Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Why do you take photos?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Run its course and getting nowhere

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
7 Mar 2013 3:38PM
the singer like the photographer

the auto-tune technician like the retoucher

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 3:46PM
Dialled!
Same page!
etc Smile
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 5:50PM

Quote:recording sound is probably just as easy
I find it much easier to get a decent photo

Quote: Is taking photo an easiest form of art and that's why most if not all people do it?

Does it therefore reduce its value as art compare to music, painting and maybe sculpture?

Taking a photo is easy, just like recording a sound or drawing or painting, but doing it so that anyone will be interested is just as hard or easy whichever it is.
I don't think I want to go into the discussion of is it art and what is art anyway, not again, but the way I put it is, I draw and paint, I draw sketch maps and circuit diagrams, paint doors, walls, skirting boards and window frames. No-one calls this art. Sometimes people describe my photos as art. No-one ever asked for one of my drawings or window frames, but people do ask for my photo images.

I suppose there are some things in common between for example painting, sculpture and photography. Creative expression, an eye for visual imagery, some sort of feeling for the subject. The difference is probably in practical aptitude, people with poor hand-eye co-ordination probably shouldn't try sculpture, unless they like hurting themselves with hammers and chisels. On the other hand, whilst technical aptitude isn't essential for photography, it certainly helps, and that will draw people to photography rather than another medium. Nowadays an aptitude for computer use probably will do that as well, whereas in the past it might have been chemistry (and an urge to lock yourself in small a dark room Wink.
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 5:51PM

Quote:Is taking photo an easiest form of art
surely stacking up a few house bricks is easier.
NeilS e2
7 903 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 5:57PM
Taking snaps keeps me out the pub

Processing images keeps me out the pub

Even going to Photography society reduces time in pub as we finish at 10.00pm

The empty wallet keeps me out of the pub

But mostly its because of the buzz and more importantly, you never stop learning and can experiment in endless ways thanks to digital and kit nowadays

PS don't shoot video
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
7 Mar 2013 6:07PM
For my own self satisfaction, to record wildlife sightings (especially insects) and therapy for mental illness. Though I don't feel the need to buy the latest all singing and dancing kit, currently owning a pair of 50d's and a plethora of other digital and film cameras collected over the years.
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
7 Mar 2013 6:58PM
Firstly and most importantly because I love it. I have no interest in the specs of cameras I just love pressing the shutter and creating an image. I'm has happy using my iPhone as I am my D700.
mossy 1 46 1 England
7 Mar 2013 7:03PM
Simply to capture wildlife and nature just as i encounter it, capture the moment.
DOGSBODY 6 1.4k 30 England
7 Mar 2013 7:04PM
I've been taking them for well over 50 years and I can't for the life of me remember why.
gary_d e2
6 556 13 Wales
7 Mar 2013 7:10PM
I take photo's that appeal to me and hope others like them too as that's a bonus.

A reason to walk through the countryside and enjoy the sounds as well as the sights and it helps keep me fit and well too, if my images turn out rubbish I have still had a great day out
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
7 Mar 2013 7:26PM
For the same reasons that I read, or listen to music, it occupies my mind, and hopefully keeps me out of mischeif.Wink I love wandering through a park, or public gardens, or just along a trail in the country, and seeing the many works of nature, photographing them, and learning many interesting things about them when I get home. How stagnant we would become if we had no interests outside the home. I have been, and seen places and things that I never would have if not for my hobby of taking pictures. It makes me want to explore, and learn as much as I can about the world around me. A new camera, lens, filter, tripod, even a new camera strap, it's like Christmas year round, it keeps me feeling young.

Denny
bluesandtwos 5 33 1 England
8 Mar 2013 4:14PM
As above, I can't draw or paint very well at all, I would like to but I can't! Sad
Would love to be able to make music, but I cant very well at all, have two guitars and a harmonica but never learnt to play them properly! Sad
I have always been good with mechanical things but I've always wanted to be arty farty, and with photography I can enjoy the practical and mechanical side of picture making as well as (on a good day , with the wind behind me) creating something artistic that gives me pride and pleasure in looking at. And I do get the buzz if someone else says they really like what I've done hence being on this site. Grin
As said by others, it gets you away from the box in the corner that sucks out your brains ( actually I don't have a telly now), and I love to walk, often at odd times of the day when most people are at work, and to not be regarded as weird, or a threat by people you meet you need either a dog or a camera, but you don't need to take the camera to the vet!

Dave
TonyCoridan 1 137 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2013 5:09PM

Quote:As above, I can't draw or paint very well at all, I would like to but I can't! Sad
Would love to be able to make music, but I cant very well at all, have two guitars and a harmonica but never learnt to play them properly! Sad
I have always been good with mechanical things but I've always wanted to be arty farty, and with photography I can enjoy the practical and mechanical side of picture making as well as (on a good day , with the wind behind me) creating something artistic that gives me pride and pleasure in looking at. And I do get the buzz if someone else says they really like what I've done hence being on this site. Grin
As said by others, it gets you away from the box in the corner that sucks out your brains ( actually I don't have a telly now), and I love to walk, often at odd times of the day when most people are at work, and to not be regarded as weird, or a threat by people you meet you need either a dog or a camera, but you don't need to take the camera to the vet!

Dave

I have a guitar tooWink but I can't play; I love the sound of the strings...

But, that's different, I think, photographers don't turn into musician because they can't take good photos.

And I think painting and photography are two distinct types of art and doesn't replace each other (this is in my humble opinion; I'm not an expert).

Are you saying you take photography as a hobby because it's an easier form of art which requires no skills?Grin

Regards,

Tony
bluesandtwos 5 33 1 England
8 Mar 2013 7:11PM

Quote:As above, I can't draw or paint very well at all, I would like to but I can't! Sad

Dave

I have a guitar tooWink but I can't play; I love the sound of the strings...

But, that's different, I think, photographers don't turn into musician because they can't take good photos.

And I think painting and photography are two distinct types of art and doesn't replace each other (this is in my humble opinion; I'm not an expert).

Are you saying you take photography as a hobby because it's an easier form of art which requires no skills?Grin

Regards,

Tony

No Tony, not at all! Maybe I worded that very badly. Sad

I think there is the desire to be artistic in us all, it is certainly within me, but we need to find the medium in which we can fulfill that desire. I can't paint or draw ( if I could maybe that would be easier than photography as you can place the elements wherever you choose, as with light, colour and texture) but with a camera.... then I CAN make my pictures. Photography requires skills, some shared with a conventional artist, and some unique, as in the application of selective apertures for depth of field or shutter speed for blur or otherwise or focal length and viewpoint

Its not easier per se to take a good photo, but it IS easier for me than drawing or painting.

Like you, I love the sound of the guitar. I sit alone and play the few tunes I can play ( very badly) until my fingertips get sore and I promise myself that one day I shall be able to play properly, but until then I just enjoy doing what I can!Grin

Hope that makes more sense, according to my better half I 'don't half ramble on'.

Dave
scrimmy e2
6 369 5 Scotland
8 Mar 2013 7:18PM
my ex wife hated my guitar playing ................. Tongue