Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Why So Few Awards?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : No need to continue without OP

PhillipMinnis 4 94 4 Australia
18 Feb 2014 12:06PM
Between the 1st of February 2013 and the 17th of February 2013, a total of 121 photos were awarded. 80 of those, in that 17 day period, were either HCs of ECs issued by Pete. The other 41 awarded images won GE awards

Between the 1st of February 2013 and the 17th of February 2014, a total of 41 photos were awarded. All of these have been HCs and ECs issued by the new Staff. That's 80 photos less that have been awarded, compared to the same period last year.

Are not as many awards being issued because the standard of photos has dropped on the site - hence less photos are award worthy?

Are not as many awards being issued because the new staff don't have the time to view every photo that is uploaded, in order to issue awards?

Are not as many awards being issued because the new staff aren't placing the same emphasis on the site being an award-based site, as was previously the case?

Please don't come back at me with graphs showing that the number of awards being issued hasn't changed. Just go back to this time last year and do the comparing!

To the people who uploaded to this site because it was an award-based site, I suspect this will be disappointing. It is certainly disappointing me!

To the people who don't care for the award system on the site, I guess they won't care.

PS I fear that I'll probably condem myself to never receiving another award on this site because I'm making waves, however, I just can't sit back and say nothing. If I see something that I feel has changed that I'm not happy with, or I don't like, I have to seek answers. All I ask is that you respect my right to ask questions about a site that I'm a paid up member of. I will not tolerate what I perceive to be personal attacks on me because I ask these questions.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2014 12:42PM
18 Feb 2014 12:46PM

Quote:Hi Phillip - you will probably find this has been addressed here.

I've read every post on that thread, and I don't think my questions have been adequately addressed, otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to start this thread. Smile
indemnity 6 331
18 Feb 2014 1:22PM

Quote:Hi Phillip - you will probably find this has been addressed here.

I've read every post on that thread, and I don't think my questions have been adequately addressed, otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time to start this thread. Smile

I got one today (thankyou)...hope it wasn't a mistake.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
18 Feb 2014 2:05PM
Personally, I'm one of the 'don't care' faction but I do find it slightly strange that people lay so much store by receiving awards.
The Readers' choice award has been a waste of time for a long time, due to the way in which the voting system is (ab)used and I've never quite understood the worth of the others.
What do they actually mean, other than that someone apparently likes your shot?
sitan1 6 521 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2014 2:11PM
I never received awards anyway lol so didn't know if there was loads or not, just going to have a cry in the corner Blush
paulette52 1 29 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2014 2:15PM

Quote:I never received awards anyway lol so didn't know if there was loads or not, just going to have a cry in the corner Blush

Amen to that..!
indemnity 6 331
18 Feb 2014 2:28PM

Quote:Personally, I'm one of the 'don't care' faction but I do find it slightly strange that people lay so much store by receiving awards.
The Readers' choice award has been a waste of time for a long time, due to the way in which the voting system is (ab)used and I've never quite understood the worth of the others.
What do they actually mean, other than that someone apparently likes your shot?

You're quite safe for now, I think there's a requirement to post some images to be in with a chance anyway.

I do this photography malarky as a hobby for my own pleasure not for a Blue Peter badge, and if someone sees fit to like it, whether on this site or others, that's OK with me.

Any award or accolade is merely a sign of appreciation, it's a nice gesture, though personally I wouldn't be opposed to a case of wine instead. Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
18 Feb 2014 3:20PM
I have always found it a little sad that people want constant patting on the back in order to pursue what, for most of us, is a hobby or perhaps a 'hobby plus', ie we make a few pennies now and then.

And the awards are not exactly the equivalent of an Oscar or a BAFTA are they?

Is it time to get a grip? Wink
18 Feb 2014 3:35PM
I suggest that as a natural extension to the way that standards have been dropping in recent years and awards have proliferated and become more and more meaningless that we should be allowed to give User Awards to our own work .......... then no-one need ever complain about the lack of a badge again.
RobboB e2
7 78 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2014 5:53PM
I think the awards have helped me stretch my photography and generally improve as it has given me a sense of what "good" looks like. Of course there are other ways of doing that too but for me, having the awards section on this site was certainly one of them
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Feb 2014 6:27PM
So the EPZ Team have awarded half as many awards as Pete did this time last year.

So what? You have new people awarding a different set of images in a separate year, I'd be gobsmacked if the numbers had matched up.

The only award not available currently, is the GE award and the team have already stated that it is this award that they wanted to have a look at and that is exactly what they are doing. They have been criticised in the past for making decisions too hastily......so they are not.

As for people wanted their backs patted,well that is simply human nature, otherwise why would there be such a proliferation of award across every imaginable hobby, pastime, arts, entertainment and business type. As for who makes that award, well most art and movie critics are not primarily involved in the making or creating of that which they criticise.

Have standards been dropping?.....in actual fact, if you look around the site, there will be someone taking and creating work that would match up to anything done by those who have gone onto pastures new. What there is on this site is a greater percentage of people who have recently started and who can show their work without it being dumped into the background.
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2014 8:00PM
Philip, I'd suggest that comparing the number of awards given on a given week in two different years is a meaningless exercise unless you're also going to count the number of uploads in the same week in the same years. Then you have to compare it week on week to account for the natural variance of a changing demographic, and look at the overall percentage.
I think you'll find that was the purpose of the graph that was shown last week.
It's not helpful to pick one statistic alone to prove a point.
18 Feb 2014 8:04PM

Quote:Philip, I'd suggest that comparing the number of awards given on a given week in two different years is a meaningless exercise unless you're also going to count the number of uploads in the same week in the same years. Then you have to compare it week on week to account for the natural variance of a changing demographic, and look at the overall percentage.
I think you'll find that was the purpose of the graph that was shown last week.
It's not helpful to pick one statistic alone to prove a point.

Oh, look, I'm over the constant justifying for the low number of awards being handed out!!!

Either stop the awards, and many of us will leave, or restore it to how it was.....frequent and regular issuing of HCs and ECs and restore the GEs immediately! Get on with it, and restore the site to the level of contentment there was six months ago!
Trev_B e2
7 110 65 England
18 Feb 2014 9:10PM
Phillip, we just need to give the new system a chance to bed in along with the reintroduction of the GE awards when this happen, then measure you contentment level.

To be frank I don't know of any other site that listen to their members and react in such a positive way to our constant wingeingWink

After all of my brown nosing I still have not got an HC from the new panelů. but that does not worry me muchTongueTongueTongue

Keep your chins upů life is to bloody short.

Trev SmileSmileSmile