Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wildlife Safari - Africa

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hi peeps,
I am after some advice from people who have been on wildlife safari before, as I am interested in going for one.
Where is the best place to go, which country? How to do it? Who did you go with? How much would it cost? When is the best time to go? Etc etc.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Feb 2013 - 12:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:33 PM

My best advice Cole is to buy a copy of the BBC Wildlife magazine or visit their website http://www.discoverwildlife.com/ because if it's Africa your toying with, different countries offer different wildlife. If it's the big five you want obviously Kenya could be your starting point, however if it were me I'd plump for Botswana. In the back of that magazine all the tour operators advertise their tours and offer different tours for different wildlife species, some for the big five, other for birds, insects and other obscurities, it all depends on what you want to shoot. Namibia I hear is really good, but can't comment as I've not been there.
In the magazine though you can find tour operators to anywhere in the world, it's well worth a look as you might find something different to the norm, were currently looking at an insect safari in the South American Rain Forests, but as you know that's my bag Tongue

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 18 Feb 2013 - 12:35 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:47 PM

I bumped into the people that run yoursafari in our local camera shop a few months ago.

No knowledge of the Company / Tours they run but maybe worth taking a browse around their website.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 18 Feb 2013 - 12:48 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:48 PM

Cheers both.
It looks like I need to win lottery first..... SadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSad

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:50 PM

I've been to Zambia twice and my husband and I are going back again this year. We booked through a company called Expert Africa - not cheap but they know their stuff. Botswana is generally thought to be the best place for safaris, but is incredibly expensive. I suggest you look at Expert Africa's website. I recommend the areas of South Luangwa and Lower Zambezi in Zambia. Ron Tear has recently come back from Zambia too. Although I've never been to Kenya, I think it is a lot more touristy and you will be in jeeps with a lot of people. Our experience is that in Zambia you can sometimes be the only couple in the jeep. The time of year depends on the area you choose - Africa is a large place. Hope this helps. I have a few images from Zambia on here - they're not brilliant, but I took them a few years ago before I really got into photography. Good luck.... it's a magic place!
Ann

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:51 PM

Quote: It looks like I need to win lottery first

I guess we assumed you already knew that Wink

Coleslaw
18 Feb 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks Ann.
Well, I didn't know I need to win THAT big....LOL....

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41033 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England134 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:54 PM

The dry season is generally regarded as the best time to go for the animals when they are more concentrated around the waterholes.

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:54 PM

We're also planning to go to Namibia in 2014 - it is the place for photographers evidently. Not only wildlife but landscapes.
Ann

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 12:56 PM

Try a Googling "Backpacking Safaris" Cole, this can keep the costs down, providing you don't mind slumming it a little. I know a couple who did this in Tanzania a few years ago and saved a fortune, though you better invest in a pair of Nike running shoes just in case a lion takes a fancy to taking a chunk out yer arse! Tongue

Coleslaw
18 Feb 2013 - 1:02 PM

This is not bad price considering what I have seen in the last hour

puertouk
puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 2:09 PM

Just make sure you're sat next to the guy with the gun. Wink

Ade_Osman
18 Feb 2013 - 2:35 PM

Quote: Just make sure you're sat next to the guy with the gun.

Or you can run faster than the guy next to you!.......Take me, being the sad old cripple that I am, you could take me as bait!!!GrinGrinGrin

stevew10000
stevew10000 e2 Member 258 forum postsstevew10000 vcard United Kingdom
18 Feb 2013 - 2:48 PM

Also recommend Zambia. Had the good fortune to work there for a couple of months a few years back. Able to book safari in country, which as a nominal resident cost about half the price as a non resident. My wife joined me for my last 2 weeks.

Spent time in South Luanga and Victoria Falls. We went in mid November, which is the start of the rainy season. I had no choice due to work, but would go again at that time. Very quiet. Less foliage to obscure view, and the absence of water, until it rains for a while, causes wildlife to congregate around a much smaller number of watering holes and rivers/streams.

Guides in Zambia very well trained.

Best part is the walking safari. We spent several days in a camp in middle of the bush. Walking out in the early hours as sun comes up with scout and guides tracking is magical. However don't always expect to see the big 5. The little stuff is just as interesting.

Livingstone has a game park, but many more people there, all coming to Victoria Falls, but river cruises well worth the time for bird life, hippos and crocs.

Hazelmouse
18 Feb 2013 - 5:50 PM

I would also recommend Zambia just at the start of the rainy season. Only seeing the people from the group I was with, sitting watchind a Leopard so close I had to changes lenses,going on night drives, Elephant outside the bedroom window...

I agree too on the standard of the guiding and have friends who loved the walking safari they did.

Namibia is also great - desert landscapes and wildlife.

I meant to go back to Africa this year but somehow got diverted back to Canada!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.