Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 2

Will Public Buzz change ePz's Forum?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Overread
Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2012 - 10:46 PM

Quote: The forums died with the advent of groups for my money, as i suspected they would. They are nowhere near as busy as they used to be when i first joined this site. If the buzz thing is another nail in the coffin there is little here to keep my attention

But the groups work through the forums. Heck new group posts appear under new forum activity any way (which is mostly what I check when I log in to EPZ forums). So aside from a 5second (auto done) group sign up if you want to join in its really not affected forum life that much.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2012 - 10:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
lawbert  71639 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2012 - 10:51 PM

Quote: I am happy to say I haven't a clue what this is about. Smile

EchoWink

Echo...sounder...target located.....Kill EpzTongue

User_Removed
10 Mar 2012 - 11:12 PM

I haven't a clue what it is either but with all due respect Mr. Burleson, it's all a bit.....well...........American, if you ask me.
POTW winners will be getting a two gallon tub of popcorn next. Wink

Let's keep it real..................................................man!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 10 Mar 2012 - 11:14 PM
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2012 - 11:42 PM

the plus side for the forums is that you can decide what you want to get involved with. If every topic came via a public buzz I would soon turn it off. Great for one off notifications but I don't see it replacing the forums.

ams99
ams99 Junior Member 265 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 12:22 AM

Can someone answer please. What is this Buzz that everyone is talking about?

Can't be that good then!!!!

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 12:39 AM

I'm nearly sure you seem to be determined that it will, for whatever reason I don't know. As far as I can work out anyone can post a message to everyone asking a question - and then a discussion will follow. Some will be intersted, some won't. if it catches on, then say fifty people a week decide to add a public message. Some of there are arcane and technical, some vaguley accessible and with wide popularity, and several banale and timewasting.

Now you either set your profile to view the public buzz or not. If you want to view it, then you'll be inundated with every kind of stuff that you have to wade through and filter out. Is there a filter for categories?

if you set it to not see it, then you won't see it.

So, it seems it's like the forums as they are now, but with less categorisation, and thrown in your face,

In answer to your question
Quote: Will Public Buzz change ePz's Forum?

my answer is - possibly yes...

and that is a good thing because????

Stephen

Snapper
Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 1:51 AM

Not sure if this is an age thing or not, but there seems to be a belief that (anti)social media is the way forward and that we're all on Facebook, Twitter and now Buzz, plus whatever else may be on the go. Absolutely no problems with these being offered as options for those who want them, but a very poor choice if members are forced into going down that road. Sad

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 7:50 AM

Quote: 'Will public buzz replace the ePz forum?'

err, No! not unless you are the sort of person who likes shouting a conversion to people passing on a motorway. A public Buzz just disappears down the feed so fast that even if you do respond to it your never likely to see it again.

I really find the new Buzz is one massive missed opportunity, I've tried really hard to make it work but at the end of the day the concentration on making it a social feed means it is completely useless to me. I don't begin to see what the design goals or user stories were for it apart from "lets do social media".
It is so frustrating, it could be useful but the implementation seemed to have goals that were at odds with the way people actually use the site. The only thing it seems aimed at doing is increasing the size of the click cliques on the site.

Seriously has anyone ever asked for the ability to see immediately when a friend has clicked on another picture?

I would much rather have the buzz feed system to have separate feeds which show me:
* When contacts have uploaded.
* When new topics are created in the forum
* When news items are added
* When an HC/EC is awarded

Then the Buzz feed would flatten the site bringing everything that is happening around the site into one place.

I really don't want to be negative but the whole thing saddens me.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Mar 2012 - 7:52 AM

By public Buzz I am guessing we are talking about the “All” option no the “My” option. It would help if the menu in Buzz said Public – unless I am looking in the wrong place.

I don’t think it can work as well as the forums. I can see how discussions can take place on it (they do on Facebook in the same format) but I am not sure how I would find those discussions. It does appear that the public buzz would be like a Facebook wall and all EPZers would be “friends”, able to post and reply to posts. If this is the case we might as well use Facebook as the EPZ forum. I think items will get lost very quickly. If you use Facebook you will know how fast stuff that people post disappears. Miss a few days and it’s lost for ever.

I know Pete has rightly said, many times, that EPZ is not trying to be Facebook and I believe him. So keep the forums and spend the energy in developing Buzz on getting people back into the forums.

The forums are definitely quieter now than a couple of years ago.

I don’t mind Buzz but don’t think I will use it. I’ve only looked at it when forum topics are talking about it.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 7:56 AM

Quote: By public Buzz I am guessing we are talking about the “All” option no the “My” option. It would help if the menu in Buzz said Public – unless I am looking in the wrong place.

On All if you start adding a comment there you have an option appears at the bottom of who to send it to. If you leave that at "public" it becomes a "public buzz" (I think).

779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Mar 2012 - 7:57 AM

Lobterboy has some good ideas there about buzz.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 7:57 AM

Quote: One thing I have noticed from a personal experience is that the new buzz has quickly replaced any need for email notifications.

I like email notifications. Less faffing about looking for stuff - you go straight there.

Quote: A public Buzz just disappears down the feed so fast that even if you do respond to it you .................. The plus side for the forums is that you can decide what you want to get involved with. If every topic came via a public buzz I would soon turn it off. Great for one off notifications but I don't see it replacing the forums never likely to see it again.

Totally agree.

BTW, it'd be so useful if the latest additions to the Buzz could appear at the top of the expanded list. It'd save such a lot of scrolling time and we'd be able to see more easily where to start reading from. I can't keep track of the last message I read any more.
Smile

lobsterboy
11 Mar 2012 - 8:12 AM

Quote: BTW, it'd be so useful if the latest additions to the Buzz could appear at the top of the expanded list.

Latest stuff does appear at the top.

Or do you mean when you expand a forum topic in buzz ?

Jaydee007
Jaydee007  534 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 8:30 AM

Quote: Lol, some very obvious answers. One thing I have noticed from a personal experience is that the new buzz has quickly replaced any need for email notifications.

I hope not I enjoy receiving email notifications and monitoring who thinks what about my posts

lobsterboy
11 Mar 2012 - 8:36 AM

Quote: monitoring who thinks what about my posts

In theory that is all in your Buzz feed...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.