Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2013 - 5:42 PM

I have just bought a new PC with windows 8 pre installed, I seem to be finding my way around it ok but an IT man has offered to install windows 7 and remove the windows 8 if I would prefer. I am no youngster but manage most things on the computer, I did try earlier to open a new folder for some emails I want to keep (mainly Internet purchases I am waiting on delivery and when complete another folder) I used to do that in 7 but can't find out in 8 how to do this. I can't find out either how to rename a folder! The other thing I am stuck on is opening more than one window and working from both if needed, so frustrating.
Mainly the new PC is for my photography and editing but I have not installed anything yet as the IT man suggested I get used to 8 first or make the decision to change to windows 7.
I would appreciate some advice if possible please.
Regards Ann

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 May 2013 - 5:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2013 - 6:35 PM

Hi Ann, Windows 8 is basically Windows 7, with a different face to it. Virtually everything on 8 is 7, so to speak. If you are OK with 7, ask the IT guy to put it to that. Windows 8 is basically for the new touch-screen PC from Windows.
Stephen

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2013 - 6:38 PM

Thanks Stephen appreciate your input
Ann

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9365 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
5 May 2013 - 6:59 PM

Lots of people on here have their own views of Windows 8 and i respect them. Personally i don't like Windows 8. As Stephen says it's really for touch screen PCs and tablets. I had a laptop with Windows 8 and installed Windows 7 which i prerfer. If you do get the hang of Windows 8 then then stick with it otherwise put 7 on it.

pluckyfilly
5 May 2013 - 7:03 PM

Thanks Umberto

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
5 May 2013 - 7:46 PM

Basically Windows 8 is 2 operating systems, The big start screen tiles that comes up & Windows 7 that you get to by clicking on the desktop button.
The problem is people think the big start screen is Windows 8, but its not really its just a front end for people who want to use windows 8 in a dumbed down touch way.

The big flash start screen appears on first loading that is designed for touch use. It has many apps on it but I wouldn't bother if you don't have touch screen as most of the apps arent as good as their desktop equivalents
Ignore it & simply click on the desktop panel and there is Windows 7, except:

No start menu, move over to the bottom left corner of the screen & the start menu box appears. left click on this to get the full screen start menu or right click on it to get quick access to control panel etc.
the trick with the start menu is once it appears to just type what you are looking for (no need to click anywhere it starts searching as soon as you type)
For example to transfer from you old machine just type transfer and windows easy transfer will be an option to help you copy across your stuff.

For programs you use all the time, search for it then right click on the icon & select pin to start bar and it will stay on the start bar so you can find it quite easily whenever you need to.

finally to shutdown you normally just close the laptop but you can do a complete shutdown by going to the top right corner, clicking setting then power & shut down.

For your mail problems, you should go to the desktop and install a desktop mail client like firefox. the built in one doesn't support folders.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 5 May 2013 - 7:47 PM
pluckyfilly
5 May 2013 - 8:51 PM

Thankyou so much Lobsterboy, this info will be a huge help and so much appreciated
Regards Ann

Jestertheclown
6 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

Chris sums it up nicely Ann.

The only thing I'd add is that if you really want to make '8' work (almost) exactly the same as '7,' you can download and instal an after market Start menu which will behave in precisely the same way as the one you're used to in '7' on your old machine.
Whilst I can respect your opinion Umberto, I really can't understand what it is that you can't cope with. You've tried to put people off of '8' in every thread that's been started about it.
The only thing that's intended for tablets is the tiles menu and you'll only see that as you start the machine. Click on 'desktop' and you're using '7.'
It will even default to the desktop each time you close something.
Whatever you do Ann, don't remove '8' in favour of '7.' You'd just be wasting your time and presumably, money.
As for an email client, I use Gmail via 'Thunderbird.'
That's a combination that'll give you more than enough folders and you can access all of your email addresses (assuming that, like me, you've got several) in one place.

Hope this helps.

Bren.

pluckyfilly
6 May 2013 - 7:43 AM

Thanks Bren this is also most helpful, going to try your suggestion right away
Ann

pluckyfilly
6 May 2013 - 7:48 AM

Only one thing Bren I am looking from your link and reading a page Major Geeks I don't want Reg Clean surely that's not where I want to be!!!

Jestertheclown

Good morning Ann.

No, you don't!

I"m sending this from my phone but as soon as I can get to my computer, I'll send you another link.

pluckyfilly
6 May 2013 - 8:13 AM

Thanks really kind of you Bren

Jestertheclown

Right! I'm back!

Have a look at this.

. . . or this.

. . . or there's this one. According to Cnet's download figures, this would seem to be the most popular.

Or this one. this is the one that I use.

The choice is yours Ann. They all do pretty much the same job and I think that they all offer you the option to use a version that mimics your old OS. Mine looks like the start menu from 'XP' for example.

Installing any one of them is simple. Simple enough, in fact, that I tried several until I settled upon the 'Classic-Shell' that I've been using since.

Try one or two. By lunchtime, you'll be whizzing around as if you were using '7' again!

Bren.

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9365 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
6 May 2013 - 9:26 AM

Quote:
Whilst I can respect your opinion Umberto, I really can't understand what it is that you can't cope with. You've tried to put people off of '8' in every thread that's been started about it.

Hi Bren

Just my personal opinion. Thanks

Umberto

pluckyfilly
6 May 2013 - 9:32 AM

Thanks Bren now I am faced with a decision - option 1 takes me to Major Geeks already decided not to go thereSad option 3 looks good or your choice (the latter option) when I am in a window such as Major Geeks I cant find my way out, I can go top left or top right which will take me back to start! I have to get this sorted Smile before I throw a wobblyWink for instance to get back to your message I have to start afresh by reading in Hotmail then use the message link, cant keep on like this Grin I like a challenge but this is taking a challenge too far and its so time consumingBlush

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.