Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Win A High-Speed Samsung Memory Card On ePHOTOzine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Cephus
Cephus  92128 forum posts England
30 Dec 2012 - 9:58 PM

Quote: What's a gaming mouse?!

Click on the link above!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Dec 2012 - 9:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fogey
Fogey  168 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 10:45 PM

All I get is a black screen. Sad

samueldilworth

Something tells me CMUK didn’t really complete the puzzle in zero seconds. Perhaps the scoreboard was hacked.

And I take back my earlier congratulations to mahenderxyz555 for beating my time. If you Google that username you’ll see he’s a professional shyster of some kind, selling 30,000 Twitter followers for a fiver, among other dishonest activities. Since there’s a way to record zero seconds, I’d put money on mahenderxyz555 having used similar skullduggery for his 21-second time (except he had the wit to keep his time plausible).

JHAu, lying in fourth place, also has the classic profile of a spammer or ne’er-do-well, with his tagline “Welcome to the Era of Digital Photography” and a pretty woman’s face as his (for I’m sure it’s a he) profile pic.

It looks like honest competitors are being pushed out by fraudsters. It’s a shame the web is such a cesspit for this kind of thing. I hope the IT crew has a way to tell the honest competitors from the cheaters.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2013 - 1:19 PM

0 second.....brilliant! LOL

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2013 - 3:45 PM

In fact 'mahenderxyz555' appears to run a Facebook account that does remarkably well in those contests that require 'likes' and 'shares' for victory. Recent success in winning a motherboard at Gigabyte India was notable for his gaining more than 200 likes in 6 hours, according to one of his maligned competitors.

If nothing else it opened my eyes to the fact that FB is riddled with false accounts - a little more attention being paid to the 'lead' account(s) for authenticity, but collectively the false accounts are hallmarked by necessary laziness - similar details throughout, recurring themes and profile photos, etc, and no personal photos. JHAu has just such an account - personally I believe that three of the top scorers in the Samsung contest don't even exist as people!

A 20 second time and even fractionally below that is plausible, but extremely unlikely within an hour or two of joining ePhotozine! The fact that the puzzle requires you to memorise the pieces and their required positions sees to that.

Last Modified By GlennH at 3 Jan 2013 - 3:46 PM
bzbee
bzbee  10102 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2013 - 7:07 PM

For the record, i just posted 21 seconds - and honestly, without cheating. I have done the puzzle so frequently that I know it backwards and often just race through it for fun. I must say, the fast times posted over Christmas just raised the bar but I didn't realise some were fictitious until the zero second post and then the score which was entered in the same minute that the 'member' joined epz. Very disappointing. And such a shame. However, sub 20 seconds IS possible. I almost got 19 seconds this afternoon but the last three tiles were out of position.... I know - sad Billy no-mates! I would not normally admit to spending so long at this except for the suggestion that three of the top scorers don't exist! So keep going folks, it is possible to do 20 seconds - I'm decrepit pensioner, so there's hope for everyone... Happy New Year - all good wishes for 2013!!!

GlennH
9 Jan 2013 - 7:40 AM

The Samsung 'Steal a Memory Card' competition is now being lead by a series of fake prize-hoovering accounts, I'd submit, with scores that have either been hacked or crowd-sourced. I exclude Linda in that - the only top-five score that is unquestionable to my mind, although I somehow doubt it'll last with the current influx of nimble-fingered new members. Initially this was a fun game, but now I'm given cause to regret my addictive personality!

samueldilworth

I lost interest when that decrepit pensioner beat my time. I can’t manage her 21 seconds despite trying more than is healthy.

The others in the current top-five are fraudsters, alas.

bzbee
bzbee  10102 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 7:44 AM

Sorry to have been a source of discouragement, Samuel. Your excellent score was my inspiration Grin. My first effort took over an hour! However, I went online and watched tutorials to find the secret of success and learned various strategies. Then, practice, a good broadband connection and the fact that I was isolated over Christmas with flu - which I couldn't risk passing it on to my family - provided the opportunity and time.... I notice that other entries tailed off after the demonstrably unreal times were posted. I do feel sorry for everyone, including the epz team whose efforts and enthusiasm were trampled on... Such a shame. Just goes to show how difficult it is to maintain bulletproof websites. Ah well, lessons learned...

GlennH
10 Jan 2013 - 9:08 AM

On one or two occasions I got to the three-quarters stage in less than 20 seconds, which at least showed me those scores were possible if I was willing to put in 18-hour shifts. Even my frivolous use of time doesn't extend quite that far. For anyone to register an account and achieve these scores immediately has no credulity whatsoever. The 'mahenderxyz555' username has a demonstrable history of fraud across the Internet, so that was the first alarm bell. Then dele_g seemed to pop up with an opening score of 20-something seconds, which was some going I thought. Eventually it became obvious that any legitimate score would be crowded out.

I'm left wondering how many false accounts exist on ePhotozine (and why haven't they been used for the greater glory of click-votingWink).

Poloman
Poloman  1 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2013 - 10:30 AM

As one of the lucky ones to have got into the top 5 (just scraped in!) I thought I'd pop by and add to the discussion. The game takes the form of a classical 15 puzzle which arose to fame in the 1870s and which can be solved using well established techniques.
In this example one such method might be to map the pieces before the timer begins (hit refresh if the puzzle seems too disordered!) then when happy get an idea of the direction to take and go with it. I found getting the pieces into the correct places in order from the top worked well, things can be simplified by thinking of the solution as moving the hole rather than the pieces per se.
I was slightly disappointed to see some negativity creeping into this thread, especially when the reward is not of an enormous value (though still a very nice prize Grin which would really come in handy Wink ).

GlennH
14 Jan 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well humble apologies to you Poloman. If I have to eat my hat five times I'd be rather glad. I'm aware that it's a classic '15 puzzle', albeit without the immediate assistance of the actual numbers.

Negativity crept in when a dubious username cropped up with a shady web history, followed by two presumably hacked zero-second scores. I'd still be surprised if all five scores are genuine, but either way I think it better that I STFU about it and move on!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2013 - 11:51 AM

I got a score of just over 3mins and I thought I was doing well. You guys are fast!!!!

GlennH
14 Jan 2013 - 12:07 PM

Quote: I got a score of just over 3mins and I thought I was doing well. You guys are fast!!!!

Three minutes is very fast if you do it randomly! Smile

To do it quickly you need to first, as Poloman suggests, keep refreshing until you get a favourable starting position (I routinely did the puzzle top to bottom, left to right). Rarely you might get most of the first line in place, although personally I found it no guarantee of success! Regardless, quick times come from doing the puzzle in regimental fashion.

You can move any piece into position by 'rotating' the surrounding pieces, but a really fast score tends to come from first aligning the tiles into order and then snaking them into position (especially at the middle of the board). If the final pieces need to be rotated, which is often the case, a very fast score goes out of the window.

Poloman
Poloman  1 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2013 - 1:00 PM

Quote: Well humble apologies to you Poloman.

No need to apologise GlennH - I hadn't seen the 0 second scores so never questioned the scoreboard.

Quote: I got a score of just over 3mins and I thought I was doing well. You guys are fast!!!!

3mins on a quick game is fantastic! Much better than me with all my arrows everywhere and staring at the screen!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.