Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Why post?

Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2010 9:27PM
Its simple introspection Cheryl.

The question of "why bother" is down your own expectations , and I suspect this thought process might be the culprit.

1. Will it get an E.C ?
2. Is it the best I could produce ?
3. Is it better than my peers images ?
4. (And most importantly) , Is it any different from everything I have posted before ?

I post and struggle with innovative stuff , some gets seen , some languish in the misunderstood category. But I sure a hell drive myself to new thinking.

Have enormous respect for your photography , remember your occasional forays into slow shutter , time to think out the new year box Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Dec 2010 9:36PM
I post for fun, nothing else Smile
csurry 12 9.2k 92
13 Dec 2010 9:40PM
Possibly close Dave, except after numerous ECs over the years this never bothers me. If Pete likes an image that's fine, but most of my work that I would consider my best rarely gets an award, so that is not an influence.

I think my work is consistent, but maybe I want it to move to another level, but where that level is and what defines it I don't know.

Is my work better than my peers, not for me to say, but I feel that I can still learn from the postings of others and I can still pass on some wisdom.

Is it different. Well some different species of late for me. Some progression on the water drops and some other ideas bubbling. I have no desire to explore portraits or landscapes. A few have asked what happened to the Finland shots, truth is I know they would do well on here as they are different, but it holds no appeal to post them at the moment.

So I think that they are part of the thought process, but not all of it.
KathyW 11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
13 Dec 2010 9:47PM

Quote:Its simple introspection Cheryl.

The question of "why bother" is down your own expectations , and I suspect this thought process might be the culprit.

1. Will it get an E.C ?
2. Is it the best I could produce ?
3. Is it better than my peers images ?
4. (And most importantly) , Is it any different from everything I have posted before ?

I post and struggle with innovative stuff , some gets seen , some languish in the misunderstood category. But I sure a hell drive myself to new thinking.

Have enormous respect for your photography , remember your occasional forays into slow shutter , time to think out the new year box Wink

I suspect that sums it up quite nicely Cheryl...
Maybe you need to get out there and do a few landscapes, find a new challenge? I guess you've pretty well nailed the water drop/squirrel/bird of prey thing and maybe it is time for a change? Wink
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
13 Dec 2010 9:57PM
Cheryl I know you say you have no interest in taking landscapes or portraits... fair enough, but sometimes coming out of the comfort zone can help, (or it does for me anyway), it can help you think in a different way, different lens, change in aperture, shutter speed - like you did with the gull images.

Wildlife is not something I'm good at, tho I've had a go (I could never attain your standard in a 100 years). Have you ever tried using a wide angle lens? Years ago (before digital) I remember an image of a Perigrine falcon (I think), that was stood over its bated prey. But everything front to back was sharp, including the stunning landscape.

I guess it was taken via triggers, which I guess you use with the water drops - Just an idea. It would be much easier now, highish ISO (or Auto ISO), Aperture ca F11, aperture priority etc, etc.

If its any comfort, I think its normal to question your work / direction from time to time - certainly if you have an inquiring mind.
losbarbados 5 236 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2010 10:13PM
I tend only to upload when I have something new I'm trying, and then mainly for critique rather than votes.
I gave up on the votes shortly after I started uploaded and I realised that shoddy BOS will always get ten times more votes than a perfect touring car with all of the motion in the right place. So what's the point in looking for something that just wont happen.

I do find most of the critique helpful though
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2010 10:13PM

Quote:I think my work is consistent, but maybe I want it to move to another level, but where that level is and what defines it I don't know.

Sounds like the cause of some of the symptoms that you have stated in this thread.
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
13 Dec 2010 10:19PM
I wonder if its time for : Transformation

(yes the start is a bit quirky and slow but keep watching all the way through)
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2010 10:40PM

Quote:I wonder if its time for : Transformation

Yah ....

Its time to move to the next level, whatever it is, to accept that the camera is a mere tool to use, and its what you want to do as an "artist" that really counts now.
Eviscera e2
13 Dec 2010 11:01PM

Quote: Its time to move to the next level, whatever it is, to accept that the camera is a mere tool to use, and its what you want to do as an "artist" that really counts now

Halley fkin luulia , nite. Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
13 Dec 2010 11:11PM
Don't you also have to ask yourself "why take pictures?"
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
13 Dec 2010 11:12PM
I have a few awaiting upload but have not bothered think one of the reasons is that the upload size in todays standards is way too small and the shots tend to lose their impact, I know E2 provides a larger upload but it's not something I wish to join. There are other sites I can upload a large size image at no cost other than seeing ads. So that's what I do.
Eviscera e2
13 Dec 2010 11:26PM
Stunning images Mr goat , can see why they must be viewed large .

mmm , "why take pictures"

Separates the snappers from the thoughtful as you learn I guess.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
14 Dec 2010 8:08AM
Nope as I said I am still enjoying taking pictures. Will have to look at the video later as I am in the office today.

It is just posting on here. I shot loads of images at the weekend, OK some did not work, some did. Some are just as good if not better than I have posted previously, but there is no compulsion to share them.

Maybe a new way of posting, which is why I was thinking a group, but then not really sure that fills the void.

Ah well, at least one thing is that I am not alone Wink
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
14 Dec 2010 10:57AM
Have you thought of writing tutorials/case studies (either from the photographic or the naturalist angle/ or even keeping an online diary of your "adventures"?

That might be a new way for your to share whilst also "doing something" with your photos aside from just sharing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.