Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 7 versus Windows 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 3:31 PM

My computer is coming up to 5 years old which, I believe, will qualify it for a State Pension! Wink Grin Gosh, it runs Windows Vista as well: and I must be the only Vista user who hasn't had any problems, judging by the negativity on the web.........

..... anyway, I am thinking about getting a replacement. The question is: as regards the OS should I go for Windows 7, which seems well-regarded or the newer Windows 8, which seems less well-regarded.

Anyone else faced this choice? Pros and cons? Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Mar 2013 - 3:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 3:39 PM

Robbie recently bought herself a laptop which has Windows 8 on it and it is fine, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Yes it looks different but we've not found any problems with it yet, apart from the fact the Dropbox port to Windows 8 doesn't yet allow you to upload files.

My view would be go for Windows 8, on a new machine why lumber yourself with an out of date operating system.

paulcookphotography

I'll second the above.

The main reason folk got upset with Windows 8 was because it looks different. Its had a face-lift and contrary to what people think, its actually more user friendly (you can basically set up your start screen the way YOU want it). Ive been running Windows 8 since its beta stage (after upgrading from win7) and not had any major problems or issues to report.

Pros: Its the most up to date OS, its fast, and once you get past the new interface its pretty straightforward

Cons: Some older progs you may have might not run on the new OS (although only if you have really old versions that havent been regularly updated)

GarethRobinson

It works fine, no reason to opt for windows 7 over windows 8. Make sure and get the 64bit version and also a fast ssd drive for the os and programs drive.

bppowell
bppowell  122119 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 3:57 PM

I have window 8 and for me the new interface was a pain, even trying to close a program was a hassle.

I installed the Menu8 plugin which gave me back my start menu and took away the clutter.

I now have a nice clean background and I am happy.

JohnParminter

Quote: My computer is coming up to 5 years old which, I believe, will qualify it for a State Pension! Wink Grin Gosh, it runs Windows Vista as well:

That's nowt. I'm on a 7 year old machine with XP, but am thinking about buying a new computer so I'll watch with interest re the Win 7/8 debate.

I just hope my Elements 5 will still work with either I choose.

Smile

Last Modified By JohnParminter at 8 Mar 2013 - 4:03 PM
digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 4:04 PM

Quote: I have window 8 and for me the new interface was a pain, even trying to close a program was a hassle.

Where is the hassle in pressing alt-f4, just like with previous versions of Windows?

GarethRobinson

Lots of users don't no or just don't use shortcuts, can't blame the OS for that.

cut and paste involves going to b&q for wall paper and paste to make a new desktop wallpaper.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 8 Mar 2013 - 4:10 PM
digicammad
8 Mar 2013 - 4:09 PM

If the app has been ported properly to Windows 8 you don't actually need to close it, drag it down to the bottom of the screen will consign it to the task bar and it will shut automatically after a certain amount of idle time.

Jestertheclown

Go for Windows 8.
It defaults to a desktop anyway. Just instal a (free) aftermarket start menu and it becomes Windows 7.
Best of both worlds.

User_Removed
8 Mar 2013 - 6:03 PM

Windows 8

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 6:04 PM

What is the real issue about closing a programme in Windows 8? Whilst I know about Alt+F4, I've never had to use it on Vista... there always an 'x' at the top right of the screen to click.

User_Removed
8 Mar 2013 - 6:08 PM

Don't worry about it, it's a non issue, it only affects programs that run full-screen in a sort of app/tablet mode.

If you can use Vista or Windows 7 you can very easily get Windows 8 to behave in the same way that you're used to or learn new features that you might like should you want to.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Mar 2013 - 6:08 PM
puertouk
puertouk  21010 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 6:40 PM

Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a new startup screen with a few odds and sods thrown in for good measure, but behind everything, its Windows 7 O/S.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 6:49 PM

CB, you might want to ask around to see if Microsoft Flight Sim X will run on 8. It's an old program that hasn't been updated in years.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 8 Mar 2013 - 6:50 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.