Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why Must My Landscapes Include Water?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ourdayphotos
    11 Aug 2012 - 10:49 AM

I've been doing photography for many years & in particular I enjoy taking landscapes but one thing baffles me, why am I and many others drawn to scenes with rivers, lakes, streams, lochs & the sea?
    I'm sure I don't head out looking for these shots but they are usually what I come back with. Does this happen to anyone else?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Aug 2012 - 10:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul_Anthony
    11 Aug 2012 - 10:56 AM

The lead in lines, reflections and movement make water a very attractive to photograph. I am also draw to water scenes when out and about photographing Landscapes.

I'm hoping that I don't have any water (rain) in my photographs today though. Just leaving to photograph a wedding at the beautiful Llechwen Hall.

ourdayphotos
    11 Aug 2012 - 11:02 AM

Quote: The lead in lines, reflections and movement make water a very attractive to photograph. I am also draw to water scenes when out and about photographing Landscapes.

I'm hoping that I don't have any water (rain) in my photographs today though. Just leaving to photograph a wedding at the beautiful Llechwen Hall.

Good luck with the wedding, I've got a couple of weeks before the next one so no doubt I'll be out photographing water at some point!

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82289 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Aug 2012 - 12:11 PM

I think Paul has put his finger on it. But also - lets face it water is a BIG part of our landscape.

puertouk
    puertouk  21058 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Aug 2012 - 3:22 PM

It rains that much in the UK, what do you expect! You've even got rivers running through your streets now! Wink

keith selmes
    11 Aug 2012 - 8:04 PM

I believe this attraction to water is fundamental in humans.
    I never would have questioned that myself, it just seems natural.
    But others have conducted studies in the art and psychology of many cultures and locations and found it so.
    Here is a reference for that, http://www.epjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/EP08695719.pdf
    "a universal preference for semi-open savannah-like landscapes with trees and water, reminiscent of the environment in which a large part of hominid evolution took place"
    and
    "The canvases by Komar and Melamid indicate that the taste of naive art observers may be guided by more than cultural influences. These paintings, based on polls that probed aesthetic preferences in different countries, are remarkably stable across cultures: They invariably feature tranquil landscapes around a lake with relaxing humans in the foreground and some large animals in the distance (readers can visit http://www.diacenter.org/km/ for a flavor of this work)."

Here's another reference I recall sometimes, when walking on some tranquil moorland spot by the pools in a quiet stream
    "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters"
    Probably something that most humans instinctively appreciate.

keith selmes
    11 Aug 2012 - 8:14 PM

Quote: It rains that much in the UK, what do you expect!

Not really relevant

"The simplest Arab garden has at least one fine fountain"
    (From http://www.gardenvisit.com/history_theory/library_online_ebooks/ml_gothein_histo... )

Here's an Arab garden at the Alhambra in Spain http://www.wikihow.com/Image:El-Partal%2C-La-Alhambra-de-Granada..jpg

Hot dry country, preference for green space with water.

mikehit
    mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Aug 2012 - 4:48 PM

I prefer mountains, with or without water. But water does offer interesting artisitic options: abstract reflections but themselves, objects with reflection, turbulance, 'misty' water etc.

TanyaH
    TanyaH e2 Member 11413 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Aug 2012 - 4:54 PM

I've always understood that as the body is made up of a high percentage of water (can't remember exactly how much), and that in mysticism and other 'natural' belief systems such as paganism, native american indian (medicine cards) etc., water is very much indicative of and connected to our emotions. In theory, women's menstrual cycles are affected by the tidal ebb and flow of water which is, in turn, affected by the moon. (Doesn't explain why you guys get affected so much by water, but hey!! Grin)

Last Modified By TanyaH at 13 Aug 2012 - 4:55 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.