Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why So Few Awards?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: No need to continue without OP
Jestertheclown
18 Feb 2014 - 9:30 PM

Quote: Either stop the awards, and many of us will leave,

Would they . . ?

Do that many people use the site simply, in the vain hope that they'll receive an award that, beyond their own conception of it, has no value whatsoever . . . ?

That's a pretty poor reason to be uploading images, particularly if you're paying for the privilege.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Feb 2014 - 9:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PhillipMinnis
18 Feb 2014 - 9:41 PM

Quote:
Do that many people use the site simply, in the vain hope that they'll receive an award that, beyond their own conception of it, has no value whatsoever . . . ?

That's a pretty poor reason to be uploading images, particularly if you're paying for the privilege.

A pretty poor reason to be uploading image? That's only your opinion! We're all different. That is one of the reasons that I have uploaded to this site.....because I like to know that each one of my images have the opportunity to receive an award. I know that there are others on this site that are the same as me. I have had others contact me to tell me they think the same way!

Now, you just stated that that is a poor reason for me to be uploading, I find that quite derorgatory. I have as much right to my opinion as you do to yours, however, I'm not going to sit here and pass judgement on you for having that opinion.

Last Modified By PhillipMinnis at 18 Feb 2014 - 9:42 PM
KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72542 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
18 Feb 2014 - 10:03 PM

Quote: many of us will leave

And many of us won't...

You really do seem to have an obsession with "awards" even if they're of the click clique value...

...And before you accuse me of attacking you - your post is in an open forum, so expect robust response..
you don't seem averse to a little belligerence yourself..

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014930 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2014 - 10:13 PM

Whatever turns one's crank. If awards are important to a large number of the site's members, then they will be in abundance soon enough. The site has always tried to please the higher, and most vocal, number of members, and why not, that's the way it should be. I don't feel right commenting anymore because I am no longer a paid up member, but for what it's worth, that's my opinion.

PhillipMinnis
18 Feb 2014 - 10:24 PM

Quote: You really do seem to have an obsession with "awards" even if they're of the click clique value...

After viewing your portfolio, I understand why wrote this comment.

I've never hidden my preference for wanting to be part of a site that is awards based.

Winning awards is what drives thousands and thousands of people, businesses and organisations. Go into the headquarters of any small business, large business or corporation. What do they proudly have on display in their entrance foyer or on the wall behind the reception desk? All the awards they have won! Go into the home of any sportsperson. What do they have proudly on display? Their awards. Go into the home or office of any musician or actor. What has pride of place? The awards they have won.

Why do people enter their jams, preserves, floral works, knitting, photography etc. etc. into their local show? Because they want to have the opportunity to win an award!

Why do athletes enter themselves into competitions such as the Commonwealth or Olympic Games? Because they want the chance to win an award!

Why do I , and others on this site, upload to this particular site? Because there's a chance we can win an award for our work!

It would appear that there are probably millions like me out there in this big world who, purposely, put themselves in the way of winning awards!

Last Modified By PhillipMinnis at 18 Feb 2014 - 10:26 PM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023194 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2014 - 10:31 PM

And that's fine and as I've said, the only award not being given out at the moment is the GE and its return or whatever replaces it, is around the corner.

There are members of this site who happily posted photos when the only award was the EC....and that was it.

Jestertheclown
18 Feb 2014 - 10:44 PM

Quote: I've never hidden my preference for wanting to be part of a site that is awards based.

Awards based?

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2014 - 10:53 PM

Quote: Because there's a chance we can win an award for our work!

Yes, thats it - a chance.

Taking your above analogy that awards can drive people, yes of course it does but you have to be out in front otherwise awards are just given for the taking part.

Reading your posts suggests to me that you personally are not receiving enough of awards is that right?

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2014 - 11:07 PM

Quote: Because they want to have the opportunity to win an award

But you have the opportunity, every time you upload. I suspect that's not really the issue.

You may be tired of people giving you the answers, but they are the only ones we have at present. I'm afraid you're going to have to let the team find their feet. And be aware that when you demand answers from the team, you're taking more of their time away from selecting images.

I'm sure there are many for whom awards are important. For most of us, it's just the icing on a much larger cake, and the team work hard to provide that content too.

Now personally, I'd say that exposure to a high standard of images over the last ten years means that it's harder to find striking images that stands out above the rest. I'm harder to impress than I used to be, because my own skills have improved. And uniqueness is something that forms a major part of any award. Would you really advocate a badge of honour for "technically perfect but painfully old hat" images? I'd rather get an unexpected award for stepping out of my comfort zone than a dozen because I played it safe. That's one of the reasons I rarely post two identical shots from the same session. But that's just me, and each to their own.

PhillipMinnis
18 Feb 2014 - 11:08 PM

Quote:
Reading your posts suggests to me that you personally are not receiving enough of awards is that right?

What a totally ridiculous thing to write!

When, in these forums, have I ever hinted that I have am not receiving enough awards????

My posts are all about the obvious reduction in the amount of awards being issued on this site during the past few weeks, and the ongoing discussion about the future of the GE awards etc. etc.! Nothing more, nothing less!!!

Before you make such a suggestion, I strongly recommend that you go back through each of my posts, and if you find anything to suggest that I'm unhappy because I have not received enough awards, please post my complaints here, and I'm prepared to look a complete idiot.

If you can't find anything to suggest that I'm upset that I'm not receiving enough awards, it would be very much appreciated if you retract your statement!!!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2014 - 11:15 PM

It was a question, not a statement, I'm interested and this is an open forum open for questions is it not?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014843 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2014 - 11:24 PM

so incredibly defensive....

PhillipMinnis
18 Feb 2014 - 11:25 PM

Precisely! That is what forums are for.

However, I'll ask you a question. What prompted you to ask me such a question? What have I ever written that would lead you to ask that question? Where, in any of my forum posts, have I suggested that I'm not receiving enough awards?

PhillipMinnis
18 Feb 2014 - 11:26 PM

Quote: so incredibly defensive....

Absolutely, Ade! And I'll continue to be! Smile

answersonapostcard
18 Feb 2014 - 11:29 PM

People rarely make such demands for other people, especially when they say
Quote: I only joined this site because it was a fairly strong award-based site. I absolutely love to receive awards from official judges!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: No need to continue without OP