Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why do you take photos?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Run its course and getting nowhere
scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 5365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 7:21 PM

PS
she wasn't keen on my photography either....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Mar 2013 - 7:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 5365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 7:22 PM

PPS
don't think she was overly keen on me either ......... Tongue

TonyCoridan
8 Mar 2013 - 8:00 PM

Quote: As above, I can't draw or paint very well at all, I would like to but I can't! Sad
Would love to be able to make music, but I cant very well at all, have two guitars and a harmonica but never learnt to play them properly! Sad
I have always been good with mechanical things but I've always wanted to be arty farty, and with photography I can enjoy the practical and mechanical side of picture making as well as (on a good day , with the wind behind me) creating something artistic that gives me pride and pleasure in looking at. And I do get the buzz if someone else says they really like what I've done hence being on this site. Grin
As said by others, it gets you away from the box in the corner that sucks out your brains ( actually I don't have a telly now), and I love to walk, often at odd times of the day when most people are at work, and to not be regarded as weird, or a threat by people you meet you need either a dog or a camera, but you don't need to take the camera to the vet!

Dave

I have a guitar tooWink but I can't play; I love the sound of the strings...

But, that's different, I think, photographers don't turn into musician because they can't take good photos.

And I think painting and photography are two distinct types of art and doesn't replace each other (this is in my humble opinion; I'm not an expert).

Are you saying you take photography as a hobby because it's an easier form of art which requires no skills?Grin

Regards,

Tony
No Tony, not at all! Maybe I worded that very badly. Sad

I think there is the desire to be artistic in us all, it is certainly within me, but we need to find the medium in which we can fulfill that desire. I can't paint or draw ( if I could maybe that would be easier than photography as you can place the elements wherever you choose, as with light, colour and texture) but with a camera.... then I CAN make my pictures. Photography requires skills, some shared with a conventional artist, and some unique, as in the application of selective apertures for depth of field or shutter speed for blur or otherwise or focal length and viewpoint

Its not easier per se to take a good photo, but it IS easier for me than drawing or painting.

Like you, I love the sound of the guitar. I sit alone and play the few tunes I can play ( very badly) until my fingertips get sore and I promise myself that one day I shall be able to play properly, but until then I just enjoy doing what I can!Grin

Hope that makes more sense, according to my better half I 'don't half ramble on'.

Dave

Yes, it makes perfect sense: but I can't play guitar at all and would really like to play; I'll never be able to play, I know that...Wink

Tony

keith selmes
9 Mar 2013 - 9:28 AM

Quote: I think, photographers don't turn into musician because they can't take good photos.

No, but if you're interested to begin with, you might learn an instrument because you have a lousy singing voice, or sing because your fingers and thumbs go all wrong on an instrument, or use electronics for music, all depending where your best aptitudes are. Same as with drawing or painting or photography or digital art in visual work.

bluesandtwos
9 Mar 2013 - 10:02 AM

Quote: PPS
don't think she was overly keen on me either ......... Tongue

Re your last three comments Scrimmy, I used to have one like that! But she upgraded to a 'newer model' and it turned out in the long run to do me a favour as now I have a newer model still, and one with bells and whistles.WinkGrin

Dave

FrogTastic
11 Mar 2013 - 9:32 AM

Quote: I take photos because i cant draw for toffee!

Probably not entirely true, i can draw, but it takes ages.

I don't know really, you have your subject, hold the camera up to your eye and then there is that little rush that suddenly comes from nowhere, that oh i think that might be a good image moment. I guess i see something in my head and then seak to reproduce it in the form of a photograph.

Photography is a distraction, escapism from a world of reality tv and trivial pursuits in general, and its a great way for your mind to focus on something other than a black mirrored box linked to the Sky.

Photography is an entirely selfish past time, its just me and the camera, no one else, and that suits me down to the ground Smile

Im with you completely.

If I could even draw half decently, Id do it all day.

TonyCoridan
11 Mar 2013 - 10:30 AM

Quote:

Im with you completely.

If I could even draw half decently, Id do it all day.

I'm sure you can have some tuition in drawing/painting if that what you really like/want instead of compromising with photography!Grin

It shouldn't be harder that photography once you've learned the skill, I think.

Tony

Canonshots
11 Mar 2013 - 4:09 PM

I believe we live in a beautiful world. Its beauty, unfortunately, is all too often latent or ephemeral. That is where the photographer comes in, with the technological means to make that latent beauty apparent and to capture the fleeting moment.

I am not claiming that I do any of that particularly well, but the attempt alone gives me enormous pleasure.

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10781 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2801 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 4:52 PM

Why do you take photos Tony?

Your original question has a sting in its tail " I know of people who don't make any money out of photography but still spend a lot of money in getting the latest 'better camera+lenses' just to take 'better quality photos'."

You seem quite cynical, placing "better quality photos" in quotes. What is it that youre really asking. But first tell us why YOU take photos.

W

Boogie
Boogie  158 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2013 - 5:48 PM

I love to paint, draw and take photos.

Capturing and sharing images - obsessive for me Smile

TonyCoridan
16 Mar 2013 - 6:47 PM

Quote: Why do you take photos Tony?

Your original question has a sting in its tail " I know of people who don't make any money out of photography but still spend a lot of money in getting the latest 'better camera+lenses' just to take 'better quality photos'."

You seem quite cynical, placing "better quality photos" in quotes. What is it that youre really asking. But first tell us why YOU take photos.

W

I'm contemplating on this: I might just sell all my gear and give up altogether. I don't think I'll get the idea of photography. I have been wrongly thinking that I had a talent and I was a photographer.

Since I joined you have opened my eyes that I'm wasting my time and money.

Thank you,

Tony

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10781 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2801 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2013 - 7:04 PM

But why do you take photos Tony? And rather than use sarcasm, be honest. Its a straight question.

W

TonyCoridan
16 Mar 2013 - 7:13 PM

Quote: But why do you take photos Tony? And rather than use sarcasm, be honest. Its a straight question.

W

I'm not being sarcastic W, I'm serious, I've got no talent or skills to be sarcastic anyway.

I have been taking photos because I like to capture moments, scenes, sceneries, people facial expression (candid). I have thousands of photos. The photos I've been uploading are the most recently taken with my latest gears.

I know it's the tools that makes the craftsman etc

That's why I'm thinking to just give up when I see there are so many superior talents here and elsewhere.

I might put my gear for sale here let me know if you're interested.

With the upmost respect,

Tony

paulcookphotography

Some people have been shooting and fine-tuning their skills and talents for years to get to where they are. Some start off shooting one type of photography and then move to another type and suddenly their talent takes off.

If you enjoy something, dont quit. If you push it too much, you start to lose that enjoyment and (from my experience) putting pressure on your photography will get you nowhere.

Your photography has to start with you. Try to please yourself with what you are doing, and then once you are comfortable with it, add in a new challenge or learn a new skill to keep it interesting.

pablophotographer

Hi Tony, sorry for not answering your question. I'd like to say to you that I know nobody who took great pictures immediately after grabbing a camera. People develop their skill either through training and/or through practice and they advance when they take feedback and adjust. I am not sure where I had mentioned that before, if you reflect on childhood, healthy babies who can listen and talk develop the language skill after listening their family's voices and chatting for quite some time. Babies don't speak when they come out of the womb. It takes time. Give yourself time. Go to a public library and get a book on photography or history of art. Educate your eye to see a picture, to become critical. Then you may be critical with your own pictures as you see them in the viewfinder and then you could adjust minute details you may been missing out, before firing the shutter.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Run its course and getting nowhere