Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Why such a difference?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jonah794
    jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2010 - 4:45 PM

H i all,

Was in Israel a few weeks ago and at Ben Gurion airport I was scanning round the Electrical shop like all do. They seemed to have a large camera section containing Nikon 300mm f2.8s and Canon 24-70mm L lenses on Canon 1D mkIVs. They were selling a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF with 30mb/s and a free software for $88. In Dixons, with a 10% off sale back in Luton airport, this same caard was sold for $200 !! Then, I wanted an 8GB SDHC 45mb/s card... this was $26 dollars. The Dixons one was $92!! We bought both and to add... on theway out to Israel from Luton, I bought an 8GB Sandisk Extremem card with 15mb/s CF which was $82! The Israeli one was $31...

So a top tip for you all - if buying camera memory cards, go to Ben Gurion Airport! Why on earth are the prices so different?

Jonah

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Feb 2010 - 4:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
    19 Feb 2010 - 5:51 PM

Tell me about it my boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toonman
    Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2010 - 6:04 PM

Rip off Britain, we just let it happen.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53577 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2010 - 6:06 PM

almost makes you want to open a web store with product sourced from the airport's supplier. Then each country shipped to will want import duty tax, and supplier will also raise prices as margins elsewhere are now being eroded. Unless they were just selling unwanted stock as a loss leader to get you back next time.
    Anyway welcome back to the uk, hope holiday was good.

jonah794
    19 Feb 2010 - 6:07 PM

Thanks for responses... Smile Just come back from skiing - checked the prices at the Geneva Airport - they are the same as the UK ones.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2010 - 6:08 PM

Markup - if you look around online as well in places like Amazon you can get a massive reduction in price. The simple fact is memory cards get a large markup on the highstreet in price so the shop gets to make a much larger amount of profit off them. The same is true of a lot of other accessories in shops - charge them less for the main unit (the camera) but clean up the profit on all the addons.
    I seem to recall as well that filters also get a massive markup in price and that one can get "hongkong" ebay filters which are the same item for significantly less if you know which ones to get.

jonah794
    19 Feb 2010 - 6:11 PM

Agree with the above definitely Smile

lawbert
    lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2010 - 6:19 PM

Just to agree with Overread I wanted a 67mm Hoya Pro 1 protector filter which my local camera shop wanted 60 for, Warehouse Express 47.99 plus postage.
    I bookmarked it on Amazon at 32.49 plus postage and went back to the same page a couple of days later and it was 21.12 plus 4 postage Smile
    It pays to keep checking links whatever your buying as the prices do fluctuate from day to day.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.