Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

WiFi v Homeplug v Wired

lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 11:22AM
I've just been drilling through a few walls (as you do) to run a wired broadband connection from my router, rather than the homeplugs I used before. Results are quite interesting.

WiFi speed in same room as router 35.65 mbs. Wifi upstairs in furthest bedroom 16.47Mbs. Homeplug connection 37.33 Mbs. New wired connection 62.75 Mbs. I pay for a 30Mbs connection to my ISP but they recently upgraded it to 60Mbs at the same charge.

So there is a definite advantage to the wired connection, even if it makes little difference in the real world. But I'm impressed with the WiFi particularly.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

28 Feb 2013 11:28AM
Hard to beat gigabit lan, just need a router or switch with more than one gigabit port.
GazzaG2003 11 252 England
28 Feb 2013 12:30PM
my wifi speed of my laptops in the same room was about the 1/3 of my hardwired Desktop PC.
Kako e2
8 143
28 Feb 2013 12:52PM
I'm thinking of going back to hard wiring the main desktop, as it used to be. Definitely faster, fewer glitches and screen freezes, and reducing the wifi connections in the house will be better for the health of all my family as less radiation.
hollkj e2
10 196 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 1:05PM
Makes sense if you have the broadband speed. I'm in a small village and stuck at 1.5Mbs. I use both wifi and homeplugs, both of which are currently overkill Sad
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
28 Feb 2013 1:11PM
My whole house runs on Homeplugs, including the laptop. The main reason being the wireless webcams I use interfere with the internet WiFi (2.4ghz), I tried changing the channels on the WiFi router, but nothing seemed to make any real difference. I was also getting my WiFi knocked out somewhat by the next door neighbour, so now the whole house runs on homeplugs and it's just a simple case of plugging a lead in. Another aspect to consider is the fact now I have the wireless turned off on the ASDL router nobody in the road be it neighbours or Google etc know I have a live broadband connection, so from a security angle no-one is able to piggie back the WiFi signal as there isn't one. The broadband is also a lot more stable and faster, I can't remember the last time I had a drop-out of any description either. I'd recommend doing it to anyone especially as you can buy a basic kit of home-plugs now for less than 30
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 3:31PM
Ade - I have my computer on on a gang board with surge protector and RFI reduction stuff in it. Do you use those as well? I have read somewhere that the RFI technology can mistake the homeplug signal for mains hash and degrade the internet signal.
lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 3:42PM

Quote:My whole house runs on Homeplugs

Yes, I like the homeplugs. I only wired the connection directly because the rooms are quite close. If it had meant drilling through several walls I wouldn't have bothered.

Something has gone a bit wrong in the UK, HollKJ. I have a place in a hilltop village in the Languedoc, it's quite remote, over 20 miles from any town yet I have the slowest basic 8Mbs broadband which actually measures at 8. I could have 20Mbs if I wanted.

I wonder why France can do that and we cannot? As with our roads and railways we seem to have ceased to invest in our future.

Having said that, since I don't download films or play games on-line, there is not a great deal of difference in normal day to day interweb use for online banking and email etc, between 10Mbs and 60 Mbs. I't's nice when you are downloading an updated LibreOffice suite of 240Mb say but on a slow connection I used to set it going before I was taking a coffee break so it no real time saving.
thewilliam 6 4.9k
28 Feb 2013 4:32PM
The snag with wired is that it's that outsiders find it too easily accessible.

When I was at a web seminar held in our village hall, the speaker didn't need to use the hall web connection. He just used wi-fi and squatted on somebody else's connection but he had no idea whose!
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 4:35PM
I think you mean wireless.

The ability to squat is less available these days as more people have worked out how to lock down their wireless connection.
lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 4:50PM

Quote: He just used wi-fi and squatted on somebody else's connection but he had no idea whose!

Only idiots leave them unsecured. It takes all of 10 seconds to secure your connection. The kind of people who do that probably have the same password for all their sites, publish all kind of details on Facebook and go visiting dodgy web sites to download films. Insecure WiFi is the least of their problems.

Watching a holiday programme on TV, someone at the British consulate, been on the beach and gone to get lunch. Left all their belongings, wallets etc on their sunbeds. They 'thought they would be safe'. I regularly see people fill their cars with petrol and then go in to the kiosk pay, leaving the doors unlocked, belongings on the seat and sometimes key in the ignition.

It makes me think of a driver I heard who'd just managed to avoid a bloke who had stepped straight in of his car between parked cars while fiddling with his phone. I heard this loud Australian accent ring across the square 'sling me yer brain, mate, I'm building an idiot' Grin
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
28 Feb 2013 5:39PM
Wifi used to be really great when only a few people had it in 'your' street. Now, it's a bad idea but still has it's uses.

The bandwidth and channels are now too crowded because everyone has wifi in there homes. The signals all interfere with each other which affect download/ upload speeds and connectivity. Because of this, your main computer and static computers should be wired for better connectivity and speeds. (I am a Radio/ Electronic Engineer and I know what I am talking about). The only way you can 'beat' this at the moment is going for the 5Ghz wifi which means all new equipment as your 'legacy' items wont be able to connect to it and soon, as with wifi, more and more people will have this as well.

For you low data transferable devices wifi is still ok, your wifi picture frame etc but if you really want to maximize the speeds of the new faster and faster broadbands, you really need wired!!

Andy
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
28 Feb 2013 5:41PM

Quote:Ade - I have my computer on on a gang board with surge protector and RFI reduction stuff in it. Do you use those as well? I have read somewhere that the RFI technology can mistake the homeplug signal for mains hash and degrade the internet signal.

Same here Mike, but the Homeplug is in a socket all of it's own. Sue uses her laptop on an extension lead with the Homeplug fitted in the same gang and hasn't experienced any problems whatsoever.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
28 Feb 2013 6:29PM
I should add that within the instructions it recommends you don't plug them into extension leads, however as I say the wife currently uses her laptop in this way and she'd moan like hell if her speed was being affected Blush
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 7:09PM

Quote:Hard to beat gigabit lan
Since max uk broadband speed is approx 50MB gigabit is no more quicker than 100mb lan connection when using internet connections.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.