Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Windows 7 versus Windows 8

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
8 Mar 2013 3:31PM
My computer is coming up to 5 years old which, I believe, will qualify it for a State Pension! Wink Grin Gosh, it runs Windows Vista as well: and I must be the only Vista user who hasn't had any problems, judging by the negativity on the web.........

..... anyway, I am thinking about getting a replacement. The question is: as regards the OS should I go for Windows 7, which seems well-regarded or the newer Windows 8, which seems less well-regarded.

Anyone else faced this choice? Pros and cons? Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2013 3:39PM
Robbie recently bought herself a laptop which has Windows 8 on it and it is fine, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Yes it looks different but we've not found any problems with it yet, apart from the fact the Dropbox port to Windows 8 doesn't yet allow you to upload files.

My view would be go for Windows 8, on a new machine why lumber yourself with an out of date operating system.
8 Mar 2013 3:46PM
I'll second the above.

The main reason folk got upset with Windows 8 was because it looks different. Its had a face-lift and contrary to what people think, its actually more user friendly (you can basically set up your start screen the way YOU want it). Ive been running Windows 8 since its beta stage (after upgrading from win7) and not had any major problems or issues to report.

Pros: Its the most up to date OS, its fast, and once you get past the new interface its pretty straightforward

Cons: Some older progs you may have might not run on the new OS (although only if you have really old versions that havent been regularly updated)
8 Mar 2013 3:52PM
It works fine, no reason to opt for windows 7 over windows 8. Make sure and get the 64bit version and also a fast ssd drive for the os and programs drive.
bppowell 13 2.1k 2 England
8 Mar 2013 3:57PM
I have window 8 and for me the new interface was a pain, even trying to close a program was a hassle.

I installed the Menu8 plugin which gave me back my start menu and took away the clutter.

I now have a nice clean background and I am happy.
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
8 Mar 2013 4:03PM

Quote:My computer is coming up to 5 years old which, I believe, will qualify it for a State Pension! Wink Grin Gosh, it runs Windows Vista as well:

That's nowt. I'm on a 7 year old machine with XP, but am thinking about buying a new computer so I'll watch with interest re the Win 7/8 debate.

I just hope my Elements 5 will still work with either I choose.

Smile
8 Mar 2013 4:04PM

Quote:I have window 8 and for me the new interface was a pain, even trying to close a program was a hassle.

Where is the hassle in pressing alt-f4, just like with previous versions of Windows?
8 Mar 2013 4:07PM
Lots of users don't no or just don't use shortcuts, can't blame the OS for that.

cut and paste involves going to b&q for wall paper and paste to make a new desktop wallpaper.
8 Mar 2013 4:09PM
If the app has been ported properly to Windows 8 you don't actually need to close it, drag it down to the bottom of the screen will consign it to the task bar and it will shut automatically after a certain amount of idle time.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
8 Mar 2013 5:45PM
Go for Windows 8.
It defaults to a desktop anyway. Just instal a (free) aftermarket start menu and it becomes Windows 7.
Best of both worlds.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2013 6:03PM
Windows 8
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
8 Mar 2013 6:04PM
What is the real issue about closing a programme in Windows 8? Whilst I know about Alt+F4, I've never had to use it on Vista... there always an 'x' at the top right of the screen to click.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2013 6:08PM
Don't worry about it, it's a non issue, it only affects programs that run full-screen in a sort of app/tablet mode.

If you can use Vista or Windows 7 you can very easily get Windows 8 to behave in the same way that you're used to or learn new features that you might like should you want to.
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2013 6:40PM
Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a new startup screen with a few odds and sods thrown in for good measure, but behind everything, its Windows 7 O/S.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
8 Mar 2013 6:49PM
CB, you might want to ask around to see if Microsoft Flight Sim X will run on 8. It's an old program that hasn't been updated in years.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.