Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 7 help please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Cephus
Cephus  92100 forum posts England
31 Dec 2011 - 1:54 PM

I am running Windows 7 on a Dell Laptop. Each time I switch on I get a message indicating that a new device has been detected and installation of the appropriate software has been unsuccessful. There are no external devices connected to the laptop.

How can I stop this from happening??

Is it just me or does Windows 7 suck?? Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Dec 2011 - 1:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
31 Dec 2011 - 2:05 PM

Quote: Is it just me or does Windows 7 suck??

Yup. As did Vista. I find it significant that there is talk of a Windows 8 shipping in 2012 - and so 'soon' (in relative terms) after launch of v7..

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Dec 2011 - 2:06 PM
cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
31 Dec 2011 - 2:08 PM

Its probably a dodgy bit of hardware in your PC that Windows does not recognise as already being installed and tries but fails to instal it every time you boot it up.

If you go to Control panel > Find and fix problems > Configure device you should hopefully find what is causing the problem.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
31 Dec 2011 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Yup. As did Vista

You must be joking, 7 is nothing like the piece of poo Vista was

Cephus
31 Dec 2011 - 2:19 PM

Quote: Its probably a dodgy bit of hardware in your PC that Windows does not recognise as already being installed and tries but fails to instal it every time you boot it up.

If you go to Control panel > Find and fix problems > Configure device you should hopefully find what is causing the problem.

I tried this but all it does is tell me that there is a problem but cant fix it.

Thanks for your input. Smile

User_Removed
31 Dec 2011 - 2:22 PM

Quote: I find it significant that there is talk of a Windows 8 shipping in 2012

I don't. Microsoft want to quickly capitalise on the big success of the tile interface of the Windows phone.

Quote: As did Vista

Really. Why does Windows 7 suck Mike? Do you use Windows 7. I've only ever hear you praising the Mac.

Cephus open the Device Manager to find the name of the dodgy device. Dell probably have an update for it. It's not Windows' fault.

User_Removed
31 Dec 2011 - 2:38 PM

Quote: I've only ever hear you praising the Mac.

Really? You must keep up Chris. Wink

Quote: Do you use Windows 7

Yes - at least I support my son's laptop running it! Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Dec 2011 - 2:38 PM
User_Removed
31 Dec 2011 - 2:52 PM

So you only use it when your son has a problem? Hardly going to give you a balanced view? I know my nephew downloads everything and anything despite all warnings.

What sucks about it Mike?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Dec 2011 - 2:54 PM
Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Dec 2011 - 2:57 PM

Quote: I tried this but all it does is tell me that there is a problem but cant fix it.

Not like windows Tongue It'll probably fix itself after a few reboots, windows seems to confuse itself a lot, but given the number of windows advocates and experts surely one one them has a solution?

redsnappa
redsnappa  111880 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Dec 2011 - 3:00 PM

Quote: Each time I switch on I get a message indicating that a new device has been detected and installation of the appropriate software has been unsuccessful

This behaviour normally ocurs where a device driver has not been installed or is not compatible with Windows 7.

You can check for this by going into device manager, items that don't have correct drivers installed will be marked with a yellow exclamation mark.

To access device manager open control panel, click system then click Device manager

Cephus
31 Dec 2011 - 4:56 PM

Quote: This behaviour normally ocurs where a device driver has not been installed or is not compatible with Windows 7.

You can check for this by going into device manager, items that don't have correct drivers installed will be marked with a yellow exclamation mark.

To access device manager open control panel, click system then click Device manager

@ redsnappa Thanks for your help, it was an unknown imaging device possibly an non compatible scanner I tried to install earlier.

But I still think Windows 7 Sucks. Tongue

Last Modified By Cephus at 31 Dec 2011 - 4:57 PM
MeanGreeny
31 Dec 2011 - 5:13 PM

Quote: it was an unknown imaging device possibly an non compatible scanner I tried to install earlier.

Don't you just love it when people show off their communication skills and in-depth knowledge of IT & computing ..................... publicly?

redsnappa
redsnappa  111880 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Dec 2011 - 5:20 PM

You install a device that is incompatible with Win 7 then moans when it does not work. Typical of some people.

Quote: But I still think Windows 7 Sucks

Instead of just sitting there and moaning and wingeing get of your ass and do somthing about it.

No one forces you to use Windows, you do have a choice, for instance you could format your hard drive to get rid of Windows 7 and install linux on your dell computer or do a web search for 'hackingtosh' and install Mac OSX.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 31 Dec 2011 - 5:28 PM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 101497 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2011 - 5:27 PM

Quote: you do have a choice,

Yeah, buy a mac, Chris_L and Swwills will asssit you in your quest should you need advice.

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2011 - 5:30 PM

Quote: This behaviour normally ocurs where a device driver has not been installed or is not compatible with Windows 7.

@ redsnappa Thanks for your help, it was an unknown imaging device possibly an non compatible scanner I tried to install earlier.

Then you are using it wrong, or your machine isnt good enough to run it?

Its the best windows operating system yet IMO.... i have had NO faults with mine, and use it Daily.... it installs faster and easier than previous versions, and is alot smoother when running too.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.