Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 7, Anyone tried it?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

redsnappa
redsnappa  121916 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Sep 2009 - 2:47 PM

Last week downloaded and installed the 90 day trial version of Windows 7 to my 3 year old computer and my first impressions were how quick it was, not only did it feel quicker than Vista it felt quicker than XP.

Running photoshop was a breeze and I think that everything that Microsoft cocked up with Vista it has more than made up for it by making Win7 so quick.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Sep 2009 - 2:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 3:44 PM

Absolutely, Windows 7 is absolutely amazing.

Its everything Vista should have been, And then some....Smile

Got my public release versions on Pre-Order.....Wink

For anyone interested, Its due for release in October 2009, If you buy before Jan 2010, You'll save loads of money.

I ran the RC1 beta version on an 5 year old Dell test machine, The improvement over XP was very suprizing, The same machine struggled like hell with Vista....!

Looking forward to running the release version on my current mega machines, Along with SSD's....Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 28 Sep 2009 - 3:47 PM
MadTrace
MadTrace  10268 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Sep 2009 - 6:25 PM

Famous last words, think I remember these initial flushes of excitement for Vista!!! LOL

redsnappa
28 Sep 2009 - 7:00 PM

My conputer was already faster than my nieces imac and Windows 7 hs made it even quicker.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 7:13 PM

Quote: flushes of excitement for Vista

Have you actually tried Windows 7...?

Bearing in mind the versions tested so far, Are only RC ( Release Candidates ) basically Beta test versions.

I have tested every pre-release version of Windows, Since Windows 95 through to Windows 7.

A brand new OS in Beta form, That installs faster, Boots faster, Has no issues with old or new hardware, Tried over 40 applications, Some old XP software, Guess what..They all worked perfectly.

I have tried to make Win 7 fall over, With stress testing software, But the hardware gave up first.

I guess all the cynics and Microsoft bashers, Will have to wait & see...Wink

Quote: already faster than my nieces imac

LOL...I have a Blackberry thats faster than an iMac....Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 28 Sep 2009 - 7:16 PM
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95919 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 7:27 PM

Quote:

I have a Blackberry thats faster than an iMac....

LMSO Smile

marc484ie
marc484ie  731 forum posts Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 9:54 PM

I'm using the full enterprise release of windows 7 and what an improvment. It's the x64 version. All my 32bit apps and drivers work great.

Really fast operating system. Faster than vista which I also have.

Totally blows mac osx out of the water. Well done Microsoft.

Some of the perks being an mcp and working in IT Support. Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96318 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 11:15 PM

Will you be holding a Party ?

The YouTube video is quite amusing !

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2009 - 11:26 PM

That video is so lame it almost becomes watch able as you look for the next cringe item.

I guess I must be doing something wrong as I saw it as being a tweaked version of Vista, and in terms of speed I do not see much difference.

Last Modified By strawman at 28 Sep 2009 - 11:28 PM
mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 7:50 AM

BEWARE if you version of windows media player stuffs up you CANNOT remove or repair it!! (not atm anyhows) totaly borked on here and you cant replace it with WMP11 either. HOPEFULLY they will resolve it when it PR in oct. i certainly wont be getting it until a few issues are resloved.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 11:51 AM

That is funny.

Never rule out one downmanship.

keith selmes
29 Sep 2009 - 3:08 PM

I enjoyed the Charlie Brooker thing. Not far wrong.

Quote:
tweaked version of Vista,

Sounds about right. Win 7 RC just seemed to install and run properly, works with various software that will be important to me, and is OK to use and quite unremarkable.

With Win7, the launch timing is more sensible than Vista was, and they seem to have tweaked the user end so people like it better. A lot of products have caught up with Vista compatibility and they work OK on Win 7. Some other products (like Kaspersky) have brought out a new version in step with Win 7. So its likely Win 7 will be generally acceptable, nothing to get excited about, just a sigh of relief.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 3:44 PM

Windows 7 is a tweaked Vista.
Snow leopard is a tweaked Leopard.

Maybe the manufacturers have run out of wizzy new features and are just concentrating on making an OS that works well. Can't be a bad thing.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72365 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
29 Sep 2009 - 4:10 PM

Quote: Maybe the manufacturers have run out of wizzy new features and are just concentrating on making an OS that works well. Can't be a bad thing.

it's about time. There will be minor tweaks to layout/design of things. But hopefully for the better now.

Im looking forward to 7.

redsnappa
29 Sep 2009 - 5:05 PM

Quote: Bearing in mind the versions tested so far, Are only RC ( Release Candidates ) basically Beta test versions.

Wrong! the version out now on the MS site is the 90 day full enterprise edition. RC versions are no longer available to the general public.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.