Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Windows 7 desktop background

Cephus e2
10 2.2k England
14 Jan 2012 9:43PM
Please excuse me if I show off my communication skills and in-depth knowledge of IT & computing ..................... publicly TongueTongue

I can't seem to be able to change windows 7 desktop background. any help would be appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 9:46PM
Simplest way to change it is to navigate to a jpeg file that you want to use, right-click on it and select "Set as desktop background".
Cephus e2
10 2.2k England
14 Jan 2012 9:49PM
Thanks, I've tried that but nothing changes I've also tried through the control panel but that deosn't seem to work either.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
14 Jan 2012 9:58PM
Control Panel / Personalisation
Do it from there.
ianfox e2
4 19 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 10:02PM
If you're on windows 7 starter version you can't change the background. That feature is only available in the premium version.

Not much of a premium feature if you ask me.
Cephus e2
10 2.2k England
14 Jan 2012 10:03PM

Quote:Control Panel / Personalisation
Do it from there.

I've tried that too but no joy. Sad
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 10:13PM
If you right click on an *empty* area of your desktop do you get a menu item Personalise? Does that let you change your theme (themes can override backgrounds). Also, as Ian says, it can depend on your version of Windows.
Cephus e2
10 2.2k England
14 Jan 2012 10:45PM

Quote:If you right click on an *empty* area of your desktop do you get a menu item Personalise? Does that let you change your theme (themes can override backgrounds). Also, as Ian says, it can depend on your version of Windows.

I have windows 7 Premium and have managed to change the background to a solid colour using the method you suggest and although I have selected a jpg I doesn't change.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 11:16PM
Sounds like you are running something that doesn't support Aero, so Windows has changed your colour scheme to Basic. This happens to me when I share my desktop using our company virtual room software, or running an older version of something like Paint Shop Pro.
rob_marshall 3 96 1 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 11:30PM
1. Go to personalise
2. Select desktop background
3. Where it says 'picture location' select BROWSE
4. Go to the directory where the JPEG is for the background (it won't go further into the directory but just click ok to set the folder)
5. When you get back to the selection screen it should have placed all the jpegs in that folder in the view window and they should be checked.
6. Uncheck them all with the button at the top then select the one you want as backdrop and save
7. If you want more than one then click others, not just one. You can then right click on the desktop and force a change of backdrop from your selected files.
8. You might need to adjust the dimensions of the jpeg to fit your screen, or try the position options at the bottom of the screen below.

1-capture.jpg

Cephus e2
10 2.2k England
15 Jan 2012 9:14AM
Thanks for the reply but Iv'e tried that and but t still remains the same. Sad
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2012 9:41AM
Try just going into Personalization from right clicking the desktop, then select one of the Aero Themes.
rob_marshall 3 96 1 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2012 9:45AM

Quote:Try just going into Personalization from right clicking the desktop, then select one of the Aero Themes.

It works, on my machine, for non-Aero themes as well.

Cephus - can you get to the stage of setting the directory as I detailed above and getting a list of jpegs which you can select? If so, when you select one does the desktop image change to what you have set?

When you select a jpeg are you sure you are saving the setting (at the bottom of the screen)?
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2012 9:49AM
But if you have accidentally selected a Basic theme, it turns a lot of stuff off, and the quickest way to turn it back on is to select an Aero theme.
Cephus e2
10 2.2k England
15 Jan 2012 11:52AM
I can get to the stage of setting the directory, selecting a picture, save changes but nothing changes.

I have just created another administrator account and I am able to make changes using the new account.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.