Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Wildlife Safari - Africa

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Feb 2013 12:05PM
Hi peeps,
I am after some advice from people who have been on wildlife safari before, as I am interested in going for one.
Where is the best place to go, which country? How to do it? Who did you go with? How much would it cost? When is the best time to go? Etc etc.
Many thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Feb 2013 12:33PM
My best advice Cole is to buy a copy of the BBC Wildlife magazine or visit their website http://www.discoverwildlife.com/ because if it's Africa your toying with, different countries offer different wildlife. If it's the big five you want obviously Kenya could be your starting point, however if it were me I'd plump for Botswana. In the back of that magazine all the tour operators advertise their tours and offer different tours for different wildlife species, some for the big five, other for birds, insects and other obscurities, it all depends on what you want to shoot. Namibia I hear is really good, but can't comment as I've not been there.
In the magazine though you can find tour operators to anywhere in the world, it's well worth a look as you might find something different to the norm, were currently looking at an insect safari in the South American Rain Forests, but as you know that's my bag Tongue
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
18 Feb 2013 12:47PM
I bumped into the people that run yoursafari in our local camera shop a few months ago.

No knowledge of the Company / Tours they run but maybe worth taking a browse around their website.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Feb 2013 12:48PM
Cheers both.
It looks like I need to win lottery first..... SadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSad
AnnChown e2
5 192 1 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2013 12:50PM
I've been to Zambia twice and my husband and I are going back again this year. We booked through a company called Expert Africa - not cheap but they know their stuff. Botswana is generally thought to be the best place for safaris, but is incredibly expensive. I suggest you look at Expert Africa's website. I recommend the areas of South Luangwa and Lower Zambezi in Zambia. Ron Tear has recently come back from Zambia too. Although I've never been to Kenya, I think it is a lot more touristy and you will be in jeeps with a lot of people. Our experience is that in Zambia you can sometimes be the only couple in the jeep. The time of year depends on the area you choose - Africa is a large place. Hope this helps. I have a few images from Zambia on here - they're not brilliant, but I took them a few years ago before I really got into photography. Good luck.... it's a magic place!
Ann
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
18 Feb 2013 12:51PM

Quote:It looks like I need to win lottery first

I guess we assumed you already knew that Wink
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Feb 2013 12:53PM
Thanks Ann.
Well, I didn't know I need to win THAT big....LOL....
WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 137 England
18 Feb 2013 12:54PM
The dry season is generally regarded as the best time to go for the animals when they are more concentrated around the waterholes.
AnnChown e2
5 192 1 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2013 12:54PM
We're also planning to go to Namibia in 2014 - it is the place for photographers evidently. Not only wildlife but landscapes.
Ann
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Feb 2013 12:56PM
Try a Googling "Backpacking Safaris" Cole, this can keep the costs down, providing you don't mind slumming it a little. I know a couple who did this in Tanzania a few years ago and saved a fortune, though you better invest in a pair of Nike running shoes just in case a lion takes a fancy to taking a chunk out yer arse! Tongue
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Feb 2013 1:02PM
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2013 2:09PM
Just make sure you're sat next to the guy with the gun. Wink
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Feb 2013 2:35PM

Quote:Just make sure you're sat next to the guy with the gun.

Or you can run faster than the guy next to you!.......Take me, being the sad old cripple that I am, you could take me as bait!!!GrinGrinGrin
18 Feb 2013 2:48PM
Also recommend Zambia. Had the good fortune to work there for a couple of months a few years back. Able to book safari in country, which as a nominal resident cost about half the price as a non resident. My wife joined me for my last 2 weeks.

Spent time in South Luanga and Victoria Falls. We went in mid November, which is the start of the rainy season. I had no choice due to work, but would go again at that time. Very quiet. Less foliage to obscure view, and the absence of water, until it rains for a while, causes wildlife to congregate around a much smaller number of watering holes and rivers/streams.

Guides in Zambia very well trained.

Best part is the walking safari. We spent several days in a camp in middle of the bush. Walking out in the early hours as sun comes up with scout and guides tracking is magical. However don't always expect to see the big 5. The little stuff is just as interesting.

Livingstone has a game park, but many more people there, all coming to Victoria Falls, but river cruises well worth the time for bird life, hippos and crocs.
18 Feb 2013 5:50PM
I would also recommend Zambia just at the start of the rainy season. Only seeing the people from the group I was with, sitting watchind a Leopard so close I had to changes lenses,going on night drives, Elephant outside the bedroom window...

I agree too on the standard of the guiding and have friends who loved the walking safari they did.

Namibia is also great - desert landscapes and wildlife.

I meant to go back to Africa this year but somehow got diverted back to Canada!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.