Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Window 8.1 WIndows Blue

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9357 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
9 May 2013 - 7:54 PM

Windows 7 to Windows 8 is like replacing the steering wheel on every new car with a stick and asking people to get in and drive it as they did before. Can you imagine the number of accidents there would be? Millions of people have been using the old Windows format for years with the corresponding monitor, keyboard and mouse. I don't understand why Microsoft should try their best to effectively alienate their core users and make the new OS so radically different.

People of a more mature disposition who may not be as comfortable with technology as the younger generation and have gotten used to the familiar Windows layout probably form a big part of the complainants pf Windows 8. It can take a long time for some to not panic at just the sight of a computer. My Mum took ages to get to grips with Windows XP and my dad is a complete technophobe. Putting Windows 8 in front of them would just send their panic levels sky high ( and cause my ears to frazzle when they come on the phone frantically asking me to help them with it Wink )

If you are at ease with changing technology then Windows 8 poses less of a problem but for millions of people and, as cameracat says, businesses especially who have invested a lot in their PC bases I.T., it is a pain. I understand that, in the future, using touch screens and virtual keyboards may become second nature as a generation who were brought up on them mature and it becomes the "norm" but i don't think that is the case at the moment.

Windows 8 may have been a bold step by Microsoft but i think its a step too far.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 May 2013 - 7:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9357 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
9 May 2013 - 8:03 PM

Quote: Although the 'slump in sales of PCs' is just as absurd really. So people are not buying new computers running Windows 8 because they find it confusing. It takes very little time to get used to the new interface, so i dont see what the issue is there. Especially as sales of smartphones and tablet devices are booming (without start menu buttons)

I agree that the slump in sales of PCs is probably due to the rise in popularity of tablets and smartphones and not due to people "finding Windows 8 confusing". The day of the desktop is over. As tablets become cheaper and more powerful and as broadband speeds improve, it will eventually be confined to the realms of history.

But, and its a big but, that day has not yet arrived....although Microsoft seem to think it has.

paulcookphotography

But when you have an 'app' or program running on Windows 8, its just the same as it is in Windows 7 (or before). The only difference being that the apps close differently (but hardly difficult to do).

Like i said before, Windows 8 was like the introduction of the automatic door. We approached it and it was different. Most of us watched what it did and realised how it worked and moved on. Others still seem to be standing outside looking for the door handle and saying they preferred the old heavy doors while watching everyone else just get on with it.

I dont think it was Microsoft's intention to alienate people. I think it was their attempt to move with the current trend. Touchscreen is very popular at the moment, at least on the tablet and smartphone market, and these devices all operate in a similar way to each other whether they are running iOS, Android or Windows. Microsoft took the decision to incorporate a similar version into a desktop/laptop OS so that people who did not want to replace their hardware with touchscreen could still run the same OS as those who have bought new products.

If you look at it from the other side: what about those who have only ever used smartphones and tablets and decide to get a PC or laptop (there's plenty of them out there). Do you want to alienate them with a totally different interface?

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014630 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2013 - 8:36 PM

I don't think I would ever buy a new computer just because there's a new operating system. My PC is 3 years old, and it does exactly what I need, so why change? I have a tablet, but have very little use for it, and I've never had a laptop. I'll be a desktop user for a long time yet, if I'm still around.

Jestertheclown

Windows 8 is Windows 7 wearing a new coat.

If you know how to, you can use '8' precisely as you would '7.'

Knowing how to is an incredibly small, extremely simple step.

Unfortunately, many people seem unable to grasp just how small a step and how simple it is to take it.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
9 May 2013 - 9:08 PM

Quote: People of a more mature disposition who may not be as comfortable with technology as the younger generation

I'm in my fifties and have no problems at all using Windows 8, some older people have gotten lazy complacent and don't want anything to change so they don't have to bother using the old grey matter simple.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2013 - 9:34 PM

Quote: My Mum took ages to get to grips with Windows XP and my dad is a complete technophobe. Putting Windows 8 in front of them would just send their panic levels sky high ( and cause my ears to frazzle when they come on the phone frantically asking me to help them with it Wink )

Really??? I don't see why. My wife is a complete technophobe, I got constant ear damage when she got an iPhone (apparently all of Apples design decisions are my fault) and again when she moved to Samsung (apparently all of Androids decisions are my fault). yet when she got a new laptop all I had to do was set it up then say "when it starts up click on Desktop" and she said "oh it's exactly the same as my old one" - no biggie, no drama, sorted.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.