Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Window 8.1 WIndows Blue

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
LesleyJ
LesleyJ e2 Member 7141 forum postsLesleyJ vcard England
8 May 2013 - 9:53 PM

Been announced that Major update to windows 8 will be released in June. It will be called windows blue. Doesn't look like they are giving much away but speculation about start screen/buttons etc.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22446754 Might be more tempted to upgrade if you can switch of some of the more touch orientated features.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 May 2013 - 9:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111878 forum posts United Kingdom
8 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Windows 8 appears to have flummoxed so many people, it seems as if Microsoft overestimated the adaptability and intelligences of the average Windows user.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

Quote: Might be more tempted to upgrade if you can switch of some of the more touch orientated features.

You can switch off/ignore all of the touch orientated features now.

LesleyJ
8 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Don't think its the adaptability and intelligence of windows users but windows 8 start screen is so touch orientated that I think it just put users off. I love windows 7 and didn't change purely because I don't have a touch screen on my pc and that would just bug me. Waiting to see what the update brings.

LesleyJ
8 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Quote: Might be more tempted to upgrade if you can switch of some of the more touch orientated features.
You can switch off/ignore all of the touch orientated features now.

Really will be checking it out them - might pop down currys to have a play on one of their laptops

paulcookphotography

Quote: Windows 8 appears to have flummoxed so many people, it seems as if Microsoft overestimated the adaptability and intelligences of the average Windows user.

Possibly the same folk who stand with a confused expression at automatic doors while looking for the handle

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82202 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom119 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2013 - 8:07 AM

I have never found a Windows less counter intuitive, user unfriendly and down right confusing as I have with windows 8. E.g. The other day I wanted to install a Kindle app - first I thought I'd try the windows app store, but I gave up after not being abe to find a search option. I was also frustrate at the time this took to load - oh and guess what - there is no obvious way to close the app store down. Next I went to amazon, but although you can download kindle for windows 7 or earlier - you apparently need to use windows app store for the windows 8 app. There was a link - great I thought I don't need to search the app store after all. I clicked and when I got to the app store the app failed to download.

I think this version of windows is trying to deliver a touch solution to users who may not want/use touch hardware. I also think they are trying to duplicate some of the features in Apple devices - and falling badly. If I didn't need the PC for a single scientific application (the ONLY software i have installed) which isn't available for Mac I'd have thrown it against the wall!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
9 May 2013 - 8:18 AM

There is no obvious way to close down any of the "metro" style apps, but when you figure out how to do it, it's easy. Stupid, but easy. A big X button would have been better.

Big Bri
9 May 2013 - 8:19 AM

Quote: You can switch off/ignore all of the touch orientated features now.

Go on then, tell us..... Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2013 - 8:45 AM

Quote: The other day I wanted to install a Kindle app - first I thought I'd try the windows app store, but I gave up after not being abe to find a search option.

Just type. You can go to the start menu type "kindle" and click on store and it will take you there , or you can open the store type "kindle" and it will show you a list of mapping apps.

Quote: There is no obvious way to close down any of the "metro" style apps, but when you figure out how to do it, it's easy. Stupid, but easy. A big X button would have been better.

Yeah, though I think a 5 minute intro video would help people get to grips much quicker.

Quote: Go on then, tell us....

click on desktop, pin all your most used apps to the start bar and its exactly like using 7

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 9 May 2013 - 8:45 AM
Big Bri
9 May 2013 - 8:50 AM

Quote: click on desktop, pin all your most used apps to the start bar and its exactly like using 7

ah. Did that already Smile No start menu though, for those apps you can't fit on the taskbar.

lobsterboy
9 May 2013 - 8:53 AM

Quote: No start menu though, for those apps you can't fit on the taskbar.

Pop up the start screen it is one giant start menu. What is it that you feel your missing ?

Big Bri
9 May 2013 - 9:54 AM

I don't, I'm actually used to it now. I have my metro screen laid out with everything useful in groups, and I have my desktop set up as I like it. Just wondered how far back to Win7 it was possible to go.

lobsterboy
9 May 2013 - 9:58 AM

Well you can install a start menu and then it is almost identical. I've never really felt the need though as i don't use the start menu in 7 or 8 Smile

LesleyJ
9 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Can I ask if you are using windows 8 with a touch screen. I was going to upgrade when it came out but some many of the reviews werent good when it came to no touch devices that I didn't. Also love windows 7 so didnt want to upgrade then regret it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.