Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 7 versus Windows 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 9:59 AM

You will hardly notice any difference really, just a much bigger start menu & the off button is a bit more fun to find.
If you use "desktop" it is basically a slightly improved Windows 7.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2013 - 9:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
19 Mar 2013 - 10:08 AM

Quote: I also have Windows7 right now and want to switch to the Windows8...
is it good to switch to Windows8 or not ????

Unless you have touch screen technology on your PC there is little point in upgrading. Windows 7 works well and as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

thewilliam
19 Mar 2013 - 12:25 PM

She-who-must-be-obeyed has just bought a new laptop which has Windows 8 and it's totally different from the XP that's standard in our shared office. All her favourite software moved across without any trouble so she's not complaining.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85907 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 9:21 PM

Our Dan had a new laptop a few weeks ago
A few clicks and he uses it as W7 rather than W8Wink

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
23 Mar 2013 - 11:26 AM

Has anyone upgraded their PC from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

If so, what were the greatest advantages of doing so?

I use an i7, 16Gb RAM machine with Windows 7 which runs Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 very efficiently and wonder if it is worth upgrading the OS to Windows8?

onetrickpony
23 Mar 2013 - 12:12 PM

I use windows 8 and I HATE it. It makes no sense. There are two completely different interfaces - the 'ap' interface and the traditional desktop interface that runs as an ap. A lot of programs won't run as 'apps' and therefore must be run as desktop programs. This means that if you frequently operate with several programs open, like I do, you constantly have to remember whether that program is running as an app or on the desktop when you want to switch between programs. To make matters worse, it can be clunky to operate programs as apps. For example, say you have your web browser open and you want to re-type something from a browser (I do this a lot, retyping words from pictures). Whereas with windows 7, you can choose the window sizes and have both easily visible, Windows 8 only lets you have one app visible on precisely one fifth of the screen and one other app visible on the other part of the screen, unless you re-launch both as desktop applications. What's worse is that the start screen is really ugly, as are a lot of the screens. It also has two versions of programs such as file explorer. It has the old, sensible version and it has a shitty new version. If you run a program in desktop mode, you get the old file explorer when you need it (say, for example, when you right click a file in Chrome and choose 'save as'). If you run in app mode, then you get the new version, which is a) really ugly and b) completely useless, as it doesn't let you do things like create new folders.

I could go on about this all day, to be honest. But as a heavy PC user I find Windows 8 illogical and practically unbearable. Stay with windows 7.

Jestertheclown
23 Mar 2013 - 12:32 PM

Quote: I use windows 8 and I HATE it.

It seems to me that you're finding the hard way to do just about everything.
I can run all of the programmes on here from the desktop, which is just a slightly re-vamped Windows 7, without ever using the 'tiles' screen.
I only see that when the machine starts up. Otherwise, it automatically defaults to the desktop whenever I close something.
Admittedly, you'll need to instal a start menu but that's a simple task, costs nothing and there are various ones available. Once you've done that, you might as well be using Windows 7.

I will say though, to answer those members, above, if you're using Windows 7 on a desktop, without the need for touchscreen, then I wouldn't bother moving to Windows 8 for all of the reasons above.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 23 Mar 2013 - 12:32 PM
onetrickpony
23 Mar 2013 - 1:34 PM

"I can run all of the programmes on here from the desktop, which is just a slightly re-vamped Windows 7, without ever using the 'tiles' screen."

Yes, now I have changed all of the default access programs so that the app interface is never used and I run everything in desktop mode. Occasionally, things like pdfs mysteriously revert back to the default windows 8 viewer which runs as a clunky app which is less functional than the most basic free pdf viewers were ten years ago, and I have to go and change the default program to something more sensible again. I run most things as apps in chrome or desktop applications.

But, like you say, if you are trying to run everything like its windows 7 (which I think is what everyone does), you'd be better off with windows 7. Almost every 'upgrade' they have made sucks. You know, the new Microsoft word is almost as bad. I think microsoft might run into big problems sooner or later, if they don't re-start developing half decent software!

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
24 Mar 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the advice. It seems that I would not really have anything to gain by upgrading from7 to 8.

The reason that I asked the question was that, years ago, I upgraded from XP to Vista and wished that I hadn't. Didn't want to risk the same happening again. I guess I am probably better sticking with Windows 7 until I need a new machine and, at that stage, take whatever version of Windows is current at that time.

I suppose the other "must change" scenario would be if Adobe introduced an upgrade to Lightroom or Photoshop that wouldn't run on Windows 7 but, hopefully, that won't arise for several years.

onetrickpony
24 Mar 2013 - 1:04 PM

Almost every program released still supports windows XP, which is now 12 years old, so I don't think that they will be phasing out support for Windows 7 anytime soon.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122228 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2013 - 5:38 PM

This might help when you are talking about support from Microsoft

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.