Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 7 desktop background

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Cephus
Cephus  92126 forum posts England
14 Jan 2012 - 9:43 PM

Please excuse me if I show off my communication skills and in-depth knowledge of IT & computing ..................... publicly TongueTongue

I can't seem to be able to change windows 7 desktop background. any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Jan 2012 - 9:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3782 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 - 9:46 PM

Simplest way to change it is to navigate to a jpeg file that you want to use, right-click on it and select "Set as desktop background".

Cephus
14 Jan 2012 - 9:49 PM

Thanks, I've tried that but nothing changes I've also tried through the control panel but that deosn't seem to work either.

Last Modified By Cephus at 14 Jan 2012 - 9:49 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64341 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2012 - 9:58 PM

Control Panel / Personalisation
Do it from there.

ianfox
ianfox  4 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 - 10:02 PM

If you're on windows 7 starter version you can't change the background. That feature is only available in the premium version.

Not much of a premium feature if you ask me.

Cephus
14 Jan 2012 - 10:03 PM

Quote: Control Panel / Personalisation
Do it from there.

I've tried that too but no joy. Sad

User_Removed
14 Jan 2012 - 10:13 PM

If you right click on an *empty* area of your desktop do you get a menu item Personalise? Does that let you change your theme (themes can override backgrounds). Also, as Ian says, it can depend on your version of Windows.

Cephus
14 Jan 2012 - 10:45 PM

Quote: If you right click on an *empty* area of your desktop do you get a menu item Personalise? Does that let you change your theme (themes can override backgrounds). Also, as Ian says, it can depend on your version of Windows.

I have windows 7 Premium and have managed to change the background to a solid colour using the method you suggest and although I have selected a jpg I doesn't change.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
14 Jan 2012 - 11:16 PM

Sounds like you are running something that doesn't support Aero, so Windows has changed your colour scheme to Basic. This happens to me when I share my desktop using our company virtual room software, or running an older version of something like Paint Shop Pro.

rob_marshall
14 Jan 2012 - 11:30 PM

1. Go to personalise
2. Select desktop background
3. Where it says 'picture location' select BROWSE
4. Go to the directory where the JPEG is for the background (it won't go further into the directory but just click ok to set the folder)
5. When you get back to the selection screen it should have placed all the jpegs in that folder in the view window and they should be checked.
6. Uncheck them all with the button at the top then select the one you want as backdrop and save
7. If you want more than one then click others, not just one. You can then right click on the desktop and force a change of backdrop from your selected files.
8. You might need to adjust the dimensions of the jpeg to fit your screen, or try the position options at the bottom of the screen below.

1-capture.jpg

Last Modified By rob_marshall at 14 Jan 2012 - 11:33 PM
Cephus
15 Jan 2012 - 9:14 AM

Thanks for the reply but Iv'e tried that and but t still remains the same. Sad

Big Bri
15 Jan 2012 - 9:41 AM

Try just going into Personalization from right clicking the desktop, then select one of the Aero Themes.

rob_marshall
15 Jan 2012 - 9:45 AM

Quote: Try just going into Personalization from right clicking the desktop, then select one of the Aero Themes.

It works, on my machine, for non-Aero themes as well.

Cephus - can you get to the stage of setting the directory as I detailed above and getting a list of jpegs which you can select? If so, when you select one does the desktop image change to what you have set?

When you select a jpeg are you sure you are saving the setting (at the bottom of the screen)?

Last Modified By rob_marshall at 15 Jan 2012 - 9:47 AM
Big Bri
15 Jan 2012 - 9:49 AM

But if you have accidentally selected a Basic theme, it turns a lot of stuff off, and the quickest way to turn it back on is to select an Aero theme.

Cephus
15 Jan 2012 - 11:52 AM

I can get to the stage of setting the directory, selecting a picture, save changes but nothing changes.

I have just created another administrator account and I am able to make changes using the new account.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.