Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown
6 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

It sounds as if your browser is set up differently to mine. You seem to be seeing pages at 'full screen' which does sort of ring a bell.
If I click on one (or any) of the links above, it opens a new window but on a new tab.
If I close just that tab, it simply returns to this one, which is open beneath it, of course.
If I then use the red 'X' to close this one, it defaults back to the desktop, as if I was using '7' or XP.
I'll have a look on here and see if something's obviously different.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
6 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Right!

I think I know what you're doing.

If I click on certain tiles on the tiled interface, they open certain windows which, as you say, you can't seem to get rid of. I'm referring to the plain coloured ones marked 'weather' or 'photos' etc.
Don't use them as they will send you back to the tiles page.
Instead, as soon as you see the tiles, click on 'desktop' and open everything from there using the icons, or the copies you'll be gathering on the toolbar, as you would have done with '7.'
Once you get used to it and you've got a start menu installed, you won't look at the tiles at all.
I only use them from time to time as an alternative.
Which brings me to another alternative. '8' is bristling with keyboard shortcuts. There are shortcuts for just about everything. I read an article when I upgraded in an attempt to learn some of them.
Unsurprisingly, I failed to remember any of them!

bppowell
bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

If a window opens full screen the tip I was given is, place the mouse pointer at the top of the screen towards the centre when it changes to the "Hand", hold down the left button and drag toward the bottom of the screen, the window should minimise.

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

I use MSN premium and only just downloaded it as have decided to persevere with windows 8 - I can close down the page for EPZ not sure yet about the others but as I have been out to the local spring fayre I am now home and will find out shortlyWink

the message from bppowell could be useful, will try this as well

Bren I have started using the desktop and not the windows 8 page which shows you weather etc. I have a couple of things I use frequently pinned on the desk top

thanks Ann

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72367 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
7 May 2013 - 9:45 AM

Hi Ann,

Just out of interest, what screen resolution are you using now on Windows 8?

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 9:56 AM

OOO! thats a good question I will have to look Smile think its the recommended size David - wonder why you ask and now your going to tax my ability heheh!

pluckyfilly
7 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

1920x1080 that was easyGrin glad it was

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72367 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
7 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

nice Smile

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10876 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2876 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2013 - 10:31 PM

Windows 8 is excellent. Install the Obit app to give you the Windows7 Start button, and it looks like the old windows 7. But it is a LOT faster, especially with Photoshop.

To close any open window, place the cursor at the top of the screen where it turns into a hand; then click and hold the left button, where the hand closes; then drag the window down to the bottom of the screen and it gone.

Windows Key and X together give you access to control panel and lost of others. Windows Key and R open the run window.

W

Last Modified By banehawi at 29 Aug 2013 - 10:34 PM
MichaelMelb_AU
30 Aug 2013 - 12:12 AM

Quote: Windows 8 is excellent. Install the Obit app to give you the Windows7 Start button, and it looks like the old windows 7.

So why spoil the excellence by installing the third party shell - which would be different in it's particulars to both Win7 and Win8? I think all this voodoo with shells, settings, etc. is not really worth time spent on it. The user is better off with the system they find more comfortable to use. And if the choice is free - give me mouse controlled Win7 any day over touchscreen Win8 on non-touchscreen computer. Why plane controls in the car?

Jestertheclown
30 Aug 2013 - 6:43 AM

Have you any experience of Windows 8 Michael?

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 9:26 AM

Quote: Windows 8 is excellent. Install the Obit app to give you the Windows7 Start button, and it looks like the old windows 7.

Or you could wait until mid October when upgrade 8.1 is released which will see the return of the Start button, it will also allow users to circumvent the ‘Live tile’ interface built for touch screens and go directly to the desktop mode.

Jestertheclown
30 Aug 2013 - 9:39 AM

Or you could wait until mid October when upgrade 8.1 is released which will see the return of the Start button, it will also allow users to circumvent the ‘Live tile’ interface built for touch screens and go directly to the desktop mode.

You can do that already Ade.
I don't see the tiles unless I want to.

pluckyfilly
30 Aug 2013 - 9:42 AM

Interesting comments, I must look at this in more depth

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2013 - 9:50 AM

Quote: You can do that already Ade.

I think the current upgrade is only a beta version and that the automatic upgrade doesn't go live till October, but I stand corrected if I'm wrong (again) Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.