Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Will this be OK on my D50

phil_j 8 133 4 England
24 Apr 2009 10:24PM
Please pardon my ignorance.
I am going on an organised photo shoot soon, and will have the chance to use some lenses other than my normal ones.

I will be able to use a Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 G ED and a Nikon AF-S 300mm f4 IF-ED and just wanted to check that my trusty old D50 would be able to accept these.

Again pardon my ignorance.

Thanks

Phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Phil. You should have no problems with these two lenses on your D50. Have a good day out when it comes along.

Richie.
phil_j 8 133 4 England
24 Apr 2009 10:30PM
Thank Richie, I probably sound like a complete idiot for asking, but just wanted to check first!!
26 Apr 2009 10:15PM
Looking at your portfolio you are a long, long way from being a photographic idiot.
The lenses which AF on your D50 have at least 8 electric contacts on the lens bayonet.
Lens with 8 or 10 contacts (called AF-s by Nikon) AF on a D50 with the single exception of the 80-400 VR.
The 2 lenses you mention are AF-s, have 10 contacts and auto focus well.
Older "screwdriver AF" lenses have 3 or 4 AF contacts on the bayonet. They fit the D50 but do not auto focus.
Martin54 e2
8 503 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2009 8:04AM
Correction to Len's comment - "screwdriver AF" lenses will auto focus on the D50 - the D50 does have an auto focus motor built into the body, unlike the later D40 and D60. See the Nikon lens compatibility chart here to check a particular lens.
Martin
phil_j 8 133 4 England
27 Apr 2009 4:07PM
Len/Martin

Thank you both for you help, the chart is a great help.

Phil
bedwell 8 45 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2009 8:28AM
you find like i do this is a very helpfull sight.

mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.