Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Why No Negative?

Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
9 Oct 2004 7:03PM
Mike, your comments in the first half of your post are really appreciated. Thank you very much. Smile

Your comments in the second half are like an arrow hitting the bullseye. Absolutely spot on!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserRemoved 10 4.2k
9 Oct 2004 7:08PM
LOL Keith again!

Cant though - they are embargoed Wink

Tell you what though, it was absolutely lovely Wink

The last time I did a shoot for that company they were cooking meals left right and centre and binning them afterwards. I finally cracked and said - keep me a bit of that one so now I get wee bits of them all when done.

I thoroughly recommend the home made mayonnaise and monksfish as well as the breaded salmon on a rice base - yummm Wink

Mike, I'm not talking about the use of the site or getting my shorts bunched up.
Sometimes people draw attention to their photos and ask for comment and then go off on one when they get real comment. Maybe you missed last weeks debate.

As I have said manys a time, I will help anyone, we all have to start somewhere. Similarly if I ask for help I would like to know that people will respond honestly. Its just when you get it thrown back in your face, thats the problem.
UserHasLeft 11 654
9 Oct 2004 7:13PM
I read the whole of last week's thread, Joe, and I apologise if that last post sounded like a direct response to you. Not intentional, I can assure you, and your reaction to last week's comments were, I thought, exemplary Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
9 Oct 2004 7:13PM
Joe, as I recall pretty well everyone defended you - publicly as well as privately - when you were attacked for giving your honest opinion. I would take great heart from that, actually!

As I indicated at the time... criticism of a pic containing the offspring of the photographer will never go down well! Just one of those things. Wink
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Oct 2004 7:17PM
It's the 'Christ almighty where'd you get that from?', that doesn't go down well.
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
9 Oct 2004 7:17PM
No offence taken folks but it does make you think twice about doing it again, which is a shame really.

Still the boys in green are playing well against France so things arent all bad Wink
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
9 Oct 2004 7:20PM
What keith - you mean like the photo editor says to me all the time Wink

Or comments like...

Was the autofocus still turned on when you took that?

Heavy night the night before?

You should really keep that IS turned on you know!

Sorry to hear of your colour blindness.

Wink
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
9 Oct 2004 7:20PM
If they win, I'll eat your Paella...and I know where it's been too.
;-]
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
9 Oct 2004 7:21PM
I'll hold you to that keith!

I'll have a pint of guinness now to make sure its all well bound up for posting Wink
vfr400 13 886
9 Oct 2004 8:37PM
Surely any day that you don't learn something however small is wasted? and there still playing well!

chris
heidilee 10 901
9 Oct 2004 8:41PM
Joe, I hope that last weeks incident does not put you off airing your opinion. You are entitled to it, as is everybody else. I would rather someone say, that they didn't like my photo and why, than say 'nice pic'. I know that some people on here, are not like that and just want praise but don't let them stop you from critiquing. Your opinion, as a person who is working in the field, is important for those of us who are not.

I would never consider working in photography as I love it as a hobby (and I have enough jobs/businesses going at the moment!!) but for myself and others getting critique from someone who actually produces images that are bought or used in print can be more helpful than someone who does not, if a person is interested in going pro, surely they would listen to the advice of someone who already is?

Would you ask your dentist for advice regarding your eyesight? No, you'd ask an optometrist. So why ask another amateur for advice on going pro?

Heidi
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
9 Oct 2004 8:55PM
Was that little noise I heard after the final whistle, keiths sigh of relief?
bpa 10 1.2k
9 Oct 2004 8:55PM
Ah well Joe, you can take comfort in 1 point from a poor form France! (he he)

Stephen
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
9 Oct 2004 8:57PM
There is plenty of good advice, right HERE on EPZ, for anyone thinking of going pro.

Well worth a read.

Everyone's opinion can be of value (well maybe not trolls, lol!) not just those of professionals. Photography isn't like medicine/dentistry/opthalmology. Anyone can practice it and those who have done so as enthusiastic amateurs over a long period can also help, and have valid views.

People use this site for a variety of reasons and all should be respected. Some (for example) may want strong critique, others may want support for flagging enthusiasm. Both are equally valid reasons for using the site.

A suggestion: if someone wants specific critique it is best not only to say so when posting the pic, but also to indicate what it is you are unsure about, e.g. lighting, composition, exposure or whatever. That gives reviewers a base to work on.
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
9 Oct 2004 8:57PM
Aye and we will get another at home to the Faeroes to put us out Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.