Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Why Photoshop?

dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
13 Jul 2013 10:52PM

Quote:Oh and Dcash29, thank you for both pictures, that was what i was getting at.

No probs

It was only a passing snap of the thistles, I thought....'I wonder what I could do with that back home'
Now if another photographer had been there things would have been different.

Again, the following two taken to see what I could do in photoshop. To please me and nobody else

river.jpg

1-river2.jpg

Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

llareggub e2
4 758 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2013 11:27PM

Quote:some of the stunning images on the site and in magazines is trying to work out how much of the image was the photograph from the photographer and his/her camera and how much was software,

They all came from a photographer and a camera in the same way my snap on a 110 cartridge when I was a kid and a Pulitzer prize winning image taken on a medium format camera came from a photographer (all be it not a skilled one) and a camera.

It is a question that will forever be asked and will never be definitively answered! Take pictures, if you don't like the results as questions of people who are getting the results you want... Your question is too broad and has no answer.
14 Jul 2013 11:14AM
In darkrooms we used to make little tools to enable 'burning and dodging', that is no different from using the digital tools of the same name. We also used to fiddle developing times as well as over and under exposure to suit and give rinses in the middle of developing to narrow the tones of wedding dresses and dark suits, just like we do in raw processing. Merely tools of the trade.
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
14 Jul 2013 12:07PM
In my experience those that criticise the use of PS are often those who don't know how to use it and can't or won't be bothered to learn. They want the playing field levelled down because they think that they take just as good shots as everyine else, but those that can use PS are cheating to end up with a better shot. I say each to his own and what does it really matter, the arguments have been done to death on here many times and that's invariably the conclusion.
redsnappa e2
12 2.0k United Kingdom
14 Jul 2013 6:58PM

Quote:Why Photoshop?
Because I do not want the camera (or film) manufacturer deciding on how my photos should look.
richmowil e2
6 279 1 England
14 Jul 2013 8:38PM
Does all this nonsensical argument and opinion really matter!! The end result is what we are looking for, a stunning image, and it doesn't matter how you get there!! Photoshop or other digital manipulation programs replaced the old darkroom where exactly the same things took place only in a different way!!! But now there is one major benefit _ YOU DONT GET YOUR HANDS WET!!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
15 Jul 2013 4:15PM
Most people who tell you how photoshop is just the modern version of a darkroom, never saw the inside of a color darkroom, never mind did any work in one.

It is a fact that PS has opened up a whole new world to those people who should never have been allowed near it. Wink
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2013 4:45PM
Usually my paintshop pro is just for cleaning an image and adjusting balance etc., and maybe some cropping.

But sometimes it's just for fun Smile

img-0121wra500.jpg

richmowil e2
6 279 1 England
15 Jul 2013 5:51PM

Quote:Most people who tell you how photoshop is just the modern version of a darkroom, never saw the inside of a color darkroom, never mind did any work in one.

It is a fact that PS has opened up a whole new world to those people who should never have been allowed near it. Wink

I think thats absolutely fantastic!! Now open to many and not the few!!WinkWinkWink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
15 Jul 2013 7:46PM
classic cliché topic Wink
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
16 Jul 2013 5:24AM

Quote:It is a fact that PS has opened up a whole new world to those people who should never have been allowed near it.

So true… Wink
16 Jul 2013 8:56AM

Quote:Most people who tell you how photoshop is just the modern version of a darkroom, never saw the inside of a color darkroom, never mind did any work in one.

Total rubbish in my case and I guess the word 'Most' should perhaps read 'some'. I worked in my own colour darkroom and quite agree that PS is the modern version of a darkroom.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2013 9:20AM
I looked into a 'real proper like full-on, Iwilllooklikeapro' dark room once in the late 80's, and thought, f@£k that - I'm waiting til they've developed dslr's, computers and software, so I can be a real pixel monkey.

When I say 'looked into', I literally looked into a room through an open door at a friend's house who was a photographer.
Not to be confused with the 'looked into' term used for researching something, although you might say that looking into the room as I did was a basic type of research, allowing me to dismiss the possibilty of further research.

But I digress, so yeah, Photoshop - why?
Why not?
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
16 Jul 2013 11:20AM

Total rubbish in my case and I guess the word 'Most' should perhaps read 'some'. I worked in my own colour darkroom and quite agree that PS is the modern version of a darkroom.

+1

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jul 2013 12:23PM
It's a lovely day to go out and take some photos

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.