Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 7 Backup

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dave_Canon
    20 Dec 2012 - 9:57 AM

Having just installed a new PC, I need to decide on my backup strategy. I still have the old PC and its backups but will probably turn this into a Windows Home Server eventually. Meanwhile I might buy a 3 T Byte USB drive and I am considering using Windows 7 backup for both system image and data backups. Does anyone have any thoughts on Windows 7 backup; there seems little point in buying backup software if it is built in.

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Dec 2012 - 9:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2012 - 10:29 AM

I seem to remember Chris_L saying that the Windows 7 backup is really slow.

ikett
    ikett e2 Member 3317 forum postsikett vcard England
    20 Dec 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have used it, it is slow doing a backup but I run it Sunday evening,
    I can vouch it works.

MartinBrown
    MartinBrown e2 Member 394 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
    20 Dec 2012 - 10:37 AM

To make an exact system image or to clone drives i use EaseUs. Its quick easy to setup and hasle free plus its FREE

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2012 - 10:37 AM

It is built-in but as Lobsterboy recalls it is very slow. Or it can be. If you let it manage backups it does some fast ones and then one that takes ages. I do one weekly and sometimes it takes 1/2 hour sometimes two hours. So if you do choose to use it decide when would be a convenient time to set up its scheduled backup. I use an external drive via USB. If I forget to plug it in it reminds me and once plugged in it gets on with it at the later date/time. It is mildly irritating if I have a sudden urge to use the machine (funnily enough on a Sunday evening like ikett!) but not as irritating as losing data!Smile

Last Modified By Scutter at 20 Dec 2012 - 10:38 AM
    Dave_Canon
    20 Dec 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for advice so far. I am not sure that slow would be a problem to me. My old PC used Norton Save & Restore for backups and saving an image of the C: drive would take 6-8 hrs. Even just saving all the data took 6 hours or so. I did try using incremental saves but this filled the backup drive very quickly even though it was a little quicker. I often backup overnight so slow would not concern me but more importantly I am re-assured by ikett that it works. I have in the past used Acronis and it worked very well but I would have to pay for a current version.

Dave

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2012 - 11:35 AM

Todo is OK.....!

But for system image the built in Win 7 version takes some beating, How slow it is may depend on your system though.

For test purposes I tested the system image side of things on 5 separate systems, So that I could at least say it works from first hand experience.

The answer " YES " it works perfectly everytime, Basically you get a Clone of the original system, One thing to keep in mind, Drive size, If as one of my tests you take an image from a 128Mb SSD drive, Then install that to a 256Mb drive, It works fine, But your 256 drive will show as a 128Mb drive, You then have to format the missing 128Mb with something like " Todo " or the Easeus partition software.

No big problem, Just something to be aware of, I have yet to try the same test with a " Preformatted " drive, This might negate that issue, Obviously going from drives that are the same size, Will not produce this aspect.

So as far as a clone job goes Win 7's on-board everytime, The back up works fine to, So why waste money on third part software.

Wink

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2012 - 11:36 AM

Quote: But your 256 drive will show as a 128Mb drive, You then have to format the missing 128Mb with something like " Todo " or the Easeus partition software.

Why can't you do it with the disk administrator ?

User_Removed
    20 Dec 2012 - 2:35 PM

It isn't so much that it's slow but that it slows down the computer when it's running. Okay if you schedule it to run when you're not at the PC and it completes in time. Other than that it's very good.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.