Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Will a 35mm lense work on my dSLR?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    turnover81
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:28 AM

Looking on eBay and was wondering if any of the 35mm slr lenses would fit my EOS400d?

If so what lenses would I need for them to fit?

Cheers guys and girls Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:34 AM

If the lenses are Canon FD mount then they will not fit.
    Any Canon EOS lens will fit on your 400D - for Canon lenses this means you can use both EF and EF-S lenses. Similarly you can use any third-party EOS-fit lenses.

turnover81
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:43 AM

Even if they are for a 35mm SLR?

KevSB
    KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:48 AM

for a 35mm slr is irellevent, The fitting as pointed out above is more importent, If the lens is ef or efs then Yes it will fit, with 3rd party lenses like sigma sometime they need rechipping if they are old but that cost is not exspensive

RoyBoy
    RoyBoy  9162 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 11:26 AM

Simon

I think you maybe confusing the term "35mm". So far as a camera body is concerned the term "35mm" traditionally related to the size of the film used, namely 35mm film. You also had bodies that we termed "medium format, large format, etc". In digital terms the term 35mm bodies distingish themselves from other camera body types. Body types and lens focal lengths are two different things.

The lenses that fit onto a 35mm camera body can be any focal length including 35mm, 50mm, 100mm, 70-200mm, etc, etc). The important thing is that of camera mount type and compatability issues, all as mentioned above.

I hope this helps
    Roy

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 11:41 AM

As good an answer to that is this one

mikehit
    mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 12:08 PM

I hate the phrase 'digital only lens' because it is meaningless at best and misleading at worst, and that article does nothing to help. As an example: "...for digital cameras this 'normal' focal length is about 32mm".
    I suspect this was written when nearly all digital cameras were APS-C and 35mm sensors were only just making their entrance but nowadays that is not the case - you have to read that artricle very carefully to avoid confusion.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hi Simon. Very simply...............

If the lens is designated "EF" or "EF-S" it will be absolutely fine for your Canon 400D

If it is designated "FD" it will not fit.

Hope that helps. Smile

MikeA
    MikeA  91147 forum posts England
    13 Jul 2012 - 3:11 PM

Quote: If the lenses are Canon FD mount then they will not fit.
    Any ...... lenses.

Strange.... I use FD's on my 5D.....adapter.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 3:39 PM

Ok, it will not fit without an adapter........... and don't expect to get autofocus! Grin

User_Removed
    13 Jul 2012 - 7:12 PM

Canon made a huge mistake when they switched from FD mount to the EOS mount when AF became the vogue. Nikon got it right by retaining their mount. All Canon dSLRs are later than that switch so you are somewhat limited in what 35mm lenses you can use. As mentioned above, any lens designed for EOS 35mm cameras will be OK.

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4492 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 8:16 PM

I have 5 EOS lenses from the 'film' era, & every one works perfectly on my digital EOS slr's.......go for it !!!!

mediaman
    mediaman  4 Scotland
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:34 PM

Quote: Canon made a huge mistake when they switched from FD mount to the EOS mount when AF became the vogue. Nikon got it right by retaining their mount. All Canon dSLRs are later than that switch so you are somewhat limited in what 35mm lenses you can use. As mentioned above, any lens designed for EOS 35mm cameras will be OK.

One of the reasons why I have liked, and still use my Nikon lenses.....within the last 40 odd years,Pentax Canon Minolta and Olympus have all changed their mounts....so original lenses for their cameras will not fit the current range of bodies. [I think you can use adapters tho...within certain limitations]

Carabosse
    13 Jul 2012 - 10:17 PM

I think we are all going to have to get used to more frequent changes of lens mounts - and,correspondingly, greater use of adaptors. Otherwise lens mount technology may hold back other developments.

Most using M4/3, and other mirrorless, cameras think nothing of using a (usually) slim lightweight adaptor to fit all manner of lenses - some quite ancient. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.