Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why do you take photos?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Run its course and getting nowhere
TonyCoridan
7 Mar 2013 - 12:23 PM

Apart for those who do it for a living; why do you take photos? I know of people who don't make any money out of photography but still spend a lot of money in getting the latest 'better camera+lenses' just to take 'better quality photos'.

Why?Smile

Regards,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Mar 2013 - 12:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 - 12:32 PM

Main reason for me, is to get some 'Me' time - something I can do on my own, away from the hustle and bustle of every day life!! Being a dad to two children (11 and 5), and working more than full time, I try to use it to unwind and get away from it all.

Plus I enjoy trying to take better shots than I did last time I went out!

AlexandraSD
7 Mar 2013 - 12:37 PM

I take photos because i cant draw for toffee!

Probably not entirely true, i can draw, but it takes ages.

I don't know really, you have your subject, hold the camera up to your eye and then there is that little rush that suddenly comes from nowhere, that oh i think that might be a good image moment. I guess i see something in my head and then seak to reproduce it in the form of a photograph.

Photography is a distraction, escapism from a world of reality tv and trivial pursuits in general, and its a great way for your mind to focus on something other than a black mirrored box linked to the Sky.

Photography is an entirely selfish past time, its just me and the camera, no one else, and that suits me down to the ground Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 12:42 PM

too lazy to draw or paint

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139436 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 12:43 PM

It's an obsession to capture moments and observations, which would otherwise be lost forever. Well it has always been that way for me anyway.

A photo taken of me, aged about 4, clutching a camera was an early pointer to my derangement... but I never got treatment for it!Grin

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 12:49 PM

love the performance of it...

TonyCoridan
7 Mar 2013 - 12:52 PM

Is taking photo an easiest form of art and that's why most if not all people do it?

Does it therefore reduce its value as art compare to music, painting and maybe sculpture?

Tony

JohnParminter
7 Mar 2013 - 12:53 PM

Quote: Apart for those who do it for a living; why do you take photos?

For the last 3 or 4 years almost exclusively for a book.

I've taken photos for a specific reason.

Now that I have completed my mission, I'm not all that sure I will use the camera again, I will probably need another reason to continue using it.

JP

ade_mcfade
7 Mar 2013 - 12:57 PM

Quote: Is taking photo an easiest form of art and that's why most if not all people do it?

Does it therefore reduce its value as art compare to music, painting and maybe sculpture?

Tony

recording sound is probably just as easy, but you don't always end up with classic album.... or hit single

paulcookphotography

Quote: Is taking photo an easiest form of art and that's why most if not all people do it?

Tony

Taking a photo is easy, making it interesting/appealing is a different matter. In the same way, drawing stick people is simple but hardly comparable to a well drawn/painted portrait

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139436 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 1:23 PM

Quote: In the same way, drawing stick people is simple

L.S. Lowry's stick people paintings fetch a fair bit! Wink

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53623 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 1:43 PM

1. I take photo's because I enjoy creating something that I like and can be proud of, I practice as I want to keep getting the buzz of finding improvements, also with people as I like helping them find photo they are happy with.
I want one day to be paid a bit for my hobby and that's why the getting better part is important.

2. Easiest form of art, well I disagree - we all mostly have a pencil but we don't all become artists - I think we use camera's to capture or even enhance the worlds beauty for us to see later; Some use pencils and digital art to add new beauty into the world.

I don't think exclusivity alone is a real wholesome measure of value.
Real value is oxygen, water and heat. Fashionable value is having aspirational possessions.

AlexandraSD
7 Mar 2013 - 1:47 PM

I always thought recording sound was harder than recording visual images, be it still or moving ones. I went to college to take a course on sound mixing and music production in the early 90's and was quite overwhelmed when faced with a big mixing desk, leads everywhere, amps, recorders, i remember thinking ill never take all this in. I did eventually but by christ it was tricky to get it all together.

I guess now its easier to record sound, technology helps a lot, you dont need any musical talent to create a half decent track nowadays, even i now have a fair few tracks on my hard drive which i constructed electronically using samples etc, but you do need to know how music is structered, pretty much the same way as a photographer ought to know how to compose an image.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 1:53 PM

No idea why ! !

I suppose it is something to do at the week-end.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72271 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2013 - 2:54 PM

Quote: I always thought recording sound was harder than recording visual images, be it still or moving ones. I went to college to take a course on sound mixing and music production in the early 90's and was quite overwhelmed when faced with a big mixing desk, leads everywhere, amps, recorders, i remember thinking ill never take all this in. I did eventually but by christ it was tricky to get it all together.

Similar memories - the engineer teaching me simply covered all but a fraction of the desk with a large piece of card, and stated, pointing at the uncovered area, "but all you need to think about is this bit..... for now", which put things into perspective.

A camera is more like a complex microphone, whilst photoshop is more like a mixing desk Smile

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Run its course and getting nowhere