Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

wildlife photography (in snow!)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    youngw66
    youngw66  2
    30 Mar 2012 - 7:50 PM

I have fairly recently upgraded to a Canon 550D and took a photo of a Capercaillie which lives near to me in Austria, I would appreciate any comments on how well I have done, one thing I notice is that the snow is really washed out, with no texture to it at all, how would I go about improving this? or is it OK as it is?
    thanks for any advice/comments
    Will

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 30 Mar 2012 - 7:52 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Mar 2012 - 7:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Mar 2012 - 7:57 PM

Hi Will and welcome to the site.

I'm afraid we've had to remove your link, as it's against our terms. However, if you'd like to post the image to our gallery, there is an option to request critique of exactly the sort you are asking for. Doubtless one of our members will be able to help you out.

Hope you enjoy the site

David. (moderator, but ostensibly a well-wisher Wink)

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8979 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Mar 2012 - 7:57 PM

Will upload the image so we can see.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014686 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Mar 2012 - 8:21 PM

I have the 600D and it handles shots of wildlife in the snow admirably, in fact it's one of the best I've owned that does. However, there are some things you need to remember; I use spot metering almost exclusively, along with Aperture priority. If you use Auto mode, the camera may meter something that will throw off the exposure under extreme conditions like snow. I meter off the closest thing I can get to a medium colour in the image. If you meter off the snow, you can use rules of thumb; if sunny, dial in +1.5 to 2 EV compensation; if overcast, dial in +1. After taking the shot, press the info button and check the histogram for exposure.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Mar 2012 - 8:52 PM

A capercaillie in the snow is going to test the dynamic range of any camera.

The important thing is that the bird is correctly exposed.

Caper in snow

Can't post direct as updating from iPad

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014686 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Mar 2012 - 10:15 PM

I took this through my studio window a couple days ago. I metered off of just behind the crows eye; spot metered; ISO 400, auto ISO off: f4.0; and 0.0 EV compensation; RAW and processed in DPP, sharpened in Elements 7.0.

img-4747-copy.jpg

youngw66
    youngw66  2
    31 Mar 2012 - 1:26 PM

Sorry about the link, here is the photo!
    Will

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/capercaillie-in-the-snow-22806164

youngw66
    youngw66  2
    31 Mar 2012 - 1:30 PM

Looking at your excellent photo csurry I am thinking maybe I could try a wider aperture, of 4-5 rather than the 6.3 which I used for this photo to bring out the bird and blur the background more?

Last Modified By youngw66 at 31 Mar 2012 - 1:32 PM
    csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2012 - 2:52 PM

Thanks.

It's not easy with a caper, basically black against white. Your image has good detail in the bird and so I don't believe that the exposure was wildly off from the optimum in the conditions.

Your background will not be helping the situation because of the light coming through the trees to the left. Try to get a little lower so the bird is against the trees and there will be less difference between subject and background. In that situation if the snow burns out then so be it.

At the moment the bird is surrounded by white and so it is having a more detrimental effect on the overall image.

There are a few others from different angles in my portfolio with more or less of the surroundings which might help you to see how the proportion of snow to bird and background affects the impact of the burnout.

Last Modified By csurry at 31 Mar 2012 - 2:54 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.