Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Winchester & Marwell

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    nobby2sheds
    11 Oct 2009 - 9:40 AM

I'll be in Winchester for a long weekend soon, any suggestions for good photography locations? A day at Marwell is already planned as is a visit to Winchester cathedral.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Oct 2009 - 9:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2009 - 9:47 AM

There's lots to photograph in and around Winchester. Just a few quick ideas:

The Water Meadows adjacent to Winchester College offer some attractive wetland scenery as well as some wildlife opportunities. St. Cross, a little way out of town to the south, is also worth a visit. A classic shot is the view over the town from St. Giles Hill and to the east is the ever-popular St. Catherine's Hill. Also worth a visit is Farley Mount, between Winchester and King's Worthy....

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    redstag
    redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2009 - 11:16 AM

Don't miss the crypt in the Cathedral- especially if it is wet.
    You aren't too far from Salisbury if you fancy making it a Cathedral weekend.
    Jon

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    11 Oct 2009 - 3:44 PM

Hi...being so close and considering your interests, it'd be a shame to miss the HCT.
    This place comes highly reccomended but unfortunately on the day I visited as part of a 700 mile trip the weather was apalling and I did find that much of the action was too far away for my 70-200 lens but like I said...so close.

If it's the HCT or Marwell...go for the HCT.

....Mike

Last Modified By MikeRC at 11 Oct 2009 - 3:47 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    saxon_image
    11 Oct 2009 - 4:22 PM

Joolsb makes the obvious suggestions and the ones I would go for - but Farley Mount is west of Winchester! I would add the Hillier Arboretum at near Ampfield as one not to miss on a fine day - acers etc. Manor Farm in the Upper Hamble Country Park is another - a Victorian farmhouse and farmyard. Last time I went to Marwell the place did seem rather run down and it's difficult to get shots of the big cats, though the leopard enclosure offers close-ups, albeit through glass. HCT (Hawk Conservancy) near Weyhill (off A303) is about 40 minutes from Winchester. In Winchester itself walk beyond the cathedral and try the streets around the College as well.

Paul

nobby2sheds
    13 Oct 2009 - 6:29 PM

Thanks for your advice.

Paul

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.