Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

wide angle lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    poopdecker
    5 Nov 2012 - 7:49 PM

My favorite. Lens is a Sigma 10-20 mm wide angle'i also have a 35mm nikon could I use. This as a wide. Angle. Lens as well

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Nov 2012 - 7:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2012 - 8:03 PM

What ever rocks your boat, if the 35mm is wide enough, use it.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 6:25 AM

not that wide though is it ! it will be about 50mm .

nibor2012
    nibor2012  1
    6 Nov 2012 - 12:53 PM

ever since i also bought a sigma 10-20 lens its not been off my nikon an awsome bit of kit
    nibor-2012Grin

Keebsuk
    Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Nov 2012 - 4:11 PM

I have the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 on my Canon 60D and it's a brilliant lens. I rarely use anything else for landscape work.Grin

Andy

User_Removed
    6 Nov 2012 - 5:00 PM

Quote: I have the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 on my Canon 60D and it's a brilliant lens. I rarely use anything else for landscape work.Grin

Andy

Andy,

Not disagreeing about the Sigma 10-20mm lens. I loved it when I was using a crop-frame camera.

But when you say "I rarely use anything else for landscape work", aren't you severely limiting yourself? Wide-angle lenses are by no means the only focal length that you should be thinking about when assessing a scene for a landscape photograph.

On my FX camera, the focal lengths that I use most frequently for landscapes, in order of frequency, are:

1. 24-70mm
    2. 70-200mm
    3. 16-35mm

(In fact, I now tend to use a 20mm prime rather than the 16-35mm zoom if I do want a wider angle than the bottom end of my 24-70mm gives)

There are uses for the 10-20mm in landscape work, especially if you want to artificially distort the perspective to accentuate near-foreground features. But do look at the more natural landscapes that you will get (on a crop sensor camera) from a lens in the "standard" 30-35mm range and also at the more dramatic landscapes you can capture with a medium telephoto.

All I am saying is that if you "rarely use" anything else you might be missing many of the best landscape opportunities.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Nov 2012 - 5:00 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 5:05 PM

Quote: not that wide though is it ! it will be about 50mm

Compared to a 200mm, yes Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.