), the suicide rate among white people was higher. This result was not explainable by other factors such as divorce rates, poverty, or the availability of guns in the area. The researchers attribute this finding to the bleak themes in many older country music songs, which often focused on alcohol abuse, marital strife, financial difficulties, employment problems, and an overall sense of bitterness or hopelessness. They believe that this music may exacerbate a preexisting suicidal mood, though it is unlikely to trigger suicidal thoughts in an otherwise happy person.

Maguire and Snipes (1995), conducting their own study in 1994, were unable to replicate the results of Stack and Gundlach, so they have asserted that the country-music suicide link is spurious. Stack and Gundlach have responded by critiquing the latter's research method. Until further studies are conducted, it appears that the question is still open for debate, with the link between country music and suicide neither proved nor disproved definitively.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
22 Jan 2012 - 10:40 AM

Why do you not like country music?...............................

Because! Sad

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315587 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Jan 2012 - 12:33 PM

I went to a country fayre in Oregon, where we have an office, and there was a country singer doing a gig there. I was laughing so much I had to leave before the redneck in the next seat beat me up.

To be fair though, they do have both sorts of music in southern Oregon - Country and Western.

SimonAlesbrook
22 Jan 2012 - 1:17 PM

Johnny CAsh I am a fan of, but that is about it, tend to like odd songs from all genres really, like some of his stuff but not all etc., don't like the depressing stuff.

Next topic:

Who likes Showaddywaddy (apart from me?) Grin

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2012 - 1:29 PM

Wasn't that Fred Flintstone's favourite band?

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
22 Jan 2012 - 5:27 PM

Quote: Who likes Showaddywaddy

Saw em Live
Hull City Hall

youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 121015 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
22 Jan 2012 - 5:28 PM

i seen them in morecambe about 20 years ago

polis_928tadw59

George Jones, Buck Owen, Charlie Rich, Bobbie Bare,The Luvin Brothers, Conway Twitty, Jerry Lee Lewis, Loretta Lynn, and many more old timers . EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT YOU PHILISTINES. And I like Rock and Roll also;Grin

polis_928tadw59

Have I killed this thread. ?

keith selmes
24 Jan 2012 - 7:20 PM

Quote: Have I killed this thread. ?

I don't remember that one, could you hum it ?

youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 121015 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
24 Jan 2012 - 7:26 PM

NOPE about 65% of my music collection is country from elvis gospel to omd and kraftwork sparks some of the stuff they sell as country i will not buy such taylor swift. i like l cohen/john prine tom waits just cant get into his music adelle i like just browse around cd baby and itunes and discover new sounds look out for the tbird records two cds on one album

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.