Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Winchester & Marwell

11 Oct 2009 9:40AM
I'll be in Winchester for a long weekend soon, any suggestions for good photography locations? A day at Marwell is already planned as is a visit to Winchester cathedral.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
11 Oct 2009 9:47AM
There's lots to photograph in and around Winchester. Just a few quick ideas:

The Water Meadows adjacent to Winchester College offer some attractive wetland scenery as well as some wildlife opportunities. St. Cross, a little way out of town to the south, is also worth a visit. A classic shot is the view over the town from St. Giles Hill and to the east is the ever-popular St. Catherine's Hill. Also worth a visit is Farley Mount, between Winchester and King's Worthy....
redstag e2
9 100 14 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2009 11:16AM
Don't miss the crypt in the Cathedral- especially if it is wet.
You aren't too far from Salisbury if you fancy making it a Cathedral weekend.
Jon
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
11 Oct 2009 3:44PM
Hi...being so close and considering your interests, it'd be a shame to miss the HCT.
This place comes highly reccomended but unfortunately on the day I visited as part of a 700 mile trip the weather was apalling and I did find that much of the action was too far away for my 70-200 lens but like I said...so close.

If it's the HCT or Marwell...go for the HCT.

....Mike
saxon_image 10 282 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2009 4:22PM
Joolsb makes the obvious suggestions and the ones I would go for - but Farley Mount is west of Winchester! I would add the Hillier Arboretum at near Ampfield as one not to miss on a fine day - acers etc. Manor Farm in the Upper Hamble Country Park is another - a Victorian farmhouse and farmyard. Last time I went to Marwell the place did seem rather run down and it's difficult to get shots of the big cats, though the leopard enclosure offers close-ups, albeit through glass. HCT (Hawk Conservancy) near Weyhill (off A303) is about 40 minutes from Winchester. In Winchester itself walk beyond the cathedral and try the streets around the College as well.

Paul
13 Oct 2009 6:29PM
Thanks for your advice.

Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.