Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Window 8.1 WIndows Blue

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
9 May 2013 11:29AM
I don't use a touch screen. They're fine for tablets, phones and kiosks, but when I'm at my desk I like a keyboard and mouse.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 1:00PM
I use windows 8 without a touch screen at home and Win7 before that.
Windows 8 is fine when you get to know it but it also makes you realise that its just an OS, a gateway to the apps you really want.
"Knowing the OS" seems to be a process of finding all the hidden controls that show you the further details you might want.
At the point and click metro button level its simple. At the more advanced level its more obscure.

It does boot faster and having done the upgrade from 7 to 8 i think it was worth it. If 8.1 just exposes the controls a bit more i'd love it.

Closing an app by grabbing the top of the screen and throwing it out the bottom seems overly messy for a PC screen's size; Its would be OK as a phone gesture though as the screen is smaller but its not a control on my win 8 phone.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 May 2013 4:35PM
Win 8 is Ok.....!!!

When you add a little something extra.

Then it looks even better....Grin

Quote:They're fine for tablets, phones and kiosks, but when I'm at my desk I like a keyboard and mouse

Absolutely, The very idea of accurate detailed image processing on a 30" inch desktop display is ludicrous, Even a 24" screen will be at arms length on most desks, I get the idea that the numpties behind the " Lets Take Choice Away " move, Had some dumb idea that desktop displays where going to be used in exactly that fashion.....Flat on the desktop, Like some giant tablet, Where we would all become gesture making, Touch, Pinch, Swipe crazed loo loos.....!!!!!!!!!

Rock on, New gadget, Lets dump our 1000 squid displays and get some cheapo touchscreens, Oh! Excuse me Mrs, While I clone out this coffee cup stain your wearing, LOL...Smile Thought it was a halo actually....Grin Yeah! Great idea, So Apart from the odd bod, What corporation is going to willingly shell out millions on new IT kit, Just so their staff can play touchy feely....Smile

Microsoft perhaps.....Wink

Not that I have anything against the Way Win 8 actually works, Coz truth is its pretty slick, But do not be fooled by that seriously fast boot time, All they have done is get the desktop on screen a good bit faster, The OS is still setting up shop in the background, Long after the desktop appears ( So no quicker than Win 7 in reality ) LOL....Grin It is just an optical illusion, Or is that a " Binary Illusion "......Wink

Windows Blue 8.1 update, Just addresses all the things that should have been there in the first place.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
9 May 2013 6:06PM
It's a total myth that you need a touch display to use Windows 8, just the realisation that Windows 8 is two OS's in one. You can switch between the two with one click (although some folk are still confused by this). I hope Microsoft don't pander to the dummies guide readers dumb down Windows 8 by by adding a start menu.

Windows 8 probably works better with keyboard and mouse than it does with a touch screen for example you can use hot keys and map additional mouse buttons to do useful things like switch between the two desktop environments and speed up accessing settings.

It seems Microsoft have also underestimated the ability of folk to read manuals and use tutorials.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 6:21PM

Quote:Win 8 is Ok.....!!!
When you add a little something extra.
Then it looks even better....Grin

Seriously, why do people like the start menu? What does it make easier ?
9 May 2013 6:21PM

Quote:It seems Microsoft have also underestimated the ability of folk to read manuals and use tutorials.

Well I never realised you could
Quote:[grab] the top of the screen and [throw] it out the bottom

But then, I'm busy, I bought a new laptop because I need to work, and I don't have time to read a manual...
lobsterboy e2
9 May 2013 6:30PM
I don't think Windows 8 comes with a manual anyway...
9 May 2013 6:37PM
I remember my delight when discovering on Windows 7 that is I grabbed the title bar of an app and "shook" it, all other windows minimised... Smile wonder what delights 8 still has in store for me to find....
9 May 2013 6:40PM
I just find it amazing that so many people complain about how hard W8 is to us and how much they need a start button, but are perfectly happy using an iPad (no start button), Android-based tablet device (no start button), or their smartphone (again, no start button). What is it about Windows that makes it impossible to use without one?

Or is it just change thats the problem?
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
9 May 2013 7:00PM

Quote:I don't think Windows 8 comes with a manual anyway...
F1
lobsterboy e2
9 May 2013 7:15PM

Quote:F1

Doesn't work on the start screen which makes it a bit pointless & totally unintuative.
9 May 2013 7:20PM

Quote: so many people complain about how hard W8 is to us and how much they need a start button

which people are they then?
9 May 2013 7:22PM

Quote:
which people are they then?

The ones who complained enough and caused Microsoft to do a redesign in the GUI
9 May 2013 7:33PM
Did people complain? I thought people just stopped buying it.
9 May 2013 7:52PM
According to some press, yes. Microsoft have also stated that they have listened to the feedback and adapted their OS to meet the demands. Windows Blue (or Windows 8.1) is really just an update of Windows 8, and not a new OS, although the new name is a ploy to move away from the negativity surrounding the current version

Although the 'slump in sales of PCs' is just as absurd really. So people are not buying new computers running Windows 8 because they find it confusing. It takes very little time to get used to the new interface, so i dont see what the issue is there. Especially as sales of smartphones and tablet devices are booming (without start menu buttons)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.