Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Wi-Fi Symbol on your Credit Card

cantona43 9 915 4 England
29 Oct 2012 8:28PM
I have just had this drawn to my attention and it is quite alarming and shows how insecure your cards can be even while in your wallets,purses or pockets, use the link and watch the video

Credit Card

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2012 8:48PM
29 Oct 2012 9:39PM
So wait, let me get this straight...

It has been found that credit card scanners can actually read the RFID cards they are intended to read? Yes, there is obviously a risk with this type of card, but i would have thought it was pretty obvious that if the intended scanner at a store can read it, then any other scanner would read it too. Its certainly a technology that needs to become more secure, but i hope they are putting more development in to security than a 'scare' stating the obvious...
SteveHunter 6 386 1 England
30 Oct 2012 12:02PM
It's not really that scary, especially in the UK.

1. For someone to get hold of this information they would need to get close to you for a period of time to read the card.
2. All they can read is the card number and the expiry date which in the UK is of very little use.

You can't shop online with just a card number and expiry date, if you do the merchant is liable for the fraud as they didn't perform sufficient checks you had the card in hand. They have to use the CVV/CV2 code as well, which is not obtained from the FRID chip.

You can't use this in store in the UK as we have switched over to Chip and PIN, the PIN is also not on the RFID device. This would only work on Mag Stripe transactions which are now few and far between, and if you did one your transaction would go through heightened checking through the Fraud detection tools as part of the Authorisation and would likely not be approved.

Even in the US, where one daty they may start using Chip and PIN the amount of Fraud being commited this way is minimal at a time when nearly all Credit and Debit cards being issued worldwide have the RFID capability.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2012 12:51PM
Oi! I've seen TV where someone casually walks down the street and scans people's credit cards as they walk past. It was on CSI so it must be true.....
mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2012 1:27PM
they use wireless payment in some macdonalds
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2012 2:11PM
There is a 20 pounds maximum on this type of transaction at this time with my bank.

Thanks to Steve hunter, that put my mind at ease, as this was worrying me a little
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2012 2:14PM
Ever used an Oyster card? It's the same thing. I use mine to turn on the bluetooth when I put my phone into my car dock.
mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2012 3:07PM
same as wireless key entry to a car. has to be fairly secure i guess
thewilliam 6 4.9k
31 Oct 2012 12:40PM

Quote:Same as wireless key entry to a car. has to be fairly secure i guess

I hadn't realised that there was any such thing as a "secure" lock!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2012 1:06PM
I had one of those once.
Twenty paces from the car and I was thinking 'did I hear it lock?' How do you check? You can't really go back to the car and try the door to make sure.....its enough to send anyone into OCD hyperdrive! Tongue
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2012 1:25PM
The car ones can be beaten if you have true key less, i.e. a push the button to start system. for the thief what is needed is an RF transmitter to block the lock signal, so as people leave the car it never locks. The theif then enters the car and via a bit of software on a lap top you program a spare key into the system and off you drive. If you have the classic lock barrel in the ignition then you need to either break into it lock and hot wire it to drive off, more secure. So always check it send the lock confirmation signal (flash of lights or beep)

Of course this could be solved if the car manufacturers put in a 24 hour delay for the car to accept a new key, with the system having to talk all the way through the 24 hours. It would give you a fair chance of spotting the thief. Or a biometric lock but again you would need good controls on how it was programmed.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
31 Oct 2012 1:42PM

Quote:Twenty paces from the car and I was thinking 'did I hear it lock?' How do you check? You can't really go back to the car and try the door to make sure.....its enough to send anyone into OCD hyperdrive!

I have my car set to flash its lights on both locking and unlocking. But, I have to admit, I still sometimes do a visual check on the interior doorlock buttons. It must look a bit obsessive. Lol! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.