Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wi-Fi Symbol on your Credit Card

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cantona43
    cantona43 e2 Member 9884 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2012 - 8:28 PM

I have just had this drawn to my attention and it is quite alarming and shows how insecure your cards can be even while in your wallets,purses or pockets, use the link and watch the video

Credit Card

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Oct 2012 - 8:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2012 - 8:48 PM

This offers some advice

http://southmilwaukeepd.org/pdf/ID%20Theft%20RFID.pdf

paulcookphotography

So wait, let me get this straight...

It has been found that credit card scanners can actually read the RFID cards they are intended to read? Yes, there is obviously a risk with this type of card, but i would have thought it was pretty obvious that if the intended scanner at a store can read it, then any other scanner would read it too. Its certainly a technology that needs to become more secure, but i hope they are putting more development in to security than a 'scare' stating the obvious...

SteveHunter
    30 Oct 2012 - 12:02 PM

It's not really that scary, especially in the UK.

1. For someone to get hold of this information they would need to get close to you for a period of time to read the card.
    2. All they can read is the card number and the expiry date which in the UK is of very little use.

You can't shop online with just a card number and expiry date, if you do the merchant is liable for the fraud as they didn't perform sufficient checks you had the card in hand. They have to use the CVV/CV2 code as well, which is not obtained from the FRID chip.

You can't use this in store in the UK as we have switched over to Chip and PIN, the PIN is also not on the RFID device. This would only work on Mag Stripe transactions which are now few and far between, and if you did one your transaction would go through heightened checking through the Fraud detection tools as part of the Authorisation and would likely not be approved.

Even in the US, where one daty they may start using Chip and PIN the amount of Fraud being commited this way is minimal at a time when nearly all Credit and Debit cards being issued worldwide have the RFID capability.

mikehit
    30 Oct 2012 - 12:51 PM

Oi! I've seen TV where someone casually walks down the street and scans people's credit cards as they walk past. It was on CSI so it must be true.....

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 1:27 PM

they use wireless payment in some macdonalds

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 2:11 PM

There is a 20 pounds maximum on this type of transaction at this time with my bank.

Thanks to Steve hunter, that put my mind at ease, as this was worrying me a little

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 2:14 PM

Ever used an Oyster card? It's the same thing. I use mine to turn on the bluetooth when I put my phone into my car dock.

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 3:07 PM

same as wireless key entry to a car. has to be fairly secure i guess

thewilliam
    31 Oct 2012 - 12:40 PM

Quote: Same as wireless key entry to a car. has to be fairly secure i guess

I hadn't realised that there was any such thing as a "secure" lock!

mikehit
    31 Oct 2012 - 1:06 PM

I had one of those once.
    Twenty paces from the car and I was thinking 'did I hear it lock?' How do you check? You can't really go back to the car and try the door to make sure.....its enough to send anyone into OCD hyperdrive! Tongue

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2012 - 1:25 PM

The car ones can be beaten if you have true key less, i.e. a push the button to start system. for the thief what is needed is an RF transmitter to block the lock signal, so as people leave the car it never locks. The theif then enters the car and via a bit of software on a lap top you program a spare key into the system and off you drive. If you have the classic lock barrel in the ignition then you need to either break into it lock and hot wire it to drive off, more secure. So always check it send the lock confirmation signal (flash of lights or beep)

Of course this could be solved if the car manufacturers put in a 24 hour delay for the car to accept a new key, with the system having to talk all the way through the 24 hours. It would give you a fair chance of spotting the thief. Or a biometric lock but again you would need good controls on how it was programmed.

Last Modified By strawman at 31 Oct 2012 - 1:27 PM
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Oct 2012 - 1:42 PM

Quote: Twenty paces from the car and I was thinking 'did I hear it lock?' How do you check? You can't really go back to the car and try the door to make sure.....its enough to send anyone into OCD hyperdrive!

I have my car set to flash its lights on both locking and unlocking. But, I have to admit, I still sometimes do a visual check on the interior doorlock buttons. It must look a bit obsessive. Lol! Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.