Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 7 versus Windows 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 7:46 PM

Quote: Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a new startup screen with a few odds and sods thrown in for good measure, but behind everything, its Windows 7 O/S.

That's pretty much sums it up really.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Mar 2013 - 7:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bppowell
bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 7:48 PM

Quote: Where is the hassle in pressing alt-f4, just like with previous versions of Windows

I have worked in IT for 15 years and no one I know uses that to close a program, most just click the little x in the corner.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 7:55 PM

Quote: I have worked in IT for 15 years and no one I know uses that to close a program, most just click the little x in the corner.

...which works just the same in Windows8

bppowell
8 Mar 2013 - 7:57 PM

.. not if there is no little x to click.

Jestertheclown

Quote: .. not if there is no little x to click.

There usually is though.

See Chris's comment on the previous page.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 8 Mar 2013 - 8:20 PM
bppowell
8 Mar 2013 - 8:31 PM

Even though I have installed Menu8 when Adobe Reader starts it starts full screen, there is no x to click to close it. The only way I have found is move the mouse to the top left corner and click the screen to take me back to the desktop. This does not close the reader, only take me back.

I think this is horses for courses here, I am happy with Windows 8 and like the way I have it set up, others may prefer to use the apps.

lobsterboy
8 Mar 2013 - 8:37 PM

click in the middle at the top and drag all the way down.
or install a different pdf reader

User_Removed
8 Mar 2013 - 8:40 PM

I reckon it's not Adobe Reader that's running, unless you change default behaviour PDFs in Windows 8 are opened by default in Windows 8 "Reader".

Any of those full screen apps like Reader are closed by grabbing them top middle and quickly dragging them down and 'throwing' them offscreen. Takes two or three goes to get used to it.

Oops crossposted

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Mar 2013 - 8:40 PM
bppowell
8 Mar 2013 - 8:58 PM

Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go next time it pops up.

I never gave it much thought about not being Adobe Reader.

Dave_Canon
8 Mar 2013 - 10:42 PM

I ordered a new PC on the day that W8 came out but even by then there were many negative reviews particularly in the photoediting world so I chose W7. However, a few weeks later we bought another Laptop fot my Club which came with W8 (no choice) and it has been quite a problem in that no one is familiar with W8. It does feel very different but without any advantages unless you have a touchscreen which is not relevant for most photo editing work.

As I now have XP, Vista, W7 and W8 on my home network, I am of the impression that Vista has most security protection making is very hard to work with on the network, XP seems to be wide open and W7 seem to have a better balance between ease of access and security. W8 seems much like W7 in this respect. To be fair in the 5 years I have been using Vista, I have had absolutely no problems and it is the only Microsoft OS about which I could say this. Nevertheless, I am happy to be using W7 now even though I have already seen a few blue screen (reminds me of XP).

Dave

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2013 - 1:21 AM

Thanks muchly guys - your comments are very helpful: sounds to me like W8 is nothing to be concerned about, just a matter of getting used to it. Smile

Quote: CB, you might want to ask around to see if Microsoft Flight Sim X will run on 8. It's an old program that hasn't been updated in years.

Cheers, Denny. I hardly ever use it now but I will check on the fansites to see what they say.

Quote: To be fair in the 5 years I have been using Vista, I have had absolutely no problems

Nor have I Dave. Smile

paulcookphotography

One thing to keep in mind with any new OS

Every single one that went before was hated at the start!

Google any OS and you will read about the horror stories and nightmares folk have had, Strangely ask pretty much anyone you know and you will never hear a case of those devastating scenarios where they lost everything and nothing could be recovered (at least from legal OS versions).

The surprising thing about technology is (most) folk dont like change, even though it makes life easier and often offers things they wanted (look at the film to digital movement and how much the goal posts have moved on when digital equals film quality versus how many folk moved to digital)

JohnParminter
14 Mar 2013 - 8:15 AM

Actually, I've no need to worry about W7 or 8. By the time I stop fannying around and actually buy a new computer, Windows 21 will be out, I'll worry about that one instead.....

Smile

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 4:01 PM

I have just upgraded my computer to something more powerful after taking advice from these forums. My old pc used Vista and the new one has Windows 8. I have spent the last 4 days setting up the new machine and getting to grips with the new operating system which is certainly very different. I think that I have now mastered the basic changes but there are still a few things that I need to get to grips with.

All in all Windows 8 is not too daunting but it is a little confusing to start with.

By the way I noticed a magazine in the newsagents that had a front page saying something like "Microsoft Blue - will it replace Windows 8". I've no idea what it was about but as has been said "nothing stays still for very long in the technology world".

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2013 - 7:09 PM

Microsoft Blue seems to be some sort of 'feature pack' for Windows 8 rather than a replacement, from what I've read on the web.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.