Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Wild camping

neptune 11 76 England
13 Jun 2008 9:21PM
Hi all,
I am wanting to go to Snowdonia for a days mountain walking with my girlfriend (she's a fellow photographer but has never been) and wanted to camp overnight. Although I realise that there are numerous official campsites in the area, I was hoping to camp somewhere a little more remote. I remember photographing a fantastic area around Llynau Mymbyr on several occasions, and there was evidence that people had been camping there on the shores of the lake.

My question(s) is:
1 - Is it legal? I'm very courteous in the countryside and firmly believe in leaving any place at least how I find it.
2 - If not strictly legal, what are the likely consequences? Are we likely to simply be told to clear off or something more serious?
3 - Does anyone know of anywhere else in the area where "wild" camping is permitted?

Many thanks
Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_P 8 487 4 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2008 9:38PM
Don't know, but this and this might help

Edit:

Also this
neptune 11 76 England
13 Jun 2008 9:47PM
Thanks Simon there's some good information there.
I will say though, that while I called it "wild" camping, it is infact a spot thats probably less than a mile from an official site(s), about 600 yards from the road, and about 600 yards from a hotel. Its a gorgeous spot though, and you can see the sun set behind snowdon from there, and the whole mountain range lights up with the sunrise.
We'd only be camping from dusk to dawn(ish) and enjoying a bottle of wine, so there won't be any issue with digging holes to poo in or anything like that, and definitely no fires.
Would you think it's worth getting in touch with the hotel close by?

Thanks again - I love your portfolio btw. Very varied and interesting.
Ian
mad-dogs 12 2.2k England
13 Jun 2008 10:07PM
The nearest places that I can think of are down by the river in the Llanberis Pass below the cliffs of Dinas Cromlech, where the huge boulders lie beside the road and Glogwyn y Grochan further down the valley.

There are some bivouacs under the boulders and one under the nose of Dinas Mot - known as 'the slot'

Unless you go higher up on the mountains, I think you may have to use official campsites.

Garth farm at the far end of the lakes used to be a campsite and not a very busy one like some of the others at Capel.
Simon_P 8 487 4 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2008 10:11PM
I have done wild camping in the past, Iím not sure if it is actually illegal or just againsed the different national parks rules, never had a problem myself, I used to live in the New Forest where off site camping was not allowed, but had friends that used to visit and camp off site, they got caught once and were just told to pack up and go to a site. They were in the middle of nowhere, at least 2 miles from any dwellings; I was surprised that they got found, just goes to show that the rangers go pretty deep in the forrest.

I think itís a case of you make your choice and take your chance, here in Scotland its pretty common activity, with the rights of access code making it a bit easier and maybe permitted in some places?

I think if you are too close to hotels etc you are more likely to get rumbled, Im not sure if contacting the local hotel would provide any benefits as you are basically saying ďcan I do what I am not a allowed to do?Ē from their pov they would rather you are paying for a room.

Some land owners will allow you to camp if you ask and donít make a mess etc, usual common sense, clear up etc sort of thing.

You have a nice gallery too, lovely shot of the, ever popular Buchaille.
neptune 11 76 England
13 Jun 2008 10:28PM
Cheers David - I'll take a look at where that site is, although it was the whole remote thing with the spectacular sun set/rise which has appealed. Having said that, the place with the boulders could be worth a look. Many thanks.

Thanks again for taking the time Simon. I think its probably worth taking the chance? Like I said its only from dusk to dawn and we won't be making any mess. There is a very real possibility of being found though simply due to the location. Plus there's a cycle/foot path about 30 yards behind the spot I have in mind.
Thanks for your kind portfolio comments too.

Anyway, I'm off to the pub for a quick couple of well earned pints, so I'll check back in a little while!

Thanks again for your replies

Ian
ellis rowell 10 2.0k United Kingdom
13 Jun 2008 10:36PM
"Wild Camping" is allowed in Scotland but not in England and Wales. You could be prosecuted under the 1936 Public health act. You may probably get away with it but the risk is there.
mad-dogs 12 2.2k England
13 Jun 2008 10:42PM
You can camp around the Pen y Gwryd Hotel, but that and the Llanberis Pass may be too far from where you want to be.

You get a good shot of Snowdon at sunrise from Capel Pinnacles - behind the church opposite the Pinnacle cafe at the triangle.
You might get away with camping up by the pinnacles.
riggwelter 7 165 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2008 1:23AM
As long as you can't be seen, no one knows you are there and most importantly- LEAVE NO TRACE of you being there, then you will be ok.

Wildcamping is not a criminal offence, it is a civil matter. (you cannot be arrested for camping)!!

In England and Wales, the landowner has the right to ask you to move on and use reasonable force to move you if need be - never happened to me though.
neptune 11 76 England
14 Jun 2008 3:01AM
Thanks Richard - you've basically said exactly what i was thinking.
"Leave no trace" is something i think of very highly. It's not a serious camping trip, just a bit of fun, and a (hopefully!) very romantic moment... There's some underground photography forums who have a (unwritten) code of conduct - take only pictures and leave only footprints. Something I think many of us could take on board.

Good to hear that is not a criminal offence. There's always a good argument to be had in a civil matter I think? Especially if you don't cause any kind of problem.

Cheers Richard

Ian
NeilS e2
7 936 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2008 8:20AM
I have camped at the pub at Waunfawr, and if you walk over the hill towards llanberis you will see a place on the os map called Pen Y Bwlch, its due west of llanberis and overlooks the valley, there is a shell of a building at the end of the track, but it should be an excellent and very lonely spot for the sunrise, no properties any where near its quite remote and you may get some shelter from the rocks
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2008 8:37AM
Wild camping with a tent is not illegal on dartmoor, you can use a tent for two nights, provided its more than 100m from a road or enclosure. But don't light a fire!

(I thought it used to be 400 yards from a road or habitation, it may have been updated)

Web page Here

I do remember the situation in wales was different, but there were locations where the rangers either didn't go, or turned a blind eye.
Can't remember the details though.
mjsayles 8 1.0k
14 Jun 2008 1:31PM

Quote:As long as you can't be seen, no one knows you are there and most importantly- LEAVE NO TRACE of you being there, then you will be ok.

Wildcamping is not a criminal offence, it is a civil matter. (you cannot be arrested for camping)!!

In England and Wales, the landowner has the right to ask you to move on and use reasonable force to move you if need be - never happened to me though.

That's spot on.

If you pitch fairly late and rise with the larks there's a good chance that nobody will ever know you were there.

In certain places (Lake District, for example), whilst wild-camping is not strictly 'permitted', it is tolerated, as long as you don't take the proverbial. I do a lot of wild-camping, mostly in the Lake District, and I've never had a problem. As long as you are sensible and courteous you'll be fine.
Angi_Wallace e2
6 172 10 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2008 6:28PM
I was told many years ago that I could wild camp in the lake district but I must be at least 1000 foot up a mountain/hill - not sure how true this is though. You could try asking on one of the outdoors/walking forums, Im sure you will get correct info there.
mjsayles 8 1.0k
16 Jun 2008 8:19PM
The trouble is there's no such thing as "correct" - because it's all technically illegal!

The height thing is oft-quoted, but it's impossible to put a number to it. Essentially, as long as you are up on the open fell, above the obvious limit of agricultural land, you should be OK. But as to what that height is varies depending on where you are - it might be 1000ft in certain areas, but it might be up to 2000ft in other spots, etc. I've seen lots of people wild-camping at valley level in some places - but they've been sensible about it, picked unobtrusive spots and packed up (and tidied up) very early. The lowest I've wild-camped is about 400 feet, in amongst the gorse on Blea Moss, between Blea Tarn and Little Langdale.

The best advice (if there can be such a thing when talking about an illegal concept!) is, as I said above, to just be sensible. If it looks like a spot that nobody will really mind you pitching on for a few hours, chances are you'll be OK. Obviously clear up any mess you make (if any), and leave no trace whatsoever that you've been there.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.