Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Will a 35mm lense work on my dSLR?

turnover81 2 13 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 9:28AM
Looking on eBay and was wondering if any of the 35mm slr lenses would fit my EOS400d?

If so what lenses would I need for them to fit?

Cheers guys and girls Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 9:34AM
If the lenses are Canon FD mount then they will not fit.
Any Canon EOS lens will fit on your 400D - for Canon lenses this means you can use both EF and EF-S lenses. Similarly you can use any third-party EOS-fit lenses.
turnover81 2 13 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 9:43AM
Even if they are for a 35mm SLR?
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 9:48AM
for a 35mm slr is irellevent, The fitting as pointed out above is more importent, If the lens is ef or efs then Yes it will fit, with 3rd party lenses like sigma sometime they need rechipping if they are old but that cost is not exspensive
RoyBoy 10 173 2 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 11:26AM
Simon

I think you maybe confusing the term "35mm". So far as a camera body is concerned the term "35mm" traditionally related to the size of the film used, namely 35mm film. You also had bodies that we termed "medium format, large format, etc". In digital terms the term 35mm bodies distingish themselves from other camera body types. Body types and lens focal lengths are two different things.

The lenses that fit onto a 35mm camera body can be any focal length including 35mm, 50mm, 100mm, 70-200mm, etc, etc). The important thing is that of camera mount type and compatability issues, all as mentioned above.

I hope this helps
Roy
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 11:41AM
As good an answer to that is this one
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 12:08PM
I hate the phrase 'digital only lens' because it is meaningless at best and misleading at worst, and that article does nothing to help. As an example: "...for digital cameras this 'normal' focal length is about 32mm".
I suspect this was written when nearly all digital cameras were APS-C and 35mm sensors were only just making their entrance but nowadays that is not the case - you have to read that artricle very carefully to avoid confusion.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Jul 2012 12:13PM
Hi Simon. Very simply...............

If the lens is designated "EF" or "EF-S" it will be absolutely fine for your Canon 400D

If it is designated "FD" it will not fit.

Hope that helps. Smile
MikeA 10 1.2k England
13 Jul 2012 3:11PM

Quote:If the lenses are Canon FD mount then they will not fit.
Any ...... lenses.

Strange.... I use FD's on my 5D.....adapter.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Jul 2012 3:39PM
Ok, it will not fit without an adapter........... and don't expect to get autofocus! Grin
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Jul 2012 7:12PM
Canon made a huge mistake when they switched from FD mount to the EOS mount when AF became the vogue. Nikon got it right by retaining their mount. All Canon dSLRs are later than that switch so you are somewhat limited in what 35mm lenses you can use. As mentioned above, any lens designed for EOS 35mm cameras will be OK.
Niknut e2
4 733 64 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 8:16PM
I have 5 EOS lenses from the 'film' era, & every one works perfectly on my digital EOS slr's.......go for it !!!!
mediaman 5 12 Scotland
13 Jul 2012 9:34PM

Quote:Canon made a huge mistake when they switched from FD mount to the EOS mount when AF became the vogue. Nikon got it right by retaining their mount. All Canon dSLRs are later than that switch so you are somewhat limited in what 35mm lenses you can use. As mentioned above, any lens designed for EOS 35mm cameras will be OK.

One of the reasons why I have liked, and still use my Nikon lenses.....within the last 40 odd years,Pentax Canon Minolta and Olympus have all changed their mounts....so original lenses for their cameras will not fit the current range of bodies. [I think you can use adapters tho...within certain limitations]
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Jul 2012 10:17PM
I think we are all going to have to get used to more frequent changes of lens mounts - and,correspondingly, greater use of adaptors. Otherwise lens mount technology may hold back other developments.

Most using M4/3, and other mirrorless, cameras think nothing of using a (usually) slim lightweight adaptor to fit all manner of lenses - some quite ancient. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.