Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why is it?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2013 - 8:46 PM

Have now asked for my new thread to be deleted. Hope this has cheered you up Polis.
Miserable old b*gger.
Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Oct 2013 - 8:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

polis_928tadw59

Mrs SlowSong, No don't do that. I was only joking. It was nice to hear from you again. And I, me, mois ? - a miserable old b*gger - quite correct. It was my target in life when I was only 10 yrs old.SmileWink

polis_928tadw59
27 Oct 2013 - 11:55 AM

Why is it that people don't use sun dials now ? It would be a lot easier than having to alter the clocks twice a year. Mind I have never seen the 'innards' of a sun dial. Are they clockwork ? I know they are not electrical since you never see any wires running from them.Grin

keith selmes
27 Oct 2013 - 7:43 PM

Sun dials are solar powered. I expect you can get a grant for installing one Wink

franken
franken e2 Member 113050 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2013 - 9:40 PM

Quote: Why is it that people don't use sun dials now ? It would be a lot easier than having to alter the clocks twice a year. Mind I have never seen the 'innards' of a sun dial. Are they clockwork ? I know they are not electrical since you never see any wires running from them.Grin

They're really heavy when you strap one onto your wrist. Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2013 - 10:47 PM

And the alarm system to wake you up in the morning is so complicated.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2013 - 2:07 PM

Quote: They're really heavy when you strap one onto your wrist.

You should upgrade to one of the new carbon-fibre sundials. You'll hardly know you're wearing it.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110170 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2013 - 4:15 PM

I worked on a site where among other things, they developed new lubricant.

One of the best R&D proposals was for sponsorship to develop a new "Sundial Oil" - a Premium Product (it very nearly got through the selection process Tongue )

It sounds ideal for use with the new portable models you guys are talking about Grin

polis_928tadw59

Why is it when I post a completely serious question about sun dials, everyone treats the subject as a joke. It is getting dark now, so I am going out to check the time, then take the huff with you all.Tongue Mind I once had a friend and his alarm clock was broken, so he went outside with a torch to check the time on his sun dial, as he was on an early start. The angle at which he was shining the torch showed that it was 10.30am, but he could not understand why it was still pitch black.Grin

keith selmes
28 Oct 2013 - 5:32 PM

My reponse was perfectly serious.
Grants for sundials here http://www.sundialsoc.org.uk/grants.php

keith selmes
28 Oct 2013 - 5:37 PM

The chap with the broken alarm clock should have used a moon dial. No point trying to use a sundial at night.

polis_928tadw59

Keith, just had a look at your link. Grants ? thought yes, yippee, get a few hundred pounds having a sun dial installed. Apparently I do not qualify in the slightest - I live in a tent.Wink

polis_928tadw59

Why is it this thread has expired ? I ignored government guidelines and fitted the sun dial to the roof of my tent. The tent roof gave way and the dial just missed me.

But more importantly, why is it when you open a can of hot dogs you always have to heat them ?

And this might get the brainy ones in here posting a reply and solution, Why is it when you carefully put away electrical wires, such as on the mouse, vacuum cleaner, mobile phone charger, etc., and even the garden watering hose, of the rubber kind/type, the next time you go back to use them, there is always a knot to unravel ????

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
19 Nov 2013 - 9:32 PM

Because, as most fools know..me included...nature abhors regularity.. So carefully coiled cables and leads become gradually tangled when left dormant.
My solution is to just stuff them in a box-drawer-camera bag pocket etc. And they'll come out again in exactly the same state, with no surprises or stress on my part.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
19 Nov 2013 - 10:25 PM

...but in the interests of continuing the "why is it" theme...
Why is it..that the prat who watches your approach, then pulls out of a side turning just as you arrive..causing you to brake...then turns off again within, usually, under 500 metres later..?
And why is it that on a deserted road, a distant approaching cyclist will arrive alongside a parked car on your side at exactly the same time..even though you may speed up or slow down to avoid such a "meeting"...?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.