Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why I have to leave Olympus

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

terrymccollough

Here is the thing. I prefer the dslr format. It appears that the dslr is dead as far as Olympus is concerned. I currently have an E620 with a number of lenses. Currently they work fine and I have some photos that I like very much. However, I think that I need to get out now while I can. The problem as I see it is a software problem. People often think that they are fine sticking to the current dslr that they own and will not upgrade for many years. However, in the case of Olympus dslr owners, I do not think this is a tenable position. What happens when some years down the road, their computer dies, Apple/Microsoft in the meantime has moved on to some new version of their operating systems for which the Olympus Software is no longer supported and the new Olympus Software no longer supports the legacy dslrs. Will Photoshop continue to provide support for these cameras throughout the years? Maybe I am wrong and they will, but I certainly would not pay the Photoshop price to continue to develop my photos.

In the film age, one could reasonably keep the same camera for a few decades and many people do and are proud of the fact. And, in the case of some dslr manufacturers, they may be able to as well. But with Olympus, does anyone see them really continuing to support after a few years software for cameras they no longer make, or do they think third party software providers will continue to support cameras that never had much of a market share in the first place? People often think , what if my camera dies, or my lens breaks thirty years down the road? I will pick up one on ebay or some such place and be cool and retro. But what happens when their computer dies, will they go scattering around on ebay for a thirty year old computer which still supports their camera software?

The next thing is where to go? I am not really asking the question, but Pentax, which I have thought about, is perhaps not the safest bet. They have recently been bought, and perhaps the new owners will put their full support behind them and thrive in the dslr market, but you will forgive me if I do not go from one failed company product line to another company which recently changed owners. I might not be rational on this point, but certainly it is understandable why an Olympus owner might be overly cautious when investing in another company that might not be stable. Although the K5 is looking pretty good.

Sony still seems a little gadegty to me - I could be wrong here as well but there it is. In terms of dslrs this leaves Canon and Nikon. Neither of which really excite me from a lens perspective. Sure, maybe the really high-end ones, but I am never going to buy those. Indeed it was by looking at base and mid level lenses that made the decision for me to go to Olympus at the time, but that is another story.

So, I think that either I give up on photography as a hobby and use the camera on my cell phone for quick shots, or I go film where I can be somewhat more certain of the longevity of my gear. In any event, I think I should sell to the local camera shop my Olympus gear and get back what money I can.

Thank you for reading my somewhat of a rant.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 May 2012 - 8:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
22 May 2012 - 9:11 PM

Maybe Olympus have just re- entered the game I always loved my Om's and although heavily into Nikon these days would like to try the new OM's. For me the game was lost at the OM101, Olympus may now see this and make an effort to produce a camera for todays market with Quality but no frills. I still seek to own an OM4 or Ti. the handling was superb and I will try the new OM-D at some point for comparison to my Nikons.

Graham

losbarbados
22 May 2012 - 9:22 PM

I have to agree with everything you said there. I'm in the market for an upgrade, and was really looking forward to picking up an E5. So a trip to the local half decent camera shop later I found out there was no point in even looking at it because the camera is already dead in the water. And this with the local Olympus rep sat next to him doing all but agree with the sales man.

So I'm now off to Jacobs with an order for a 7D along with a bag full of lenses and the 620 is either going on eBay or to LCE for someone else to enjoy

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 9:32 PM

I take it excellent cameras like the Olympus OM-D, which is even used by a few pros now, have no interest for you?

I was a (very) long time Canon-user, film SLRs and DSLRs, but I suspect my switch to Olympus will be..................... just as long! Smile

tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3136 forum posts United Kingdom
22 May 2012 - 9:36 PM

sorry to labour the point, but support for older cameras is there in programs such as aperture and others, it would appear a low risk

e.g. apple support for raw editing

Canon
EOS 1D
EOS 1D Mark II
EOS 1D Mark IIN
EOS 1D Mark III
EOS 1Ds
EOS 1Ds Mark II
EOS 1Ds Mark III*
EOS 1D Mark IV*
EOS 5D
EOS 5D Mark II*
EOS 5D Mark III**
EOS 7D
EOS 10D
EOS 20D
EOS 30D
EOS 40D
EOS 50D*
EOS 60D**
EOS 500D*
EOS D30
EOS D60
EOS Digital Rebel XS/Kiss Digital F2/1000D*
EOS Digital Rebel/Kiss Digital/300D
EOS Digital Rebel XT/Kiss Digital N/350D
EOS Digital Rebel XTi/Kiss Digital X/400D
EOS Digital Rebel XSi/Kiss Digital X2/450D
EOS Kiss Digital X3*
EOS Rebel T1i*
EOS Rebel T2i EF-S / 550D / Kiss X4**
EOS Rebel T3 / 1100D / Kiss X50**
EOS Rebel T3i / 600D / Kiss X5**
PowerShot G5
PowerShot G6
PowerShot G9*
PowerShot G10*
PowerShot G11*
PowerShot G12**
PowerShot G1 X**
PowerShot Pro 1
PowerShot S60
PowerShot S70
PowerShot S90**
PowerShot S95**
PowerShot S100**
PowerShot SX1 IS**
sRAW**
mRAW**
Epson
R-D1
R-D1x*
Fujifilm
FinePix S2 Pro
FinePix S3 Pro
FinePix S5 Pro
FinePix X100**
Hasselblad
CF-22*
CF-39*
CFV-16*
H3D-31*
H3D-31II*
H3DII-50**
H4D-40**
Kodak
DCS Pro SLR/n*
Konica Minolta
DiMAGE A1
DiMAGE A2
DiMAGE A200**
Maxxum 5D
Maxxum 7D
Leaf
AFi 5
AFi 6
AFi 7
AFi-II 6*
AFi-II 7*
Aptus 17
Aptus 22
Aptus 54S*
Aptus 65
Aptus 65S*
Aptus 75
Aptus 75S*
Aptus-II 6*
Aptus-II 7*
Valeo 22
Valeo 17
Valeo 11
Leica
Digilux 2
Digilux 3
M8
M8.2*
M9**
S2**
X1**
D-LUX 2
D-LUX 3
D-LUX 4**
D-Lux 5**
V-LUX 1
V-Lux 2**
Nikon
D1
D1X
D1H
D2H
D2Hs
D2X
D2Xs
D3*
D3s*
D3X*
D4**
D40
D40x
D50
D60*
D70
D70s
D80
D90*
D100
D200
D300*
D300s
D700*
D800**
D3000
D3100**
D5000*
D5100**
D7000**
Coolpix 8800
Coolpix 8700
Coolpix 8400
Coolpix P6000
COOLPIX P7000**
COOLPIX P7100**
Nikon 1 J1**
Nikon 1 V1**
Olympus
E-1
E-3*
E-5**
E-30*
E-450**
E-600**
E-620**
E-P1**
E-P2**
E-P3**
E-PL1**
E-PL2**
EVOLT E-300
EVOLT E-330
EVOLT E-400
EVOLT E-410
EVOLT E-420*
EVOLT E-500
EVOLT E-510
EVOLT E-520*
C-8080 Wide Zoom
C-7070
C-7000
PEN E-PL1s**
PEN E-PL3**
PEN E-PL1s**
PEN E-PL3**
PEN E-PM1**
SP-570 UZ*
XZ-1**
Panasonic
DMC-LC1
Lumix DMC-FZ50
Lumix DMC-FZ100**
LUMIX DMC-FZ150**
Lumix DMC-G1**
Lumix DMC-G2**
Lumix DMC-G3**
Lumix DMC-G10**
Lumix DMC-GF1**
Lumix DMC-GF2**
Lumix DMC-GF3**
Lumix DMC-GH1**
Lumix DMC-GH2**
LUMIX DMC-GX1**
LUMIX DMC-FZ35**
LUMIX DMC-FZ38**
Lumix DMC-L1
Lumix DMC-LX1
Lumix DMC-LX2
Lumix DMC-LX3**
Lumix DMC-LX5**
Pentax
*ist D
*ist DL
*ist DL2*
*ist DS
*ist DS2*
K-r**
K-x**
K-5**
K-7**
K10D
K20D
K100D
K100D Super*
K110D
K200D
K2000/K-m*
Samsung
GX-1L
GX-1S**
GX-10*
GX-20*
NX10**
NX11**
NX100**
NX200**
Sony
DSC-F828
DSC-R1*
DSC-V3
DSLR-A100
DSLR-A200*
DSLR-A290**
DSLR-A300*
DSLR-A350*
DSLR-A560**
DSLR-A580**
DSLR-A700*
DSLR-A900*
SLT-A33**
SLT-A35**
SLT-A55**
Alpha DSLR-A230**
Alpha DSLR-A330**
Alpha DSLR-A380**
Alpha DSLR-A390**
Alpha DSLR-A450**
Alpha DSLR-A500**
Alpha DSLR-A550**
Alpha DSLR-A850**
Alpha NEX-3**
Alpha NEX-5**
Alpha NEX-C3**
Alpha NEX-5N**
Alpha SLT-A65**
Alpha SLT-A77**
Alpha NEX-7**
NEX-VG20**

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

I have a canon 5d mark ii and canon 7d and love these cameras and use them frequently, i also have a Olympus ep-3 which is also a dslr all be it mirrorless and i really like this too to be honest, the only thing i don't like about Olympus is there very limiting range of lenses that tend to be mostly f3.5-5.6 they have very little versatile lenses in the f2 area, also i don't like the fact there lenses on a oly is 2x the focal length, i just feel that you must be loosing some image quality by cropping by 2x effectively.
I must admit i love my canons, the 5d mark ii for it's full frame, see 17mm lens is 17mm and i like that, it's simple to work out what you predicted image will be in your mind.
I also love my 7d for it's speed and the 1.6 sensor to get that little bit closer to the wildlife.
The oly pen ep3 is to me a camera i will take with me if i want to get some snap shots, example i will not be creating an image rather just taking an image with this camera.

I must say though i don't see your point at all about cameras going out of date as far as i am concerned i have these cameras and they will last me a good few years, after all the camera is merely a box to take an image, investment should always be in the lenses, too many people get hung up on the camera body when it is the lens that is the most important part of the photography equipment.
good glass = good images.
good glass won't date however camera bodies tend to, saying that when my 5d mark ii is 10 years old it will still work amazingly for me, in 100 years of photography they still have not made an image that replicates what the eye see's so until that day i will hang on to what i have and will learn more about what i have.

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 23 May 2012 - 12:07 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

I`m not sure what you really want, you seemed disillusioned with digital as a whole.

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

Quote: So, I think that either I give up on photography as a hobby and use the camera on my cell phone for quick shots, or I go film where I can be somewhat more certain of the longevity of my gear. In any event, I think I should sell to the local camera shop my Olympus gear and get back what money I can.

Few, if any digital cameras will stay in production for three years, if even that long, before being replaced. Eighteen to twenty four months is about the norm. Digital cameras don't "go off", they just get replaced with cameras which the respective marketing departments of the various manufacturers have to tempt you to buy as an upgrade. Its how the world goes around.

Your real concern about support for digital files in the future is actually worthy of far more serious consideration than you might think. The concerns apply to all brands though, and to all digital files. (Pictures, books, movies, music, documents, etc.) However, some longevity can be assured by keeping a close eye on changing and emerging technologies. Archivists have to deal with this on a daily basis. Can we still use that backup tape from ten years ago? Have we got a DAT drive to read the tape? Has the drive got a compatible connection to a computer? Is the drive and interface supported by the operating system? Is the format of the backup supported by the software? Are you beginning to see some of the potential issues? But pragmatic management of archives reduces such problems.

I don't personally see support for older RAW formats as much of an issue. If, for example, you use Apple hardware, you will be relieved to know that the RAW support is built into the operating system, so once there is available to all applications.

Film has it's own issues to content with too. If you've any Agfa Scala or Kodachrome left, then don't expect to have it processed any time soon! It can't be. Likewise, various emulsions and chemistries are being discontinued annually, simply through lack of demand. My own belief is that film will survive though largely as a niche black and white product, for artists and hard core enthusiasts. It's biggest threat will come from environmental legislation dealing with the production, use and disposal of chemicals.

You could just relax about it, enjoy (and capture) the moment or, if still feeling insecure, check out your local crown green bowls club. That looks very traditional and untouched by the ravages of time and relentless march of progress.

Quote: the only thing i don't like about Olympus is there very limiting range of lenses that tend to be mostly f3.5-5.6 they have very little versatile lenses in the f2 area, also i don't like the fact there lenses on a oly is 2x the focal length, i just feel that you must be loosing some image quality by cropping by 2x effectively.

Ian, I need to jump in here and tidy up a few comments. The lens range is expanding rapidly, and now that the consumer market has been saturated, it's the far more desirable stuff that's now getting all the attention. Consider the 12 and 45 mm lenses recently launched by Olympus, both of which have been critically acclaimed. There is a very promising 75mm due any day now too. Panasonic meanwhile have just announced some lovely glass, and they have quite a few nice prime lenses already out there.

However, the 2x remark is just simply wrong. The four thirds system was the first system designed from the group up as a digital system. The size of the sensor and mount were all optimised to work as a pure digital system. The 2x crop of which you speak doesn't exist. The lenses are only for that digital system. The 2x crop is used as a term of reference to help people understand the equivalence of the angle of view. So a 25mm lens on four thirds equates to the angle of view of a 50mm on a 35mm camera. If we all spoke in terms of angle of view (in degrees) we would better understand the nature of lenses on all formats.

Last Modified By cathal at 23 May 2012 - 12:58 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2012 - 1:27 AM

And lets not forget the lenses now being produced by Tamron, Cosina, Sigma and several others.

There`s no shortage of fast primes(shortish) there`s even several mirror lenses on the way and pro grade weather sealed lenses have already started appearing.

Longer fast primes and Zooms are just a little slow to catch up.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 May 2012 - 1:28 AM
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3596 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
23 May 2012 - 7:30 AM

I had the E-600 - which was the budget version of the E-620, and I regret selling it, it's an excellent camera, and I can't see Olympus dropping support for their camera's RAW files. Whether Olympus make DSLRs or not in the future, they will still be making cameras that take RAW images (such as the EP3,OMD, etc) which means they'll still be making the software to convert RAW images.

If software support is an issue, then you can always shoot RAW+JPEG, as JPEG is not going away anytime soon.

Does your current camera work? Do you get good images? Do you enjoy using the camera? If yes, then why worry what the future holds Smile

I would recommend holding onto it for a little while longer, with Photokina around the corner you never know whats coming next...

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2012 - 8:43 AM

I would say you are worrying about something that may or may not happen, not sure your age but worrying about something that may happen is a waste of time, get on and enjoy the photography with what you got, it's a camera, a basic box that collects images that's all, some have more gadgets than others but still it's an image capturer and that's it, SIMPLES Tongue.

As stated many times on this site, it is the person behind the camera that takes the picture not the camera, and that I have learnt to be so true, learn how to use what you have and enjoy it.

Quite frankly I have seen many a great image taken with the most basic of cameras and I am presuming that the person who took them took the time to learn his camera functions first before going out expecting great images.

All above are good responses to your dilema and hope they all help you make your mind up.

kodachrome
23 May 2012 - 9:29 AM

Terry

I have been and still am wondereing whether to jump ship. I have a E-620 + E-510 with a couple of extra lenses and both take super pictures but when I compare them to a friends Nikon D5000, there's no contest, the Nikon is noise free at higher ISO, has a vastly better dynamic range and a huge lens base to choose from. The Optical view finder is much better than the 4thirds finder and easier to read. I'm not totally sold on M4T yet and I think the new Olympus OM-D has a very optomistic price and thats just for the body.

To cut to the chase, I'm very interested in the new Pentax K30, its got nearly all the good bits from the K5 including a near 100% OVF, great legacy lens options, its as small as the 620 but built like a brick watsit and with kit lens looks like to be around 800. I also like the in body IS. It will have the same superb Sony 16mp sensor as the K5, so there is a lot going for it.

pentaxpete
23 May 2012 - 9:34 AM

USE FILM again !! My boy was GIVEN an Olympus OM2n with 50mm f1.8 and 70-150mm Zuiko lenses and gets very good results -- no 'SOFTWARE' problems at all -- I develop his B&W and most of his C41 or take it to a High Street Pharmacy which has an account with SIGFOTO laboratory who do an excellent job of processing and printing C41.

Jabberwock
10 Jun 2012 - 10:08 AM

Go for the Pentax K 30 - I can't wait for it to become available..

whatsthisbuttondo
whatsthisbuttondo e2 Member 3whatsthisbuttondo vcard England
29 Jun 2012 - 4:25 PM

pentax k5 cashback offer on now lovely camera

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.