Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 7.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 11:08 AM

In case anyone has not noticed...Smile Microsofts new operating system, Windows 7, Is now available on public realease.

I have tested this in its beta form, Have to say that its probably the best OS, That Microsoft has ever released.

Had my copies on Pre Order, They arrived today care of UPS....Smile

Decided to have a test run, Using an old back-up machine, That had built out of many spare parts, The machine in question is about half the spec, You'd need to run Vista 64 bit......!

Windows 7, Loaded from scratch in under 15 minutes, And despite not having any system drivers what-so-ever, Runs like a dream....!!

Seriously, You could use this machine with the native Windows 7 drivers, No problem....Smile

I'm not that suprised, Because the pre-release RC version was just as good.....Smile

If anyone is in any doubt about an upgrade to Win 7, You would be wise to consider it.

It makes XP look " Stone-Age " It makes Vista look like a big lumbering ole " Caveman " scratching his head....Smile

Straight out of the box, This OS is light years faster, Than any previous Windows OS.....Smile Smile Smile

Even a low spec 5 year old PC will speed up, With Win 7, I know Coz I tried it.....Smile

I run around 7 computers at any one time, They are all going to get the Windows 7 upgrade....A S A P.....Smile

So all you Microsoft bashers out there.....Wink

What this space....!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Oct 2009 - 11:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
22 Oct 2009 - 11:12 AM

Quote: What this space....!

Why?

(Not a Microsoft basher, but I can't see why there's a space or why it needs to be watched)

User_Removed
22 Oct 2009 - 11:15 AM

Good to hear this Vince... appreciate the rapid update.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 11:18 AM

Quote: Not a Microsoft basher, but I can't see why

LOL.....Smile

Each to his own....Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 11:20 AM

Something would never change..... it is Windows...Smile

Consulo
Consulo  10763 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 11:27 AM

I shall be downloading and installing later this evening. My brother works for Edinburgh University, so we were able to save loads on the RRP.

riprap007
riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 11:33 AM

mine arrived yesterday... still in it's box though

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 11:54 AM

just had a look at windows 7 ultimate - looks very nice but at 229.99 it will have to wait for awhile as i need to pay back several hundred to the parental unit for their kind loan for my new camera Grin

is win 7 going to be the revolutionary change like win 95 coming along to replace win 3.11 - winXP has been my fav so far so will be interesting to see if win 7 holds up to the positive reviews. i never did bother with vista - at one time i had a winxp skin that made it look like vista but hated it Grin

MikeA
MikeA  91151 forum posts England
22 Oct 2009 - 11:58 AM

Quote: So all you Microsoft bashers out there.....

What this space....!

I'll still give it the obligatory 12months before loading Wink

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
22 Oct 2009 - 12:05 PM

Quote: It makes XP look " Stone-Age " It makes Vista look like a big lumbering ole " Caveman " scratching his head....

To be honest I'm quite happy to stay in the stone age. I'm quite happy with XP, and if I'm going to spend money on software its going to be on applications rather than a new OS. If on the other hand I was running Vista I would change like a shot.

Will be upgrading my Ubuntu machine to 9.10 next week though.

Last Modified By cambirder at 22 Oct 2009 - 12:05 PM
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
22 Oct 2009 - 12:05 PM

Quote: Not a Microsoft basher, but I can't see why

Glad it's amusing to you, but why the partial quote?

I'll be upgrading my sister's PC from Vista to 7 once 7 gets delivered. Until then, I have no plans to touch Win 7. I use XP Pro at work, and have XP Pro for use with VMWare...if I ever bother to install it!

Last Modified By mdpontin at 22 Oct 2009 - 12:15 PM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 12:08 PM

Quote: Decided to have a test run, Using an old back-up machine, That had built out of many spare parts, The machine in question is about half the spec, You'd need to run Vista 64 bit......!

Windows 7, Loaded from scratch in under 15 minutes, And despite not having any system drivers what-so-ever, Runs like a dream....!!

So if I have a machine which is happily running XP with all the normal photo apps, is it going to happily run Windows 7? It's a dual core with 2gb.

Ian

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2009 - 12:08 PM

Helpful article here.

Those who would want to use the Upgrade option (Vista -> Windows 7) instead of doing a clean new install, will certainly want to read this article first!

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
22 Oct 2009 - 12:46 PM

Quote: Those who would want to use the Upgrade option (Vista -> Windows 7) instead of doing a clean new install, will certainly want to read this article first!

That's something MS need to sort out, an upgrade that cleared out all the PC slowing crap might persuade me to part with my money. The only Windows upgrade I ever did was from 98 to Me, never again. Many Linux distros on the other hand are a piece of cake, but they don't tend to be afflicted by the exponential slowing down Windows machines are prone to.

gary.d
gary.d  12134 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Oct 2009 - 12:47 PM

Quote: Quote:So all you Microsoft bashers out there.....

What this space....!I'll still give it the obligatory 12months before loading

Sound advice. That's why I've stuck with Leopard and not even considered Snow Leopard. I want my old scanners and printer to still work.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.