Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Why does it appear that members from coutries other than the uK do not receive the same attention.

DPhillips 4 20 South Africa
3 Dec 2010 5:03PM
I have submitted my photos but seldom if at all nobody from the UK comments or votes.

This leads me to believe that members outside the UK are considered unworthy of comment. Without wanting to sound supercilious some of my shots are much better than those getting 30+.

Maybe I should let my membership expire in January.

Dorian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry 12 9.2k 92
3 Dec 2010 5:10PM
It's been expressed in many different ways in the past, but I would guess the key factor is that you have only commented on eight pictures yourself. Therefore many members are not even aware of your existence. That has nothing to do with being in the UK

Many members look at who has commented on their shots and then browse their portfolio and leave comments. If you are not commenting on many shots yourself then you are not likely to receive many views, let alone comments from other members.

I could point to plenty of non-UK based members who regularly receive lots of comments, but in return if you look at their usage stats they make lots of comments.

HTH
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2010 5:15PM
There is of course the distinct possibility that you think your photos are
Quote:much better than those getting 30+
but nobody else does. Sorry.
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2010 5:31PM

Quote:If you are not commenting on many shots yourself then you are not likely to receive many views, let alone comments from other members.

EPZ has a social bias which can be a double edge sword, in that often comments and clicks are given in response to others commenting on your photo. The downside is that you can get a high number of clicks, that bear poor relation to the level of your photographic skill. But on the other side you can receive invaluable critique and feedback which helps you improve your photography.

Commenting on others uploads, and putting your image up for critique should get you more noticed.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
3 Dec 2010 5:32PM
Just to give you a couple of examples:

She is not from the UK

He is not from the UK either
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Dec 2010 5:34PM
You have only been here a couple of months and have made only 8 comments. This is a community and you pretty much get out what you put in.

Quote:Maybe I should let my membership expire in January

Your loss.
3 Dec 2010 5:38PM
There are two ways to get more attention for your pictures .....

a) Become more active on the social side of EPZ. Comment a lot more than you do now and slowly but surely the amount of attention and clicks that your images receive will increase. Click for click networks of friends do exist on EPZ and it's pretty easy to get involved if that's the way that you want to go.

b) Improve the quality of your photography and/or develop a unique style. Basically post something diferent or better than other photographs in a particular genre. Good photography definitely gets noticed.

To be honest, I've had a look at your PF and whilst there's nothing awful there it's pretty fair to say that nothing stands out either. My eye would pass your pictures by as I scanned through the gallery.

Hope you don't mind the honesty ..........
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
3 Dec 2010 5:52PM

Quote:Just to give you a couple of examples:

LOL @ Coles samples......Smile

Methinks they are in a completely different league......Grin

You can't join this site post a few average images, Make little or no attempt to add descriptions to them, Make little attempt to comment on other members images, With only a couple of months membership to your credit, It does not work like that.....!!!

As Big Bri has said, Maybe no one agrees with you....!

Bottom line, In order to get anything out of a site, You do need to put something in, Its not all about posting a few images then sitting back and expecting an avalanche of votes.

Quote:Why does it appear that members from coutries other than the uK

It has nothing to do with what country you are from, Or live in, Your assumption is completely misguided......Wink
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
3 Dec 2010 6:29PM
As a non-e2 member I don't get to see where a member is from when I am viewing an image and so your concern is unfounded so far as all non-e2 members is concerned. I vote and comment purely on the basis of the merits of the image and nothing else.
jeanie e2
10 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2010 6:33PM
As an E2 member, I never even think about checking where somebody is from.... I just see a picture I like and comment and or click accordingly.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2010 6:33PM
To be fair, there are sometimes images posted at quiet times that get overlooked due to them being on page 18 by the time the majority of members come online, but as has been said, if you want to get noticed, you need to get involved.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
3 Dec 2010 6:36PM

Quote:I vote and comment purely on the basis of the merits of the image and nothing else.

And there you have it.

Does your work merit a viewer taking his/her time to look closer than the thumbnail (which can be VERY misleading) or indeed, having looked, take further time to comment?

You only 'get out' what you put in. Smile

EDIT:

Big Bri adds additional very valid input:-

Quote:if you want to get noticed, you need to get involved.
Daffy1 7 337 Ireland
3 Dec 2010 6:55PM
I'm not from the UK and I don't get too many votes but I don't mind . I have learned loads and loads on this site and they seem very a friendly bunch. I'm sure I'll meet some of them when they come over here to Ireland in a few years time to see the World Cup. (Ouch!!). Damian
devlin 4 651 39 India
3 Dec 2010 9:30PM
Forget the votes...they may not always be an indication of the quality of your work..if on the other hand you do want votes then you need to get more involved or take your work beyond the normal everyday fare Smile, just looked over your PF i would say you are about par for the course (votes wise) given the level of your involvement Smile

Cheers

PS: - Iam not from the UK either but i think iam doing fairly ok given that the majority of my work gets uploaded to the critique gallery...the same is true for the majority of my own comments on others works...
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
3 Dec 2010 9:57PM
If (for some reason) you want votes, join a click clique.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.