Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Will the camera phone eclipse all other types of camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2011 - 10:16 PM

Will the camera phone eclipse all other types of camera.... including DSLRs, M4/3, compacts etc.

Not in terms of quality - of course not! But in terms of importance, even on a global scale. There have been a number of articles on this topic recently - here is an example.

What do you think? Smile

Oh and on a lighter note you can now even get a telephoto lens for your iPhone! Grin

iphone-telephoto-lens.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Feb 2011 - 10:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2011 - 10:33 PM

Probably. The box brownie of the 21st century.

MrGoatsmilk
1 Mar 2011 - 8:56 AM

Or will cameras have phones fitted

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 9:23 AM

Quote: Not in terms of quality - of course not!

Why not?

I would have a small wager the camera phone camera in 20 years time will be as good as the top pro cameras now. Just look at the PC the iPhone etc is far better, faster, more storage, etc etc than a top of the range PC from 20 years ago. It wasn't that long ago that my desktop PC had a whopping 1.2GB!!

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 9:35 AM

Quote: Why not?

Only if someone can get the optics right - storage, sensors and pixels possibly less of a problem.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 9:37 AM

Quote: Only if someone can get the optics right

Which they will - the research being done right now into liquid micro lenses and other optical technologies is bound to find it's way into consumer products.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2011 - 9:45 AM

Yep there is all sorts going on in nano technology (true nano not marketing bul***t) - even things where the lens itself changes shape and dimension.

BadSoulPhotography

Loads of people, myself included, use phone cameras for about anything and everything BUT we know that for professional quality there are much better quality cameras (SLRs for example) out there. Will phone cameras ever rank top of the line quality? Time will tell.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2011 - 2:12 PM

Quote: BUT we know that for professional quality there are much better quality cameras (SLRs for example) out there.

Not quite the point I was trying to make! Small pocketable, and multipurpose, devices can be with you everywhere you go. There is no need to plan to take the device.

Therefore there is a greater chance of capturing images, still and video, which would never have been captured at all.

Quote: I would have a small wager the camera phone camera in 20 years time will be as good as the top pro cameras now

And the top pro cameras (possibly in the form of very high res camcorders) will have moved on too!

keith selmes
5 Mar 2011 - 5:44 PM

It does look as though the mobile phone is morphing into the electronic equivalent of a swiss army knife.
I don't use mine much, but when I do use it is usually to check the time. I don't carry a watch nowadays.
I think I might get a newer model that can work as the mp3 player, pocket camera/camcorder, and check email.

What else can they do ?

(When I first got one it seemed as if its main purpose was comparing other peoples, exchanging phone numbers etc., more of a social function than actually anything useful. )

Carabosse
5 Mar 2011 - 6:13 PM

People under the age of (about) 35 seem utterly dependent on their 'smartphones'.

And then when they lose the phone, their life grinds to a halt! Grin

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2011 - 8:33 PM

But it's the apps that that take preference over the built in camera.

DmacD
DmacD  325 forum posts
5 Mar 2011 - 11:44 PM

If they get the tech right I might be convinced....

stevenmarc
8 Apr 2011 - 12:40 PM

That ship has already sailed. There have been certain significant milestones in making photography easy and accessible to the masses, the Kodak Brownie, Polaroid film and now the camera phone. Will they technically ever be better than a DSLR, probably not, but that doesn't diminish their importance in capturing images that may never have been captured if we had to wait around for the guy with the technically superior camera.

Carabosse
8 Apr 2011 - 1:35 PM

Quote: Will they technically ever be better than a DSLR, probably not, but that doesn't diminish their importance in capturing images that may never have been captured if we had to wait around for the guy with the technically superior camera.

Exactly so! We live in a throwaway society and photography falls into that category too. Very little of imaging today (stills or video) is for posterity. Obsession with quality is relatively uncommon and seen, by the masses, as a bit geeky....... a bit like 'audiophile' hi-fi.

To go back to a line I used when I first joined EPZ, 8 years ago, "When everybody's a photographer, nobody's a photographer". Camera phones have come a long way and are contributing to that shift.

A few years back few would have thought one could have a 12Mp sensor, plus an f2.8 Carl Zeiss branded lens, on a mobile phone! Personally I'm enjoying my new-found freedom carrying just one device around with me at all times; I accept its limitations as a price I have to pay for getting shots I would not otherwise have got.

Quote: But it's the apps that that take preference over the built in camera.

So-called smartphones are apps driven - without a doubt. But the existence of mobile phone cameras that can give acceptable images is making photography an everyday matter whereas is used to be a big deal.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.