Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why is it very few post out of camera shots without any tweaking?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014846 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 12:34 PM

When you shoot Thethered with Capture One, and probably lighroom too, you can instantly apply a Preset/Style - i.e. the photo will look "black and white" or whatever the preset does.

would you consider this to be "post processing"?

or is it "pre-processing"

is it "meddling?"

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2013 - 12:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ColinEJ
ColinEJ  8 United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 7:46 PM

I recall most of the arguments from Black & White, Colour Negatives, Colour Positives, Transparencies and now Digital. There are always a minority that dictate the most appropriate route to a good photograph and however much merit their may be in their advice, the only thing that really matters is the end result. The client doesn't care how you achieved it, nor does the buying public, the International Salon Judge, the Magazine Editor, or the Photo agency. They look at the picture and want to use/buy it, or they don't. No bonus marks for using, or not using, a given technique.

Ansel Easton Adams, renowned American photographer would photograph primarily Yosemite National Park and use every trick in the book to get the end result he wanted. Do some research and you will find he chose his time of year, time of day, would wait for ages to get the right weather conditions and that was only his initial research for a given shot. He knew exactly what he needed to do with a shot both pre and post capture to get the final result how he wanted it. His pre capture technique was to garden the scene and get it how he wanted it with a band of labourers. With pick, shovel, crow bars and saws they would remove shrubs, replant trees, move boulders and anything else that was needed. The he would get to work and take dozens of shots of that scene and bracket the exposures. Then for his post capture, he would begin his work in the darkroom. Not just a straight print, but burning and dodging, pre-flashing his paper and any trick available to get the very best out of his plate negative. I have been to an Ansel exhibition and on some of the prints, they had a straight print from the negative hung beside one of his worked prints. There was quite a difference and apart from any other of his skills, he was quite a master in the darkroom.

Post editing with whatever software, is just one of the tools available to us as photographers. Whether you choose to use that tool, or not, is entirely up to you and whatever tools you choose to use, doesn't make them right or wrong. Only the final result in the eye of the beholder will decide that.

JohnParminter
25 Feb 2013 - 7:59 PM

Quote: His pre capture technique was to garden the scene and get it how he wanted it with a band of labourers. With pick, shovel, crow bars and saws they would remove shrubs, replant trees, move boulders and anything else that was needed.

We need this approach to most of the recognised UK locations, I can think of a waterfall in Scotland that needs levelling for one.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2013 - 9:54 AM

Quote: I would like to know why everyone, or it feels like everyone has to tweak, adjust an image? Why not get it right in camera and not be obsessed with Photoshop or the Software of choice? Wink

Why do most people feel the need to get dressed on a morning rather than going out naked ( raw ) and untweaked - probably because society has become intolerant and expectant of a certain level of appearance , much the same with photos - to send them out unprocessed is actually lazy in my view ...

Off to put some clothes on now Wink

ColinEJ
ColinEJ  8 United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2013 - 10:04 AM

Quote: Off to put some clothes on now

Classic. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.