Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Why would a pro wedding photographer want to train an assistant?

UserRemoved 10 4.2k
3 Aug 2005 7:01AM
Joe B - you're sacked.

Padawan - you arent going to be employed now.

I must have a word with Mr Mactavish....

To be serious Matt,
All of the above, your own insurance for event photog would be good so I dont have to pay extortionate rates for people on the off chance they may do the odd bit of work.
Also you have to supply me with NI numbers for payment so declaring the income yourself might not be a bad idea Wink
Own transport is good too.
Photo equipment - lol well good stuff would be good - not looking for the 350 brigade unless they really know what they are doing. Prints/images etc are sold under my name so quality has to be good and I dont want to spend time editing other peoples poor/soft images. Some events its not a problem as they use my back up gear so being familiar with Canon would be nice but not essential.
For example, people I would readily have as sports 2nd shooters are Joe B and Gerry Smith - both on this site - and whom I've 'worked' with tenuously on this site. Chris Roberts is a good man too but I may not be able to afford him soon Wink
Jamie also shows potential as well and I'd have him work for me and train him - as long as his wage demands were realistic Wink Eh Jamie?

Weekend only isnt a problem as I plan out events months in advance (indeed agreeing dates for some of next years stuff at the end of Sept) but reliability is more important. Weekdays I can usually cover with a number of other pro photogs or assistants. Most event stuff is weekends anyway and I mainly do week weddings. (I'm actually 2nd shooter for a friend on Friday!).

Its really the person Matt rather than the gear and I would like to see a portfolio of recent (i.e. in the last month) shots rather than a 'lifes' work. Then you would get a days trial to see if you are up to the job.

Interesting thing is that I had my 12 year old nephew with me in the Isle of Man earlier this year. He has a great eye for a photo. He cant work the cameras properly (or indeed hold them for any length of time - 350 time? Wink) but that all can be learned. The eye for the photo cant really IMHO. So he'll be bumped up from minor assistant/runner sometime next year.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

snapbandit e2
10 2.2k 3 Northern Ireland
3 Aug 2005 7:08AM

Quote:Joe B - you're sacked

awwww... I've just gone out & bought some grey 'Hammerite' to paint my lenses with too!!...

;-(

Joe B
wotashot e2
11 2.2k
3 Aug 2005 7:08AM

Quote:Jamie also shows potential as well and I'd have him work for me and train him - as long as his wage demands were realistic Wink Eh Jamie?

hehe, of course they wont be Wink

Get it sorted an I'm there!

Jamie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.