Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Why is it very few post out of camera shots without any tweaking?

llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 1:05PM
Why do people get concerned with what other folks do with their images?

Photoshop is a tool in the same way a camera is a tool, the goal is a final image, how you arrive at an image you are happy with is of no consequence to anyone other than the person producing the image!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
11 Feb 2013 2:00PM

Quote:Why do people get concerned with what other folks do with their images?

I don't think people are really that concerned at all

But in order to have a discussion, you may have to express a point of view?
llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 2:09PM

I think there is a fundamental problem with questions like this and that is they always appear to me to be from a stand point of superiority, and that is everyone else is doing it wrong. We all like taking pictures and if folk are anything like me we all like talking abut taking pictures too Wink

However to imply that there is a right or a wrong way to take them is to me just bizarre, if I see a picture I like and do not understand how it was taken or processed then I will ask a question, but asking something as vague as why do people process pictures seems odd.

Just my thoughts Smile
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 2:26PM

Quote: in order to have a discussion, you may have to express a point of view?
that's about it, and the OP did have a Wink at the end
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 3:27PM

Because some people see photography as a competitive hobby (not helped by all the photo competitions and voting schemes) and they've learned to use a camera but not to use Photoshop so feel they are being cheated.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 3:58PM
Forgetting about exposure, white balance, tone curves, etc, which in reality is nothing more than perfecting the approximation your camera gave you, why let yourself be restricted by some random aspect ratio determined a long time ago due to the restrictions of using film?

How many oil paintings do you see with a 3:2 aspect ratio? For that matter how many photos taken on 35mm film remained at 3:2 during the printing process?

Those of us who do 'tweak' our photos could turn the argument around and ask why so many people think doing only half a job makes them superior in some way. Smile
Draig37 e2
7 248 Wales
11 Feb 2013 4:24PM
So - after all this discussion - which is the best camera?

Grin
IFIMAGE e2
6 143 Wales
11 Feb 2013 4:25PM

I think there is a fundamental problem with questions like this and that is they always appear to me to be from a stand point of superiority, and that is everyone else is doing it wrong. We all like taking pictures and if folk are anything like me we all like talking abut taking pictures too Wink

However to imply that there is a right or a wrong way to take them is to me just bizarre, if I see a picture I like and do not understand how it was taken or processed then I will ask a question, but asking something as vague as why do people process pictures seems odd.

Just my thoughts Smile

Well this has opened a can of worms, to put one point right " stand point of superiority" Me? Have you seen my work? Wink I was interested in all comments on this subject, being self-taught I like most of us would like to upgrade my "kit" or should I upgrade my software? Smile
Draig37 e2
7 248 Wales
11 Feb 2013 4:37PM
Have you not seen all those adverts - you really need to upgrade everything - including your car, cereal, and yoghurt - honest!!! (me for one not at all influenced by bright shiny adverts)

Grin

Grin
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
11 Feb 2013 4:43PM

Quote:All my Flickr stream photos are JPGs straight out of the camera with no tweaking at all

I get what you mean John (I assume you mean you download from camera, resize and post), but surely by virtue of shooting in JPEG, the camera will have "tweaked" the image already (maybe a bit of sharpening, maybe a bit of contrast, bit of extra saturation perhaps, and almost certainly some compression ) depending on what settings you have for your JPEG's. Even if you have all settings neutralised, they are "tweaked" to some degree as I understand it.
Smile

Quote:I would like to know why everyone, or it feels like everyone has to tweak, adjust an image?

Martin, the camera could have done all sorts to the JPG but the poster was asking why everyone, meaning folk, have to tweak an image. I was merely demonstrating that I don't do any tweaking to my Flickr JPGs, except as you rightly say resize.

Smile
11 Feb 2013 5:05PM
Tweak to enhance whats already there, nothing wrong with that, people have done it for years without editing software, but digital is far cheaper to experiment with in the long run, no more wasting expensive paper and hours spent dodging and burning under the enlarger, and no lingering smells anywhere. So why not take advantage of the technology available to enhance images?

I am probably guilty of over editing, but thats just me, i like what i do and i do photography for my own amusement now, though for what its worth, i would prefer to edit less but no camera in the world will ever produce an image with the perfect elements, if they did then there would be no need for RAW would there?
11 Feb 2013 5:06PM
Maybe there is a little bit of overkill in some tweaking, and reliance on software to correct the problems that the user has with the camera.

And that is the only real reason for using the software to correct errors, which has been mentioned upthread somewhere, other than that everything else is simply old skool processing.

HDR? Yeah used to do that with Lith processing
Special effects - yep, cross processing
adding colour to Black and white - used to do that with a paintbrush and ink

However "get rid of that telegraph pole that is in the middle of the picture" why not just frame your image correctly in the first place?
llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 5:10PM

Quote:Well this has opened a can of worms, to put one point right " stand point of superiority" Me? Have you seen my work? Wink I was interested in all comments on this subject, being self-taught I like most of us would like to upgrade my "kit" or should I upgrade my software? Smile

Certainly no slight intended, I just feel that this question always goes the same way on every forum and I quite often wonder what the motivation of the question is...

I am interested in the end result, I see a bucket load of photos that I would love to emulate and I will ask questions (maybe not here as I find the forum clunky) and a load of photos that I find thoroughly dull that I will ignore, but at the end of the day it is always the final image and the process to get there that interests me.

If you shoot RAW you have to "tweak" whether that is a pre-set that is taken from your camera set up or something that you do in your editor of choice and if you shoot JPEG then your tweaking is governed by Nikon, Canon, Sony.

I would be very interested to know what typical adjustments people do though Smile

I shoot with a Canon and edit in PS, camera set to Faithful and ACR with saturation, curves adjustment and white balance...
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 8:33AM

Quote:However "get rid of that telegraph pole that is in the middle of the picture" why not just frame your image correctly in the first place?

Because sometimes the correctly framed image happens to be right where some inconsiderate sod has planted a telegraph pole. Smile
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 8:48AM

Quote:I would be very interested to know what typical adjustments people do though

Typically:
Curves adjustment
crop
crop again
Noise reduction
Desaturate
resaturate
Push the color temp up
push the saturation down
push the vibrance up
add some grain
add a post crop vignette

Then delete it and go out and take something else!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.