Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wide Angle Lens help?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:04 PM

Hi all,

I own a Canon 600D with a few different lenses as i'm a Media student interested in film-making.

I'm looking for a wide angle lens for scenic shots and landscapes, preferably a Canon one if possible. I'll be using the lens for video footage mostly, any ideas on what lens would suit me would help me a lot.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for me? As cheap as possible please as i'm only a student Wink

Thanks in advance,
    Jordan.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:13 PM

What 'few different lenses' do you have?
    The kit lens 18-55 is very good for the money but if you already have that, what is it that makes you want a new lens? The next step up for me cost-wise would be the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or the Tamron 18-270. Then comes the Canon 15-85.

Focus_Man
    Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:16 PM

You cannot have A Canon lens then say "As cheap as possible" I think that the 10-20 Sigma lens is superb, it just depends upon whether or not you want something that wide. If not then I also bought the sigma 17-50mm f2.8 lens which is also excellent and good value for money.

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:19 PM

I've got a Canon 18-55mm kit lens, a Canon 50mm 1.8 and a Canon 55-250mm lens.

I fancy a wide angle lens for scenic shots that i'll use as fillers. Just to make them a bit nicer really Smile

Thanks

mikehit
    mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:37 PM

If you want something wider, then the Sigma 10-20 (about 360) or the Canon 10-22 (about 400) are the better options. You could look at sites likeFfordes or MPB Photographic for second hand options.
    Personally I find 17/18mm OK for a vast majority of what I do - what people very rarely tell you about the two mentioned above is that youneed to take great care with composition to avoid images being banal. That is why you see so many landscapes with the cliche'd big boulder in the foreground because without it there is little to hold the eye in the frame. I know of several who bought the 10-22 (or 10-20) and found it got very little use for that reason. Whether the same limitations apply to video I don't know.

You can buy wide angle converters that will turn your 18-55 into a 8-25mm
    http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photographic/lens-converters/52mm-wide-angle-conver...

I don't know about the quality but that may not be as important for video.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:38 PM

personally i would be inclined to go for the sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens or if you must go for canon then the 10-22mm in canon.
    both are superb lenses and not much IQ between them.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:39 PM

lol got betaten to it by mikehit, well said m8.

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:53 PM

Cheers guys, it looks like i'll go for the Sigma 10-20.
    Thanks for your help!

MrGoatsmilk
    9 Jan 2013 - 7:13 PM

I used a Sigma 10-20mm on my 40D fantastic lens, gets plenty use when out and about. There are a couple of seascapes in my pics here to give you an idea, ones taken in Saundersfoot were taken using it.

I got mine used and in very good condition you don't always need to buy new if you find someone who looks after their gear.

Stu

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    9 Jan 2013 - 7:26 PM

Ah yeah, some great shots there!
    Looks awesome, I look forward to using one.

Thanks again guys!

thewizard
    thewizard  1 United Kingdom
    16 Jan 2013 - 6:31 PM

go for the tokina 11-16 mm

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 6:51 PM

Takes some beetling the Sigma 10-20, and there's loads around so should be able to pick one up second hand at a reasonable price

601782 Junior Member 2 England
    23 Jan 2013 - 1:31 PM

Have been using the sigma 10-20mm for a month now with my Canon 600D and absolutely love it. Got mine off ebay, usually there are plenty on there to buy in excellent condition for a lot cheaper than shop prices.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.