Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Wide Angle Lenses for D800

Hi all, anyone know or tested whether are best buy Nikon 16-35 F4 VR or Tokina 17-35 ATX Pro F4 FX? I believed that 16-35 VR will be very good. I am not interesting Nikon 14-24 due to big filter attachment.
Only lenses for D800 not E version. Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Nov 2012 4:46PM
Welcome to ePHOTOzine David Smile
Here's our reviews of the 17-35 ATX Pro f/4 FX
and the Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR
Thanks Pete That interesting as 16-35VR looks bit better, you heard mix review that 16-35VR have poor soft edge? also same review over tokina 17-35 as well. I wonder of all review by user may not know how to do properly?
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Nov 2012 5:08PM
We provide test photos taken in real situations so you can look at edges. And all kit is also tested using Imatest so you can compare from a more lab based scenario. We think we do them properly and without bias so you can trust our results. The only thing we don't do is batch test (several of the same lens) I don't know any sites that do though. Doing so would prevent a particularly good or bad lens being reviewed as a one off.
annettep38 e2
3 188 32 France
21 Nov 2012 11:20PM
I wouldn't dismiss the 14-24 for the lack of a filter thread. It is very easy to turn it back to 24 or e en only 20 mm and the lens goes back far enough to be out of harm's way.
I hate to admit it, but it is even better thank the 20 2.8 prime and the 18mm 3.5 .
Thanks to good advice here on the forum I bought this zomm and I'd never swap it for anything else.
Also, it nicely complements a mid range zoom such as 28-70.
Yes it is really as sharp and contrasty as the legendiary 24 mm prime!
22 Nov 2012 10:22AM
Hi annettep38, that interesting, I have been thinking about very similar situation as what you are suggest. Nikon 20mm prime F2.8 is cheaper and very good at F8 or F11 whole frame sharpness. I have Nikon 24-85 F3.5/4 VR is brilliant lens very sharp not much difference to Nikon 24-70 F2.8 for three time price!!!. I think 18mm F3.5 manual Nikon is very good as well but no good with Lee filters with CPL and two grad filters due to vignette. However 20mm is best length for Lee.

I heard in nikon rumours that it will be new 18mm G lens in coming future. I might think I will buy 20mm rather then 16-35, its cheaper.Wink
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
22 Nov 2012 6:54PM
I put off buying the 16-35 due to the reviews. Eventually I just ignored them and read "real life" reviews. It's a great lens. Yes at 16mm there's distortion, but what ultra wide doesn't have distortion at the wide end? And it's edge sharpness is great when used at the usual apertures (F5.6-F16), to now I haven't tried F4@16mm but why would you use that anyway?

BTW Lightroom sorts out the distortion with no problem at all, all you do is tick the lens distortion tab.
photofrenzy e2
8 424 2 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2012 9:24PM
I actually sold the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 to buy the newer Nikkor 16-35 f4 VR. I can say i wasnt dissapointed with the decision not one bit . It is truly a superb tac sharp lens needs a bit of procesing work on your images if shot using the wide end @16mm due to its severe barrell distortion.

However this is an easy fix in NX2 or photoshop. I use the lens mainly for landscapes usually at f11 and results are spectacular contrast is velvia like .Wink
Hi Nick_w, Thank you very much funny I have been read many review some said not good some said very good, can you give me which real life review?
Hi photofrenzy, thank you and very interesting, I think I will hold back to buy nikon 20mm F2.8, I may think over 16-35 F4.....heard nikon plans new 16-30 F4.5?
annettep38 e2
3 188 32 France
23 Nov 2012 12:42AM
David, you can get a MF Nikkor 20mm 2.8 for as little as 200 USD... it is a great lens and distortion-free. You can always sell it or keep it for the day you want to travel light Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
23 Nov 2012 1:51AM

Quote:David, you can get a MF Nikkor 20mm 2.8

Or you could get the vivitar series 1 19mm nikkor fit that is every bit as good for 20 bucks Smile
Manual Nikkor but why not 20mm F2.8 AFD, its same glass and same design as manual, sharp across whole from F5.6 down, can be purchasde 350 from ebay
See my album for Test nikon 17-35 F2.8 normal and crop
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
18 Jan 2013 9:30AM
For a long time I put off buying the 14-24mm f/2.8 Nikkor because it has no filter thread and I used the Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 with both my D3s and D800.

Make no mistake about it - that 16-35mm is an absolutely superb lens. But I did eventually, a few months ago, succumb to the desire for that extra 2mm at the wide end and sold my 16-35mm on eBay and bought a 14-24mm (again secondhand on eBay), reconciling myself to paying half as much for a Lee filter system for it as the lens itself cost (750 for the lens, 400 for the filter holder and three filters!!).

Yes - I am very happy with the new lens and the filter system works well (even though we all know that Lee filters are no better than 5 Chinese Cheapies - unfortunately the Chinese don't yet produce cheapies that will fit that lens.)

So, with personal experience of both systems, what would I recommend?

Well, if you are a genuine amateur like me, who just needs his hobby to cover itself financially and is a self-confessed technophile, then by all means splash out on the 14-24mm Nikkor. You won't regret it.

But if you are either a beginner paying for his/her hobby out of a restricted family budget or, alternatively, a semi-pro who needs to carefully calculate a cost-benefit analysis for any proposed purchase, then the 16-35mm might be a better first step.

One of the beauties of lenses, of course, (as opposed to camera bodies) is that they do not go quickly out of date and, if you buy secondhand on eBay, then you are likely to get your money back if you subsequently re-sell to buy a different one.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.